No announcement yet.

sorry but we need to gut this team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the teams in the league have bad contracts.

Comment

Sure but that still is a big number when trying to fit in resigning and FAs.

Comment

I don't see anything in the pipeline to replace them.
        This is the most troubling thing of all...unless the plan is to be the next NJ Devils..where most of our guys are defensive minded players first...but obviously we do not have the trump card that they had for a decade + in Brodeur...

looking at the farm system, we do not have that guy that could be the next prolific scorer..and unless we get a couple top 3 picks...we probably won't ever see that guy...unless we somehow manage to pull off a Tom Brady-like sleeper pick that everyone else misses on. but realistically what are the chances of that?

We are in a position where we have to play a sound system flawlessly every night to compete, because right now we don't have that guy (Crosby, Stamkos, Forsberg, Lindros etc...) who can take over a game himself...we thought G was that guy..and that he and Jake would be a comparable 1-2 punch ala Lindros/Leclair...so far not really...only flashes...

not saying that we NEED a Stamkos, Crosby, Connor McDavid type....many teams without those type of franchise guys have won a cup, I suppose...

but if nothing else..secure the goal tending problem once and for all...trade either Mason or Neuvy (I'd rather keep Neuvy at this point) and let Stolarz play out most of the season..i'm cool with that...

ugh..what a mess!! lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyerdog View Post

This is the most troubling thing of all...unless the plan is to be the next NJ Devils..where most of our guys are defensive minded players first...but obviously we do not have the trump card that they had for a decade + in Brodeur...

looking at the farm system, we do not have that guy that could be the next prolific scorer..and unless we get a couple top 3 picks...we probably won't ever see that guy...unless we somehow manage to pull off a Tom Brady-like sleeper pick that everyone else misses on. but realistically what are the chances of that?

We are in a position where we have to play a sound system flawlessly every night to compete, because right now we don't have that guy (Crosby, Stamkos, Forsberg, Lindros etc...) who can take over a game himself...we thought G was that guy..and that he and Jake would be a comparable 1-2 punch ala Lindros/Leclair...so far not really...only flashes...

not saying that we NEED a Stamkos, Crosby, Connor McDavid type....many teams without those type of franchise guys have won a cup, I suppose...

but if nothing else..secure the goal tending problem once and for all...trade either Mason or Neuvy (I'd rather keep Neuvy at this point) and let Stolarz play out most of the season..i'm cool with that...

ugh..what a mess!! lol!!
          I think since the salary cap, you can win the cup if you have one area of your team which isnt elite. the kings didnt have an elite scorer. the hawks won with with the merely good crawford. etc. But you still need a lot of impact players at their position. If we don't have the stamkos/crosby/mcdavid-level forward you're talking about, then we need a lockdown 1D, a top-5 goalie, and elite 2-way forwards. My question, is how do we get there from here? Hextall's approach seems to be to draft mid-level and hope to hit some home runs. It may work its just going to take a while.

Comment

Where was this thread when they won 10 straight?

The Flyers current record is about where I expected them to be about; a bubble playoff team...lack of patience 1st by management (pre-Hextall) and now by fans....the fans have been conditioned by Clarke & Holmgren eras to get the bandaid fix (UFA's) and squeek out a few extra wins than be patient and build properly like Hextall is trying to do.

There will be 1 more year of pain after this season before the tide starts to turn the other way; and the rookies/blue chippers get added and more experienced, just be patient...I wager Hextall will be targetting forwards this upcoming draft. The Flyers farms are filled with blueliners and goalies which take longer to develop...Hextall is timing the drafting needs (positions) the right way.

Comment

is there still any doubt?

Simmonds/TK/Provo

everyone else...ship them out

Comment

Originally posted by EDMFLYERSFAN View Post

The Flyers current record is about where I expected them to be about; a bubble playoff team...lack of patience 1st by management (pre-Hextall) and now by fans....the fans have been conditioned by Clarke & Holmgren eras to get the bandaid fix (UFA's) and squeek out a few extra wins than be patient and build properly like Hextall is trying to do.

There will be 1 more year of pain after this season before the tide starts to turn the other way; and the rookies/blue chippers get added and more experienced, just be patient...I wager Hextall will be targetting forwards this upcoming draft. The Flyers farms are filled with blueliners and goalies which take longer to develop...Hextall is timing the drafting needs (positions) the right way.
                this is NOT about wins and losses..again ....I'll take a team that goes 0-82 but fights hard every game and doesn't make the same mistakes over and over...what we have now is a team that uses excuse after excuse for poor play, that lacks basic fundamentals, like passing and clearing the defensive zone, that even after a 5 day break picks up right where they left off. The tru character of leaders is how they handle adversity..and we haven't seen any of this...

I remember years ago when we were in a funk..losing multiple games in a row..and Lindros on the very first shift of a game dropped the gloves and fought Hatcher..just to send a message...when has G shown that type of passion? I remember Briere dropping the gloves recently, I can't remember the last time G showed that kind of passion

breakdown after breakdown, a leadership core that shows no passion (except Simmonds)...we can be as patient as we want, but until these things are addressed..it doesn't matter if the parts are different, the result will still be the same...

we have tried almost everything at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by EDMFLYERSFAN View Post
                  It was there....but it was simply greeted with "Who cares, we're winning!!!"

Folks were asking why Stolarz couldn't get play...folks were asking about line combos, about the reliance on questionable vets.

Here's the truth....Gostisbehere was ready two years ago...and shouldn;t have waited until partway through last year to debut.

Morin is ready now. Was ready when camp ended.

The Flyers as an organization are not comfortable with relying on young players, atleast not in meaningful roles...they have a penchant for rolling the dice on young forwards because they are easy to hide..

Provorov making the team had as much to do with they hype and the fear of alienating fan $$$ as it did his play....there were many pre-season games were he showed the flaws any young blueliner would...

Look at the roster and ask yourself legitimately why each guy is here anmd what the upside is to having them...look at the recent signings by Hextalla nd the terms on some of them...

You want an indicator of how long this club "suffers" it will be how the goalies are handled...

A short term deal (1-2 years) for Mason is a good sign
                  A short term deal for Neuvirth is better..
                  Letting both walk is best...
                  A long term deal for Mason (3+) is more of the same middle of the pack bubble team hockey think...

An unwullingness to move out of the "vetersn" goalie comfort bubble will be a clear sign of how Hextall handle youth...

Hakstol has not played to either his strengths or his roster's strengths...

And it took how effing long to realize Konecny should be the playmaker/puck-distibutor on the 2nd PP...not Couturier?

The Flyers lack the spark and the spunk that the top teams in the league have...not just the "speed' or the "playmaking" but the "aggression" and 'chip on the shoulder" they are a passive club..

I'm tired of hearing about the win streak...how many other teams in the East, in the Metro did the same or better

Comment

here's what in just my opinion needs to occur

need a new top line center or at least a #2 center..slot Coots back to #3

get rid of the deadwood on defense..i would prefer making a run at getting Shattenkirk as the new vet leadership...but cost would be too high

frankly i would listen on just about any one if someone wanted to come along with a more than reasonable offer with most of the kids, Provo, TK and Simmer being exempt from that..i wouldn't pus them out the door..but i would not not listen to offers on G(something i think will never happen anyway) or Jake who seems like a luxury atm that just .,.not clicking for his money

re-sign Neuvy for a year or 2 max..he is the cheaper of the two and had no issue being the back up..let Mase walk or trade him..bring up Stolie

bring up Morin and Sanheim..can't hurt to give them a go

people aren't gonna like it but this team needs a change of the core...and while i like Hexy and what the has done..in the end..he is another retread of the organization...i give him the benefit of doubt due to the way his hands were tied with the mess he inherited..but so far..he he has shown he is a bit better evaluator of talent then wheeler and dealer

Hak needed a guide when he came in..jump from College to NHL is huge and he shows he still lacks some understanding

Comment

Somebody pointed out on an earlier page that G doesn't seem to be playing with any passion. It's been that way since his contract. He is still an effective player, but he needs that snarl to be at the next level. Do you remember him dropping the gloves in the playoffs in '08 (I think anyway), or when he crushed Crosby in '12? I don't want him fighting all the time but he can certainly pick and choose his spots. If nothing else it will make him that much more unpredictable and open up some space for him.

On a different note, we do have reason to be concerned about how this team is constructed. Why give long term lucrative contracts to forwards in their prime when you are clearly building your future through the blue line? Defenseman take longer to develop than forwards do so I find the idea of older forwards and young D incongruous at best.

On a personal level I have always been lukewarm to 28 and 93. I'm not questioning their talent, I know the stats; I just don't care about them the way I did Brind'Amour, or Gagne, or even Richards. I'm not an advocate of tanking, but I think there is a difference between actual tanking and recognizing an ill fitting core. Rev may be right that Hextall is being overly cautious, however that is the direction he is choosing to go so the organization has to make the best of it, and it's my opinion that the best way to do that is to recognize the young D as the new core and dismantle our current group. It's actually a win, win because by all acounts these players are good guys and they deserve a chance to play for a championship while they can still contribute at a high level. I just don't see that happening here in Philadelphia.

Comment

Working...
                      X