Wideman's Hit From Behind on Linesman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wideman's Hit From Behind on Linesman

WTF is this? I realize he just got shaken up, but his story about not seeing the guy sounds like a lot of bullshit.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/...CQD?li=BBnb7Kz

It's 20 games for hitting an official....seems to me that's fair....I'm not looking for 30 or 40...

and if I'm sitting out on my PED suspension your damn sure I'm in someone's ear making noise if nothing happens.

Comment

i have no problem with 20 or even more.

20 actually seems light to me.

40-80 seems more appropriate

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

Without a doubt he deserves a lengthy suspension. Can't believe how many people on social media are giving him the benefit of the doubt... "Oh he had blurry vision from the hit." Please. It was abundantly clear that was intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post
          Without a doubt he deserves a lengthy suspension. Can't believe how many people on social media are giving him the benefit of the doubt... "Oh he had blurry vision from the hit." Please. It was abundantly clear that was intentional.
          If blurred vision was an acceptable excuse for steamrolling officials there would historically be a list longer then John Holmes meat stick of flattened officials.

If you can't see, then you stay down.

{inhale} I HEART CLAUDE GIROUX {exhale}

sigpic

Comment

Here's Eric Macramalla's argument for Wideman: Why Dennis Wideman Shouldn't Be Suspended

Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman absolutely leveled linesman Don Henderson when he hit him from behind during a game against the Nashville Predators. It wasn’t pretty and many are calling for his suspension.
            Here’s the hit:

After the game. Wideman denied he intended to hit Henderson.

“I was just trying to get off the ice. And, at the last second, I looked up and saw him,” said Wideman after the game. “I couldn’t avoid it. I didn’t know where to go or how to get out of the way of him.”
            Wideman also apologized to Henderson on the ice.
            So is there enough here for a suspension? While at first glance it doesn’t look good, it would be a surprise to see Wideman suspended. The circumstances are such that Wideman’s account of the incident makes sense.
            Rule 40.2 of the NHL rulebook provides that a player will be suspended a minimum of 20 games if he “deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official”.

That same rules goes on to explain that “intent to injure” means applying physical force a player knew or ought to have known could reasonably result in injury.
            So in order to be suspended at least 20 games, Wideman must have formed the requisite intent to hit Henderson and also intended to injure him.
            Wideman was laboring to get back to the bench after being hit hard with his head apparently hitting the boards. As Wideman skated to his bench, Henderson was skating backwards to around the same spot. It could be reasonably be argued that when Wideman finally noticed Henderson at the last moment (while shaking off the big hit), he tried to avoid Henderson at the last moment by veering right while putting up his hands to protect himself. Before the collision, you can see Wideman signal for a line change with his stick, then drop his head in visible discomfort. When he pops his head back up, there’s Henderson. What followed was an unintended consequence, namely, a collision.
            This suggests that Wideman did not intend to hit Henderson, and by extension could not have formed the requisite intent to injure him.
            So it’s a tough argument to make that Wideman could be suspended under Rule 40.2. Intent to injure and deliberate contact seem to be missing, which is fatal to the application of Rule 40.2.
            Henderson is a linesman and not a referee. So the argument that the hit was retribution for a missed call is a bit strained.
            Assuming you buy that Wideman only saw Henderson at the very last moment, the key issue will be whether the force he used was appropriate and lacking intent and deliberation.
            Rule 40.3 includes a lower standard and provides for a minimum 10 game suspension if a player deliberately makes contact with a referee without intending to injure him.

Once again, a good interpretation of the events is that Wideman did not intend to hit Henderson; rather he was trying to avoid him.
            So Wideman shouldn’t be captured by Rule 40.3 since there was no deliberate contact.
            As this is an issue of interpretation, there will predictably be two camps on this. Overall, though, it would be a surprise to see Wideman suspended for what amounts to an accident. And any uncertainty will be resolved in favor of Wideman, who gets the benefit the doubt given his reputation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacramalla/2016/01/28/why-dennis-wideman-shouldnt-be-suspended/#24b5b036902f

What would Fred do?

Comment

In-person hearing is set for Tuesday. I just listened to an interview with Pierre LeBrun where he said the consensus among people he talked to is 3-10 games. And even he was defending the play due to the hit Wideman took in the corner and him being "out of it". I'm just not buying that. It looks like a straight up temper tantrum.

Comment

How can they give them anything less than 20? That is the minimum for abuse of official...no? Also, if you suspend him, its because he abused an official.

I'd like to know if their paths crossed in anyway in the past in a negative manner, where Wideman was peeved off.

Comment

He needs to use the James Neal defense: He was trying to avoid him.

That will work. No suspension.

Oh, he's not a Penguin? 40 games.

Seriously, he needs to sit for a long long time. 20+ is a good starting point. You gotta send a message to him, the other players and even the young hockey players watching at home. Hitting an official can not be tolerated.

Comment

A hit like that from behind even on another player should warrant a 1-3 game suspension. Up high and face first into the boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X