No announcement yet.

sorry but we need to gut this team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really see the need for any signings this off-season. Let's see what we have in our youth.

If the ED provides the right circumstances for a trade (such as using our marginally used 3rd spot for defense protection to pick up a good defender), or if there is a hockey trade/quantity for quality trade to be made, I'm fine with seeing that.

Comment

• but what we don't have in our youth is a sniper on the wing and the one thing we need is a sniper on the wing...I'm fine with signing that guy (if available) as long as it isn't a 20 year deal with a NMC

Comment

• Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
        but what we don't have in our youth is a sniper on the wing and the one thing we need is a sniper on the wing...I'm fine with signing that guy (if available) as long as it isn't a 20 year deal with a NMC
        Agree

Comment

• Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
          but what we don't have in our youth is a sniper on the wing and the one thing we need is a sniper on the wing...I'm fine with signing that guy (if available) as long as it isn't a 20 year deal with a NMC
          Define "Sniper" on the wing....

Oshie's not that guy for my money, career high in goals is this season's 33...at the age of 30.

prior to that it was 26 at age 29, 21 at age 27 and two seasons tied at 19 at the ages 25 and 28. He played a minimum of of 72 games in each of those years..

I think this whole "sniper" idea is blown way out of proportion...

Meanwhile...Schenn has potted 25 and Simmonds 30....

Wayne for his part has posted 30, 32, 28 and 29 in the last four seasons....he's 28....and in 5 of the the last 6 seasons he's netted 28 or more

Schenn has put up 25, 26, 18 and 20 in the last 4 years and is 25..

This "sniper" that exists out there...I think is more the creation of highlight reels than the every day slog of hockey...

Comment

• I'm leaning towards gut this team , or some version of.
            We're treading water here. This is the 3rd time in the last 5 seasons we've missed the playoffs, and haven't won a single playoff series since 2012. The natives will be getting restless.
            We're at a crossroads. I don't think the core group we've been relying on to get to the next level is capable of it. Schenn, Couts, Read, others are 2nd tier, complimentary type players who frankly play their best when there's nothing to play for (see Schenn this past week).
            We don't have any elite players. Giroux and Voracek may be getting paid like it, but their performance doesn't match . Maybe everyone but Simmonds and the youngsters should be made available for trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by charterflyer67 View Post
              I'm leaning towards gut this team , or some version of.
              We're treading water here. This is the 3rd time in the last 5 seasons we've missed the playoffs, and haven't won a single playoff series since 2012. The natives will be getting restless.
              We're at a crossroads. I don't think the core group we've been relying on to get to the next level is capable of it. Schenn, Couts, Read, others are 2nd tier, complimentary type players who frankly play their best when there's nothing to play for (see Schenn this past week).
              We don't have any elite players. Giroux and Voracek may be getting paid like it, but their performance doesn't match . Maybe everyone but Simmonds and the youngsters should be made available for trade.
              Why is it when Schenn, and specifically Schenn, scores in the waining days of the season everyone finds it a negative..

but when Couturier does it..people talk about him finding his groove (actually happened in the last 7 days)...

why is it if a kid like Weal does it...it's a great sign of things to come??

I don;t, really don;t get the negativity this fanbase has for Schenn...

He's gonna end up being a Patrick Sharp situation...and everyone will swear they loved his game and the Flyers were so blind....a decade from now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

Why is it when Schenn, and specifically Schenn, scores in the waining days of the season everyone finds it a negative..

but when Couturier does it..people talk about him finding his groove (actually happened in the last 7 days)...

why is it if a kid like Weal does it...it's a great sign of things to come??

I don;t, really don;t get the negativity this fanbase has for Schenn...

He's gonna end up being a Patrick Sharp situation...and everyone will swear they loved his game and the Flyers were so blind....a decade from now...

Don't get me wrong, Rev; I'm not anti Schenn; good player, but 2nd tier. I feel the same about Couts, and yeah, it's no better when he does it. But for me, they've been patient with this group long enough. Gut it? Add the right pieces for the right blend? I don't know. I just don't think that what they've put their chips on as being an eventual contender is in reality more than a fringe 7th or 8th seed playoff team, if that.

Comment

• Originally posted by charterflyer67 View Post

Don't get me wrong, Rev; I'm not anti Schenn; good player, but 2nd tier. I feel the same about Couts, and yeah, it's no better when he does it. But for me, they've been patient with this group long enough. Gut it? Add the right pieces for the right blend? I don't know. I just don't think that what they've put their chips on as being an eventual contender is in reality more than a fringe 7th or 8th seed playoff team, if that.
                  I think Couturier and Schenn have value...if we're talking gutting..I am ok with moving one of them (tho for my money, the team has a glut at center and that makes Coots more expendable)...but if they move one of Schenn/Couturier...one of Giroux/Jake has to go as well...they have to walk away from Mason...and they have to give up the macDonald experiment and eat that contract in the AHL...

For me, gutting this team involves looking at the roster and recognizing that giroux and jake are not the horses the front office had hoped...that Simmonds is the leader of the franchise..that the D is purely in the hands of the kids...

it just bugs me that the guys who tend draw ire...are guys like Schenn and Couturier...meanwhile Matt Read's cap hit is 300k less than Wayne's (and yeah that's a sweet number Wayne is at) but holy ****...nd then there's Raffl and Weisse...both in the 2.5m to 3.5m cap hit range too...

Clear those guys out...move Giroux and really, truly, turn this team upside down...instead we'll change the 2nd tier parts, again..and hold on to the plethora of bottom 6 forwards and barely there stars we've got millions tied up in..

...Serious question tho...Wayne will need a new contract in a couple years...and Guroux and Jake will still be hitting the cap for 8m plus....how is that gonna work?!

Comment

• Agreed. First moves are clear out the dead weight (lookin' at you, Read), clear up cap space, go from there. Don't be stupid like homer was at times, but be aggressive.

Comment

• He's not a sniper per se, but I'd still love to find a way to get Landeskog.

Comment

Working...
                      X