X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Flyers @ Maple Leafs

7:30 ET

Four point game.

Toronto one point back of second wild card spot.
    Flyers two points back of Toronto.

Islanders and Tampa also have games tonight.

A regulation win tonight would do some good. I gotta feeling the puck keeps going in for them tonight. No score predictions though.

Going out for a friend's birthday dinner tonight. The game will have long been over before popcorn, beer and I sit down to watch the stream.

Filppulla slotting into the 2nd line center spot seems to have brought balance to the offense. Hoping it keeps up.

That's my expert analysis.

Comment

Apparently Neuvirth in net tonight. I like that decision -- don't play one goalie into the ground. Mason has been hot lately, but give him a game off every few. We don't have a goalie who can go every night. I think Hakstol has overplayed both of them at times (Mason in particular when Neuvirth was hurt -- Stolarz should have had a few more starts).
      Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Could this team have TWO 10 game undefeated steaks and STILL miss the playoffs.. I wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

I've never understood the concept of a "4 point" game. A win is only 2 points. If both teams are equal in points and one wins outright, that team only gains 2 points, not 4.

The losing team doesn't get 2 points SUBTRACTED, so the difference between the two teams is only 2 points..... I think I've heard the "well... It's 2 points we didn't get and the other guy got the 2 we wanted, so that's a four point swing".... No it isn't.
          "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
            I've never understood the concept of a "4 point" game. A win is only 2 points. If both teams are equal in points and one wins outright, that team only gains 2 points, not 4.

The losing team doesn't get 2 points SUBTRACTED, so the difference between the two teams is only 2 points..... I think I've heard the "well... It's 2 points we didn't get and the other guy got the 2 we wanted, so that's a four point swing".... No it isn't.
            It does makes sense though in that you have eliminated 2 points from their potential total.

Think of it like the magic number. If, say, the Flyers magic number is 4 points won by them or lost by the Leafs to clinch a playoff spot and they play each other, then by winning that game, they earn 2 points and the Leafs lose 2 points from their potential total. That's the 4 points.

If you put it in the context of the magic/tragic number, it absolutely makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post

It's based on the outcomes excluding OT. If we win, we're even in points. If we lose, we're 4 points behind. The two regulation results are a difference of 2 points. It's a little wishy washy but in the end it matter.

Comment

It is all about the convoluted point system that the NHL has to live with. The other 3 majors just win or lose, simple. This league now has a cluster F on how to deal with games tied after regulation. 4 points is simple as stated above, if you look at it as horse race.

Comment

Outstanding work by the TV people to diagram, and find a shot of the wipe board, on Ghosts goal. A shame they didn't finish on another

Comment

Love the effort by provorov to make 2 saves on an empty net in a game that was over. It speaks to heart, he is the one best thing we have going.

Comment

Working...
                    X