No announcement yet.

sorry but we need to gut this team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the term "sniper" doesn't necessarily encapsulate pure goal scoring either....more specifically we need a guy who can score and be creative and draw attention to himself...in a football equivalent, I don't think we have a guy that draws double teams from opposing defenses...

we thought Jake and G were those guys, and maybe in years past they were, but not so much any more..maybe Simmonds is that guy now.... the problem is that those guys will seldom reach FA...and if they do..the cost is tremendous...and more alarmingly..we don't seem to have a guy with that potential in the farm system...partially because we seldom draft that high and because we seem to be drafting Mike Richards type 2 way players as of late...as such until we are in a position to draft a franchise type sniper..we may have no recourse but to sign or trade for a guy....

Comment

• Originally posted by flyerdog View Post
      the term "sniper" doesn't necessarily encapsulate pure goal scoring either....more specifically we need a guy who can score and be creative and draw attention to himself...in a football equivalent, I don't think we have a guy that draws double teams from opposing ...
      There are only two teams in the NHL who have NOT drafted a 20 goal scorer in the last 10 years...

One is the Flyers, and the other had just finished drafting Malkin and Crosby....

Comment

• Agree with Rev, Oshie's not a sniper. Most of his scoring comes from close in, which is fine, but he'll disappoint if we're looking for a guy who can rip the top corner from the circles. He'll also be really expensive and plays a position where we're relatively strong.

I like Alex's idea about Landeskog. If you could pick him up at a reasonable price I think he could look really good next to G on the first line.
        What would Fred do?

Comment

• the problem is..isn't there an Oshie/Hakstol connection? IF Hakstol is willing to show nepotism to ward VV...it hints that he might lobby hard to sign Oshie also....

Comment

• Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

There are only two teams in the NHL who have NOT drafted a 20 goal scorer in the last 10 years...

One is the Flyers, and the other had just finished drafting Malkin and Crosby....
            I thought JVR was a 20 goal guy...and wasn't he drafted in the first round of 2007?

now how many 20 goal scorers have the Flyers traded for in the last 10 years? There's Jake, Wayne and Schenn off the top of my head...

So not exactly sure why drafting is vital to the equation...

...they also got 20 out of Raffl, who was an undrafted free agent...in the last 10 years

...Matt Read was an undrafted fee agent signed in the last 10 years, he's posted two 20 goals season in the last 6 years...

And of course...Claude giroux was drafted in 2006 (11 years ago...and more recent than Crosby or Malkin) and he's posted 20 goals in 3 of the last 4 years (and 5 of the last 7years)...

I'm going to stick with "sniper" being a social media boogie man...and I'm going to add..."drafted" to it as well...just my opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by Foggy View Post
              Agree with Rev, Oshie's not a sniper. Most of his scoring comes from close in, which is fine, but he'll disappoint if we're looking for a guy who can rip the top corner from the circles. He'll also be really expensive and plays a position where we're relatively strong.

I like Alex's idea about Landeskog. If you could pick him up at a reasonable price I think he could look really good next to G on the first line.
              He's also, the exact opposite of say Schenn/Simmonds...he scores a ton at ES...but does not produce on the PP...so folks would go from one complaint to another...

I honestly don;t get that complaint at all...the goals count the same..but it's increasingly obvious people like to complain about something...

So every time Oshiue would go over the boards for a PP people would groan about his dead hands...just saying...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

James van Riemsdyk (2007, 2nd overall)
                2010-11: 21 goals
                2013-14: 30 goals (for TOR)
                2014-15: 27 goals (for TOR)

Patrick Maroon (2007, 161st overall)
                2016-17: 27 goals (for EDM)

So, yes, Maroon become a 20 goal scorer elsewhere, but JVR did do it here as well as in Toronto.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsl135 View Post

James van Riemsdyk (2007, 2nd overall)
                  2010-11: 21 goals
                  2013-14: 30 goals (for TOR)
                  2014-15: 27 goals (for TOR)

Patrick Maroon (2007, 161st overall)
                  2016-17: 27 goals (for EDM)

So, yes, Maroon become a 20 goal scorer elsewhere, but JVR did do it here as well as in Toronto.
                  My bad, I obviously didn't verify the accuracy (LOL). I just read is somewhere and re-posted the comment...

My guess is the original author was trying to make a point that the Flyers have drafted so many D and "two way centers" over the years and that we badly need some creativity and natural goal scoring. Even our "scorers" are for the most part pass first guys (aside from Simmer). Easier said than done I know...

Comment

• And Gost put up 17 in 64 last year...Which seems pretty damn good... (Where's the dead horse smilie?? ☠?)

Comment

• oshie is 30. totally the wrong move for this team. any UFA is probably the wrong move.

we need to just keep drafting, unless someone is going to trade us a mcdavid. goal scorers arent restricted to the first 10 picks. sucks cuz 'retooling' slows down the rebuilding process but its really the only way.

Comment

Working...
                      X