Clear All

Tolvanen highlights.

Tippett highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

Here are some quotes regarding Tippett:

I'm buying

And some on Tolvanen:

This guy's name came up earlier in this thread. Vedder mentioned that his video clips reminded him of Laine. I was buying then...and still the same now.
      I'm reading a lot that unless Tippett is shooting or skating north-south he's essentially useless. That's concerning.
      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

I'm reading a lot that unless Tippett is shooting or skating north-south he's essentially useless. That's concerning.
        thats okay with me, as long as he's coachable.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

thats okay with me, as long as he's coachable.
          That suggests lack of hockey sense, and I don't thing that can be acquired through coaching.

Comment

Anyone think there's a chance they take BPA and if that's a dman they trade Meyers, Hagg or Sanheim for a more developed forward prospect?

Comment

That suggests lack of hockey sense, and I don't thing that can be acquired through coaching.
              what I was thinking is if the reason the kid is useless when he doesn't have the puck is because he just wants to score and doesn't care about two-way play, thats what coaching is for. Most young forwards come in like that. And they all realize they have to not be a liability on the ice if they want to get in the lineup, so they learn.

i dunno if i believe in "hockey sense" as some separate category of innate-only ability... what is it exactly? How do you measure it? I think its more like experience + focus.

Comment

what I was thinking is if the reason the kid is useless when he doesn't have the puck is because he just wants to score and doesn't care about two-way play, thats what coaching is for. Most young forwards come in like that. And they all realize they have to not be a liability on the ice if they want to get in the lineup, so they learn.

i dunno if i believe in "hockey sense" as some separate category of innate-only ability... what is it exactly? How do you measure it? I think its more like experience + focus.
                I view it as intelligence + knowledge of the game + adaptability + focus. Players who think the game quickly, know where their teammates are, can adjust as quickly as the play unfolds.

Couturier and Provorov stand out on the Flyers as players with good hockey sense. In terms of quality players, Schenn stands out as a guy I don't view as having good hockey sense; he knows where to be to score goals, but he has tremendous propensity to make terrible passes, over skate pucks, turn pucks over, get stuck behind the play, blow defensive coverages.

I very much view it as something that doesn't come with time or focus. Focus and experience may result in improvements for players with this issue (see Schenn), but they'll never gain the innate ability. You give Couturier Schenn's natural gifts and he's a perennial all star.

Comment

Anyone think there's a chance they take BPA and if that's a dman they trade Meyers, Hagg or Sanheim for a more developed forward prospect?
                  Interesting perspective. And if they went that route, who would you least want to trade amongst the kids (my ranking is below):

1 - Provorov (NEVER)
                  2 - Sanheim (close to never)
                  3 - Morin
                  4 - Myers (i'd really like to keep him)
                  5 - Ghost (likely to bring the biggest return)
                  6 - Hagg (not sure we'd get a great return for him)

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

Interesting perspective. And if they went that route, who would you least want to trade amongst the kids (my ranking is below):

1 - Provorov (NEVER)
                    2 - Sanheim (close to never)
                    3 - Morin
                    4 - Myers (i'd really like to keep him)
                    5 - Ghost (likely to bring the biggest return)
                    6 - Hagg (not sure we'd get a great return for him)
                    1 Provorov
                    2 Sanheim
                    3 Ghost
                    4 Myers
                    5 Morin
                    6 Hagg

In addition to just having an imbalance of hih quality D and F, a big motivator is trying to build a steady future stream of high quality D and F. So it's good to have up and coming guys at both positions at 24, 22, 21, 20 and so on.

If I'm trading Morin, Hagg or Myers I'm really expecting a relatively similar forward prospect. Depending on who we're dealing either high end but unproven or mid-high while somewhat proven. If it's Ghost or Sanheim I'd be looking for high end proven.

Provorov is basically untouchable absent an absurd offer that still nets us a young #1 dman, which clearly won't happen.

Comment

Hockey sense is definitely real. Just look at Wayne Gretzky. He wasn't the biggest player. He was a great skater but he wasn't the fastest skater. But he was special because he could see the game better than anyone has before or since. He said it best himself ...

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.

And while some players can improve on their positioning over time, I think it is really hard to teach "hockey sense".

Comment

Working...
                      X