No announcement yet.

sorry but we need to gut this team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with this. I think a big point here is that the fans just don't like alot of these players. Even if they "improve", there's still going to be alot of idifference. I've been a passionate fan of this organization since 74 but I feel very little connection to this version. They just don't play like they care and , if they don't, why should I?

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
      pretty much..this hasn't been a rebuild yet..it continues to be a retool..
      This organization is past spinning tires as their on the rims and have been for years

sigpic

Comment

The cap era killed the Flyers. They can't spend their way out of problems anymore. They're too small, and they play that way. Asking guys to consistently give more than their bodies can endure always ends in failure. You can have some smaller players if they're "special"-but even in saying that you can't have too many of them ! This team gets killed in the crease and walls in both zones and has for years. How many times do you have to watch them fail to clear an easy out of their zone before it sinks in? You cannot simply skate your way out of every problem on the ice. It's hard to lead a team from the seat of your pants. The failure to find a true successor to Parent only adds to the pain.............

Comment

Wow, that sums up a boat load of whining in one post. The Cap hasn't kept Chi, Bos, Pitts, or Det from winning Cups.
          They are to small now, we'll not too long ago they were too big and slow, and were getting circles skated around them. There have been trades that worked out, Carter and richards, and ones that were bad, Bob and JVR.
          Goalie... always gotta throw that one in. No one will be considered a Bernie replacement until they hoist a Cup.

The answer is in front of us, but noone likes it. This teams was destined to be bad this year, and probably next year too. It is what is to be expected. There are no quick fixes anymore; and finally the team realizes it. They will talk up being competitive as they retool, but that is just to sell seats. They are rebuilding the only way you can now. If people say that it will be too late for G and Jake to be a factor, well, shame on them for not doing what true stars do, take over and lead their teams to title

Comment

Duchene is on the block and would be a great 2nd line Center, but the cost would be very steep. Same thing for Landeskog.

Comment

The guys on this team who have the least amount of skill are the most fun to watch right now: VV, PEB, Lyubimov...they may not score, but they give effort, at least..Lyubimov seemed to be the only guy that was back-checking in the Boston game.

Provo is getting better every game it seems, but still prone to the rookie mistake here and there...this is where we need the goalie to bail him out with a timely save..and we know how that story keeps ending...

Simmonds has moments where he, too, floats, but not nearly as much as the 'leaders' Jake and G. Jake's final turnover in the Boston game..was a microcosm of how they have played for the majority of this season...stupid and lazy...

Couts is infuriating because he can look so good in one game and a complete liability in the next, and he seems too slow to back check..and he doesn't shoot the puck quick enough

Cousins is giving effort, I'll give him that...but he just can't seem to reach the next plateau...meaning a guy who can net a few when you need them

and then he disappears for stretches

Schenn is pretty consistent on the PP..but 5 on 5 , like the rest of the team is pretty invisible...

Weisse, Hextall's glaring faux pas from the off season...brings nothing at all...

Boyd Gordon: hasn't played enough to form an opinion

Raffl seems to be finally using his strength more..and kudos to him for even attempting to scruff it up with Chara...not sure anyone else on the team would have the guts to do that...but clearly he is a nice complimentary player..they thought he could become a 30 goal scorer, but he just doesn't have the hands for it...

But the biggest problem is LEADERSHIP...I don't think it's a coincidence that we made the finals when Pronger was here..granted we did have more talent on that roster.

..but i have to believe that Pronger's influence kept the team focused even amidst the Carter/Richards/Hartnell party boy era...

Comment

3 problems I can see:
                1) The youth movement on defense is still in progress. In 3-4 years we'll be very solid, but right now its still green young guys(prov/ghost) with has-been's(streit, schultz) and never-was's(mcdonald, delzo)
                2) No team can survive bad goaltending. This is bad goaltending AND bad defense.
                3) I agree that Pronger was that type-A demanding veteran presence that kept people on their toes. It doesn't have to be Giroux, but we need someone like that who also can show it on the ice. Streit is too soft spoken, Schultz and Gordon can't play. Sometimes its the coach, like Lavvy, but Hakstol isn't that guy. Voracek might be the most demanding voice on the team. Sometimes a player grows into that role, but I don't think G ever will. Maybe guys are too good of friends, too tight... they won't call each other out when they deserve it?

My worry is not that we're so bad, but we're stuck as a mediocre bubble team. 8th place. Hard to improve in the draft, and no chance of winning the cup. We're not really in a 'rebuild' mode... more like 'asset preservation' mode. That's a sound strategy but isn't going to turn around as quickly. I would still see if giroux, voracek, simmonds, or schenn could get us something valuable in return. Yes it would be ugly and we'd lose our team identity, but their remaining quality years are about to go to waste and I don't see anything in the pipeline to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
                  Wow, that sums up a boat load of whining in one post. The Cap hasn't kept Chi, Bos, Pitts, or Det from winning Cups.
                  Not whining about a damn thing. I've been consistent about my complaints over the way this team has been constructed for years.
                  The inability to MANAGE a cap properly HAS kept they Flyers down far longer than they should have been. I know it's difficult to grasp...but there's no rule that I know of that says you can't be big AND fast AND skilled. Some of those teams you've mentioned (and others) have appeared to figure that out a bit. Maybe it's time Philly gets a move on........

I'm not that invested in whatever course of action they choose to take. Somebody drop me a line when they're serious about competing again.
                  Last edited by FLexible FLyer; 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The whining is whining in general, by the legions of gloom, not just your post.

the only way to do,it like the winners have is to draft right and keep the young studs. They also have to wait for overpriced, burdensome contracts to expire before properly managing the cap. We still are paying for Homer.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
                      The whining is whining in general, by the legions of gloom, not just your post.

the only way to do,it like the winners have is to draft right and keep the young studs. They also have to wait for overpriced, burdensome contracts to expire before properly managing the cap. We still are paying for Homer.
                      hm, I think hextall has mostly erased the bad contracts. umberger is hurting us for 1.5m, but gone after next year, mcdonald is overpaid but only by what... 2.5m? I think his play is that of atleast a 2.5m defenseman. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

So thats 4m/yr of bad homer deals left (if you count umberger as fixing hartnell).

Comment

Working...
                      X