GDT: Flyers @ Blues

┬*
    ┬*
    Flyers Gameday: 12/28/16 @ STL, WJC Updates
    December 28, 2016, 9:50 AM ET┬*[77 Comments] ┬*
    Bill Meltzer
    ┬*Philadelphia Flyers Blogger Ľ NHL.com Ľ RSS┬*Ľ┬*Archive┬*Ľ┬*CONTACT
    PREVIEW: FLYERS @ BLUES

In their first game following a five-night break, Dave Hakstol's Philadelphia Flyers (19-12-4)┬*
    are on the road to take on Ken Hitchcock's St. Louis Blues (18-12-5) on Wednesday night. Game time at the Scottrade Center is 8:00 p.m. ET. The game will be nationally televised on NBC Sports Network as its Wednesday Night Rivalry broadcast.

This is the first of two meetings this season between the interconference teams. The clubs will rematch at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on February 6. Last season, the Flyers swept the season series, winning 4-2 in St. Louis on Dec. 10, 2015. On Dec. 21, Philly skated off with a 4-3 home victory. In both the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, the games played in St. Louis saw the teams play to 0-0 ties through 65 minutes before the Blues won via shootout.

Flyers Outlook

The Flyers produced a clunker in their final game before their holiday break. The team lost 4-0 to the New Jersey Devils, struggling for energy and losing their discipline. Following a 10-game winning streak, the Flyers went 1-2-1 in their final four games entering the break.

During the 10-game winning streak, the team averaged 3.50 goals per game while yielding just 2.20 goals per game. However, the Flyers have scored either zero or just one goal in four of their last five games.

Flyers goaltender Steve Mason, who has started 18 of the last 20 games, left the game in New Jersey after the first period. CSN Philadelphia's Tim Panaccio reported that Mason experienced minor back stiffness. He practiced per normal on Tuesday.

Fellow goaltender Michal Neuvirth, who has been out since mid-November with a sprained left knee, practiced with the team on Tuesday but is likely out until early January according to Flyers general manager Ron Hextall's injury updates before the holidays. Rookie Anthony Stolarz, who has made two starts and one relief appearance in Nevirth's absence, is still with the team.

With Michael Raffl dealing with a lower-body injury suffered last week, rookie Taylor Leier skated in his place on the top line at practice on Tuesday. Additionally, veteran defenseman Nick Schultz appears to be returning to the starting lineup with Brandon Manning the likely healthy scratch for Wednesday's game.

Sean Couturier (knee) is ready to return to the lineup but is sorting through a visa issue. He will most likely be available for Friday's game in San Jose. Matt Read (midsection) and Mark Streit (sprained left shoulder) re-joined practice on Tuesday but are not ready for contact yet.

Jakub Voracek leads the Flyers with 34 points (11 goals, 23 assists) in 35 games. Claude Giroux is second on the team with 30 points (nine goals, 21 assists), while Wayne Simmonds paces the club with 16 goals and eight power play tallies among his 29 points.

Brayden Schenn is fourth on the Flyers' scoring leaderboard with 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) in 32 games. He's followed by rookie forward Travis Konecny (four goals, 12 assists), Shayne Gostisbehere (four goals, 12 assists) and the injured Streit (five goals, 11 assists).

Rookie defenseman Ivan Provorov has 15 points (three goals, 12 assists) while dressing in all 35 games. The 19-year-old leads the Flyers in ice time and is already now routinely matched up against other teams' top lines.

Blues Outlook

The Blues last played on Dec. 22, dropping a 5-2 road decision to the Tampa Bay Lightning. St. Louis led 2-0 after the first period, and the game was tied 2-2 heading into the third period but the Blues were unable to stop the bleeding. David Perron and Wade Megan scored first-period goals for St. Louis. Jake Allen stopped 27 of 31 shots before Tampa tacked on an empty netter.

Carter Hutton will get the start in goal against the Flyers. Forward Paul Stastny (upper body injury) is ready to return to the lineup. However, defenseman Robert Bortuzzo remains out of the lineup indefinitely with a lower-body injury.

Dynamic forward Vladimir Tarasenko leads the Blues with 38 points (16 goals, 22 assists) in 35 games. He is followed by defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk (seven goals, 16 assists, minus-six), forward Jaden Schwartz (12 goals, nine assists), Robby Fabbri (eight goals, 12 assists), and Perron (nine goals, 10 assists).┬*

Key team stat comparisons┬*(NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.94 (T-6th), Blues 2.77 (11th)┬*
    Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.92 (24th), Blues 2.91 (23rd)
    Power play efficiency: Flyers 22.0% (6th), Blues 21.3% (7th)
    Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 82.1% (12th), Blues 87.4 (2nd)
    Shots on goal per game: Flyers 31.3 (6th), Blues 28.5 (26th)
    Shots against per game: Flyers 28.9 (8th), Blues 28.1 (5th)
    Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.4% (12th), Blues 51.5% (7th)

Projected Lineups┬*(subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

58 Taylor Leier - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek┬*
    11 Travis Konecny - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds
    76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 P-E Bellemare - 13 Roman Lyubimov
    25 Nick Cousins - 27 Boyd Gordon - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 47 Andrew MacDonald
    15 Michael Del Zotto- 3 Radko Gudas
    55 Nick Schultz - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

35 Steve Mason
    [41 Anthony Stolarz]

Scratches: Sean Couturier (visa issue), Michal Neuvirth (IR, knee), Matt Read (IR, abdominal area), Mark Streit (shoulder), Michael Raffl (lower-body).

BLUES

20 Alex Steen - 12 Jori Lehterń - 91 Vladimir Tarasenko
    17 Jaden Schwartz - 26-Paul Stastny - 57 David Perron
    15 Robby Fabbri - 21 Patrik Berglund - 23 Dmitrij Jaskin
    10 Scottie Upshall - 28 Kyle Brodziak - 75 Ryan Reaves

6 Joel Edmundson - 27 Alex Pietrangelo
    4 Carl Gunnarsson - 22 Kevin Shattenkirk
    19 Jay Bouwmeester - 55 Colton Parayko

40 Carter Hutton
    [34 Jake Allen]

Scratches: Robert Bortuzzo (lower body), Ty Rattie (healthy), Brad Hunt (healthy).

• alxhj
    replied
    On the other hand Lyubimov was an excellent signing. He's everything in terms of going to dirty areas and playing physically, that Wiese isn't.

Leave a comment:

• lynchmob450
    replied
    I watched him play up here in Montreal. He wasn't as good as his goals showed him to be. He was extremely opportunistic with many of his goals before drying up on his luck. When he was lucky, often it was due to going into the dirty areas. Then he got double digit goals and started to believe he was a 30 goal scorer and stopped grinsing for goals and staying out on the perimeter.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Kerr #12
    replied
    I would love for Wiese to turn it around and make the haters look foolish. However, I am not seeing it right now. Hopefully eventually we see the Montreal version instead of the Hawks version of Wiese.

Leave a comment:

• Rev_Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
    Crickets when we win, sky is falling when we lose. Never change O&B.
    Except, when people voice concerns while the team is winning...they get blown off...because "WINNING!"

..and when they voice concerns while the team is losing...they get called chicken littles

Something do never change...the stepford that runs deep in the blood of a lot of Philly fans (for any of the big 4)

If you didn;t see problems during the streak, and dont see them now...so be it....there's always next year..

...it's a great business motto for a pro sports franchise..

Leave a comment:

• behn3
    replied
    Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

The Weise signing was a swing and a miss for Hexy. One of the few that he has had. No one was competing with the Flyers for Weise. To give him the $$ plus term was a mistake, especially when White wanted to stay in Philly and would have accepted half the $$ and term.

At this point, the Weise signing has been a complete and utter failure! Not signing White and giving almost three times the money to Weise is extremely perplexing to me. Weise has been as invisible on the ice as any Flyer I can ever remember in the history of the organization! White knew his role and even chipped in with some goals here and there as a fourth liner. He killed penalties and brought the toughness element without being a liability, which now that falls on Simmonds, which is not the ideal scenario. White must have done something that lead to Hexy and/or Hakstol to not want him back.

I know this is a real long shot, but let's hope a playoff team sees something in Weise that we don't and Hexy can trade him for an 8th round draft pick...LOL
    Last edited by behn3; 12-30-2016, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lynchmob450
    replied
    Originally posted by alxhj View Post
    For the record I was against the Wiese signing from the getgo, I was hoping I was wrong about him, but so far I'm not. All of his supporters said we were going to like his offensive upside (wonder where that went?), White was more energetic, played harder, and fulfilled more roles than Wiese. I love what Hextall has done with the team, but he missed the boat big time on Wiese. Even Leier is more aggressive as a puck hound. I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup, I do expect to make the playoffs though. Hakstol has benched far better players (ie; Ghost and MDZ), he needs to have Wiese sit in the stands for a couple of nights.
    The Weise signing was a swing and a miss for Hexy. One of the few that he has had. No one was competing with the Flyers for Weise. To give him the $$ plus term was a mistake, especially when White wanted to stay in Philly and would have accepted half the $$ and term.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Barr
    replied
    Originally posted by alxhj View Post

For the record I was against the Wiese signing from the getgo, I was hoping I was wrong about him, but so far I'm not. All of his supporters said we were going to like his offensive upside (wonder where that went?), White was more energetic, played harder, and fulfilled more roles than Wiese. I love what Hextall has done with the team, but he missed the boat big time on Wiese. Even Leier is more aggressive as a puck hound.
    Totally agree on Weise. He just doesn't bring much to the table in any way, not even his supposed physical side. Simmonds is still doing most of that even though he's our top goal scorer. I'd be scratching Weise if I were Hakstol. When fully healthy, I'd like to see the following lines:

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
    Simmonds-Couturier-Konecny
    Raffl-Cousins-Leier
    Read-Bellemare-Lyubimov

Scratches - Vandevelde, Weise, Gordon

Yes, I know Hakstol won't bench Vandevelde but this is what I'd like to see. Keep the younger players in the lineup, get Schenn back on the wing and have two legit scoring lines. You can always shuffle some players around if the chemistry isn't there, of course. There are options with this group of forwards.

Leave a comment:

• alxhj
    replied
    Originally posted by swami24 View Post
    I like IceHokie's comment. What were everyone's expectations from the start of the season? Mine for this year and next are building to 2019. Winning is gravy now. The guys everyone is complaining about may not be around then, but they are serving their roles. This lineup will have to play way over their heads to challenge deep. Let's just enjoy when they play well, and the young guys show promise
    For the record I was against the Wiese signing from the getgo, I was hoping I was wrong about him, but so far I'm not. All of his supporters said we were going to like his offensive upside (wonder where that went?), White was more energetic, played harder, and fulfilled more roles than Wiese. I love what Hextall has done with the team, but he missed the boat big time on Wiese. Even Leier is more aggressive as a puck hound. I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup, I do expect to make the playoffs though. Hakstol has benched far better players (ie; Ghost and MDZ), he needs to have Wiese sit in the stands for a couple of nights.
    Last edited by alxhj; 12-30-2016, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyerdog
    replied
    the more and more Weiss plays the more and more he shows what a mistake it was that Hextall signed him..You would think if nothing else he could win puck battles..but Raffl and even Cousins seem more capable than him at this...and when he passes, 9 of 10 passes end up as turnovers....

personally I think Laughton would bring more to his line than Weiss does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X