X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyers sign Weise and Gordon

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Fillers?
    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
    Building a bottom six we can trust.

Gordon as 4C, Weise as 3RW. This means White will be gone for use and VDV can be our spare forward.

Comment

Like I said in the other thread, I have no problem with the Weise signing even though facebook and hockeybuzz seem pretty down on it.

To me there was no sense in targeting a very good forward this summer to shove into one of the 7 spots that the Flyers will want to protect in the expansion draft. Weise could end up being the player lost to the expansion draft next summer, and it wouldn't be a huge deal either way.
      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
      Official Facebook
      Official Twitter

Comment

Yeah White to Coyotes. Kinda effectively a swap for Gordon. Man. I don't get the Weise signing. I liked White better. This was an interesting bit:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.habse...client=safari#

A a guy I really wanted us to try was Joe Colborne. He came on at the end of the year. He can play all through the lineup. And he is young and big. Can't teach 6'5" and solid skills.

These signings are intereting.

Comment

Hard to believe Boyd Gordon will make the team unless he is just top notch on the PK. Gordon has averaged 6.5 goals per season, assuming he played 82 games per season (55 goals divided by 693 games). I saw reports that Weise will essentially replace Ryan White. I liked the Bellemare, Vandy, and White line last season. I don't know the roles these guys would play, but I'd like to have White back at the same salary and view Weise as a kind of replacement (at least in my mind) for Gagner or Read. Not as a 2nd line guy, but 3rd line. Sam showed some skills and worked reasonably hard, but whenever he made those "power moves" to the net, I just wished he was 6'2 and 210. Read can skate, but just had way too little production the last 2 years. Weise, as I recall, seems like a tough guy to play against and his likely totals of 10 to 14 goals would help boost production from the "role" players. His toughness will likely help if some of the really young guys make the team.

I was hoping for a 2nd line winger who could push Raffl down to the 3rd. I know there will be more changes, at least I certainly hope so, but if we re-up White for cheap, we could keep that effective grinding 4th line in place and maybe play Weise with Cousins and Laughton as a third line. That is not ideal, unless Laughton or Cousins can step up their offense. If we only made these changes, we would still be hard pressed for goal scoring from other than our top few forwards. Weise could be exposed in the expansion draft, and by then some of the youngsters (Konecny, Aube-Kubel, Rubstov) might be ready to step in?

I'm looking forward to some more moves, even with our limited cap space. I do have confidence in Hextall.

Comment

Okay, I had missed the White signing with the Coyotes. Work getting in the way of hockey again!

Comment

Gordon will be a PK'er to relieve Giroux

Comment

Originally posted by EDMFLYERSFAN View Post
                Gordon will be a PK'er to relieve Giroux
                Not a sexy pick-up, but I like it a lot.

Of all the centers who took more than 100 face-offs last season, Gordon was tied for fourth in winning percentage at 57.9%. His work on the PK, and taking a lot of defensive zone draws, should help Giroux focus more on his offensive game.
                What would Fred do?

Comment

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NH.../22648104.html

Best and worst deals. We have one listed in the worst column.
                  Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

I liked the edge and energy White brought, but Weise is the better skater and player. I think he'll improve our bottom six.

What would Fred do?

Comment

Working...
                    X