Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Numbers Retired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by dsl135 View Post
    Now, for anyone looking to have a little fun, I just learned a couple fun retired number trivia questions...
    1. Aside from #99 (being a league-wide retirement), what is the most popular retired number in the NHL?



    Bonus question... who is the only person/people to have a number retired without playing an NHL game?
    I would guess 9, srarting with Howe, with later stars wearing their favorite players number.

    Bonus, I would guess somebody, not sure who, retiring a number for their fans, like Seattle seashawks and their 12th man.

    Along that vein, I expect Lou Nolan to have his Mike retired as some point, like Dave Zink off.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by dsl135 View Post

      Only six players have had their number retired by two different teams:
      Ray Bourque - Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche
      wow. I didn't realize the Avs retired Bourque's number. I know he won a cup with them and all, but he was only there a season and a half.
      "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

        wow. I didn't realize the Avs retired Bourque's number. I know he won a cup with them and all, but he was only there a season and a half.
        One of my brothers is an Avs fans... the rest of us have chirped him about that pretty much non-stop ever since. It's pretty embarrassing.

        Comment


        • #14
          Just something personal probably for me, but I think league-wide number retirements are a**inine.

          And while I'm at it, ***k #99! The Flyers franchise arguably suffered by his play, else my dreams would likely not have been shattered in '85 and '87. If I were a Vancouver, Calgary, or [original] Winnipeg fan especially, I think my heartbreak as a result of #99 would be even worse. So ***k that number being retired for the Flyers as well as for any other team he didn't play for.
          ( Though, of course, any player that would try to wear that number again would have to be a 100% **sclown, so nobody should ever be trying to pull it on regardless. )

          Comment


          • #15
            Well, Recchi has made the HHOF. I went to the site, and surprisingly, Recchi is in O&B in the composite photo with the rest of the new inductees.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by swami24
              Well, Recchi has made the HHOF. I went to the site, and surprisingly, Recchi is in O&B in the composite photo with the rest of the new inductees.
              It's the team he played the most # of games for...

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by swami24 View Post

                I would guess 9, srarting with Howe, with later stars wearing their favorite players number.

                Bonus, I would guess somebody, not sure who, retiring a number for their fans, like Seattle seashawks and their 12th man.

                Along that vein, I expect Lou Nolan to have his Mike retired as some point, like Dave Zink off.
                Had to go back, as I guess I never came back to give the answer... but you basically got it.

                #9 has been retired by 12 teams. That is the most.

                And the Minnesota Wild retired #1 "for their fans."

                Comment

                Working...
                X