GDT: Flyers vs Blue Jackets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M13 View Post
    no shooters..not enough talent..but according to pretty much the entire cast over at HF..its totally Hak's fault
    Yup...it's Hak...according to damn near everyone...its stupid

Comment

Yeah, our buds at HF are having a bit of a feeding frenzy.

After Berube, I wish we had gone with someone with an NHL head coaching pedigree. My top guy was McLellan, but it sounded like his family didn't want to move east and he ended up with a good gig in Edmonton.

On Hakstol, I've criticized him on a number of moves (and non-moves) this season, but he gets points for coaching an unimpressive team to the playoffs last season, and I doubt that Hextall throws him overboard after two seasons (on a five year contract) unless there is serious pressure from Holmgren or Dave Scott.

The assistants? That's another story. Here's an article from Sam Carchidi about the sorry state of our "special" teams. If you're a relative of Joe Mullen, or Ian Laperriere, don't read it. It's not pretty.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...f_chances.html

Here's another piece from Sam Donnellon yesterday that suggests something shocking; maybe this year's Flyers aren't that good. Hmmmm, a top defensive pairing of Andrew MacDonald and a rookie; a bottom 10 PK; third worst at 5-on-5 scoring; goalies 57th and 72nd in SA%; and an off year for Giroux. Maybe Sam has a point.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._talented.html
      What would Fred do?

Comment

A great article by Donnellon.....mainly because it's been my thought since opening night. This team is NOT good.

I just don't understand how any of you can watch most these guys and still see NHL caliber players. And I'm not saying that to be nasty, I just think the rose colored glasses need to come off.

My dad (78 yrs old) has watched every game since the team's inception and HE still says the things that I disagree with; things that some people here seem to believe as well.

G, Jake, Schenn, TK, Ghost, Prov, Simmer, Gudas are NHL players. The rest of the team struggle to make a Cup caliber team. I like Weal's skill set but he needs a Perry or Getzlaf as his linemate to give him room. Not sure if Fillipula is a rental, but he only needed a 100 yr old dman to acquire him at a time when teams NEED scoring.

Those 8 good players need to carry the load for the entire team and 3 are rookies. That's a recipe for a top 10 pick..... Shame we had that 10 game winning streak or we'd be closer to a top 5 pick and lottery chance.

/end rant
        "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
          A great article by Donnellon.....mainly because it's been my thought since opening night. This team is NOT good.

I just don't understand how any of you can watch most these guys and still see NHL caliber players. And I'm not saying that to be nasty, I just think the rose colored glasses need to come off.

/end rant
          i.think the team has lived up to my, and.other's expectations. They just haven't lived up to our wishes. I dont.think.Hakstol.goes.until he has a crack at the young defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy View Post
            Yeah, our buds at HF are having a bit of a feeding frenzy.

After Berube, I wish we had gone with someone with an NHL head coaching pedigree. My top guy was McLellan, but it sounded like his family didn't want to move east and he ended up with a good gig in Edmonton.

On Hakstol, I've criticized him on a number of moves (and non-moves) this season, but he gets points for coaching an unimpressive team to the playoffs last season, and I doubt that Hextall throws him overboard after two seasons (on a five year contract) unless there is serious pressure from Holmgren or Dave Scott.

The assistants? That's another story. Here's an article from Sam Carchidi about the sorry state of our "special" teams. If you're a relative of Joe Mullen, or Ian Laperriere, don't read it. It's not pretty.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...f_chances.html

Here's another piece from Sam Donnellon yesterday that suggests something shocking; maybe this year's Flyers aren't that good. Hmmmm, a top defensive pairing of Andrew MacDonald and a rookie; a bottom 10 PK; third worst at 5-on-5 scoring; goalies 57th and 72nd in SA%; and an off year for Giroux. Maybe Sam has a point.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._talented.html
            read that too..sad that an non hockey guy can see it..write about it but the actual hockey reporters either do not ..or do not have the balls to bash the organization

also love, again how the HF people all think they know more than Hak does...they really are awful and rely way too much on Corsi...which is another part of their issue...actually another part of the bigger issue about some flyers fans and reporters/twitter folk...
            Last edited by M13; 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post

read that too..sad that an non hockey guy can see it..write about it but the actual hockey reporters either do not ..or do not have the balls to bash the organization

also love, again how the HF people all think they know more than Hak does...they really are awful and rely way too much on Corsi...which is another part of their issue...actually another part of the bigger issue about some flyers fans and reporters/twitter folk...
              Actually, Sam Donnellon is a hockey guy. He actually played in the same roller hockey league as me around 20 years ago and he did cover the Flyers regularly at one time. So he is a guy who knows hockey quite well.

Swami was spot on with this comment: "I think the team has lived up to my, and other's, expectations. They just haven't lived up to our wishes." Last year was a bit of an anomaly where they got surprisingly hot at the end of the season and squeaked into the playoffs. But they just aren't that good as constructed. It's a work in progress.

That's why I didn't like the Weise signing nor do I like playing a guy like Vandevelde and sitting a Cousins or Lyubimov. VV is not a part of the team's future, those two guys could be. Let's see more of the youth in the lineup, especially in roles like that where there's not a ton of pressure on them. On defense I'd call up a Haag over playing Schultz...give him some NHL minutes. And Stolarz should have seen more games when Neuvirth was down. I understand patience with the youth, but there's a difference between patience and being over cautious.
              Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post

Actually, Sam Donnellon is a hockey guy. He actually played in the same roller hockey league as me around 20 years ago and he did cover the Flyers regularly at one time. So he is a guy who knows hockey quite well.

Swami was spot on with this comment: "I think the team has lived up to my, and other's, expectations. They just haven't lived up to our wishes." Last year was a bit of an anomaly where they got surprisingly hot at the end of the season and squeaked into the playoffs. But they just aren't that good as constructed. It's a work in progress.

That's why I didn't like the Weise signing nor do I like playing a guy like Vandevelde and sitting a Cousins or Lyubimov. VV is not a part of the team's future, those two guys could be. Let's see more of the youth in the lineup, especially in roles like that where there's not a ton of pressure on them. On defense I'd call up a Haag over playing Schultz...give him some NHL minutes. And Stolarz should have seen more games when Neuvirth was down. I understand patience with the youth, but there's a difference between patience and being over cautious.
                I meant current hockey reporter...in regards to Sam..i wish they would bring Les back...

as for not bringing any one up..aside from getting NHL minutes..there is no real reason to bring anyone up ..let them battle it out in the AHL playoffs and that run..

expectations for this team..sadly rose because of last years playoff make..and a ton of people thought they would make it again..some even silly enough to believe quite easily too..problem is a majority of fans do not have the patience to sit through an actual rebuild..so we are stuck with a team in between..a bunch of youth they should be playing..but they fear the lack of production..ie success in the standings..would turn people away..the team desperately needs to get some top end forward talent..and that talent needs to be in a package that has good size and speed..need pure scorers and not playmakers or two way guys..

also need to jettison the assistant coaches

Comment

Working...
                X