Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers Retired

Recchi conversation got me thinking.

So Lindros is going to the Hall of Fame. And when Howe went to the Hall of Fame, I remember the Flyers basically saying "well if he's an HHOF player, he should have his number retired". Voilą, #2 in the rafters. So I fully expect #88 to hit the rafters this season.

However, when Rex finally gets his call, will #8 hit the rafters? He definitely spent a big chunk of his career with the Flyers. But not the degree that Lindros or Howe spent with the Flyers. And obviously guys like Hawerchuk and Coffey didn't get #18 and #77 retired. So where is that cut off point to get your number retired if you are an HHOFer? Which side does Recchi fall on? My guess would be that he gets it retired once he gets his HHOF call.

I see your point; but I don't think Rex gets his number retired here. He bounced around the league a lot (especially as a rental at the end). Maybe it's just a perception thing, but when someone mentions Lindros, Howe et al you think "Philadelphia Flyers". When I hear Recchi, I just think of a great player. He won cups with Pit, Bos & Car, and played 22 years for 7 different teams.
    "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

that is a good point...the names that become synonymous with a particular team are often the guys that have their number retired..are there any players that have a number retired from two different teams? any sport?

Comment

Gretzky, by oilers, kings, and also league wide.

Comment

Looking at the Hall of fame site it is different than other sports, where players go non as being from a certain team. ThE Hockey HOF site lists all HOF players that ever played for a team, so Coffey is listed for the Flyers, even though he was only here for a cup of...

Comment

As an old timer, the number 8 is synonymous with Dave the Hammer Schultz. Despite not having the scoring impact of a Recchi, it could be argued that he was the personification of the Flyers identity on the Cup teams. Recchi was an excellent player in his time here, but hardly representative of the identity of the franchise. Just my humble opinion

Comment

Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
              that is a good point...the names that become synonymous with a particular team are often the guys that have their number retired..are there any players that have a number retired from two different teams? any sport?
              From Wikipedia:

Only six players have had their number retired by two different teams:
              • Bobby Hull - Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets
              • Gordie Howe - Detroit Red Wings and Hartford Whalers
              • Wayne Gretzky - Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings (also retired league-wide)
              • Ray Bourque - Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche
              • Mark Messier - New York Rangers and Edmonton Oilers
              • Patrick Roy - Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens

Comment

To answer the original question at hand... I don't think Recchi gets his number retired for the same reasons that have been said, but mainly, he's not "definitively" a Flyer.

Lindros will have a retirement this season. No doubt in my mind, especially with how the relationship has been repaired there in recent years.

Now, for anyone looking to have a little fun, I just learned a couple fun retired number trivia questions...
                1. Aside from #99 (being a league-wide retirement), what is the most popular retired number in the NHL?

Bonus question... who is the only person/people to have a number retired without playing an NHL game?

Comment

Personally, I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers.

I agree with TJ that #88 will be in the rafters. Seeing that Rex had more games in the O&B, that'll make it hard to say no when he gets into the Hall.

What would Fred do?

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
                    As an old timer, the number 8 is synonymous with Dave the Hammer Schultz. Despite not having the scoring impact of a Recchi, it could be argued that he was the personification of the Flyers identity on the Cup teams. Recchi was an excellent player in his time here, but hardly representative of the identity of the franchise. Just my humble opinion

Same thought, retiring Recchi's 8 without doing so for Schultz would be odd...

I'd sooner believe 27 was going to get retired for Reggie/Hexy

Schultz's 8 far bigger for the Flyers frachise.

Comment

Working...
                    X