GDT: Flyers vs Islanders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
    We lose when we need to win, then win when it's better to lose. This team needs to be torn apart and rebuilt properly. I cannot BELIEVE they do this every year. We lost out on Darnell Nurse IIRC because we went on a meaningless run. This team is getting difficult to stomach. And if it's pressure/no pressure that's doing it, then get players who play every night.
    You hit the nail on the head. They do this every year and it's a reflection of how gutless this team is. Every time the pressure if off and they're all but eliminated, they go on a hot 10 game run.

And it's the same characters every year - Schenn and Couts. And then everyone will look at their 'year end' stats and argue how they had a solid year and if they can continue to develop and grow we'll have a real nice one two punch. Everyone will quickly forget how they'd go on 20 or 30 game spells where they were utterly invisible and useless.

Great job. Thanks for looking lifeless for 70 games and then screwing up our draft order with those "important" wins down the stretch. They'll probably run the table and we'll end up drafting 14th. Love it!

Comment

Sure seems like Couts is playing with a lot more offensive confidence in the last 3 weeks or so.

And Weal...have all of his goals come from in close? For a little guy, he isn't shy about getting his nose a little dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
        We lose when we need to win, then win when it's better to lose. This team needs to be torn apart and rebuilt properly. I cannot BELIEVE they do this every year. We lost out on Darnell Nurse IIRC because we went on a meaningless run. This team is getting difficult to stomach. And if it's pressure/no pressure that's doing it, then get players who play every night.
        I was thinking the same last night. They do it every damn year and I'm tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
          Sure seems like Couts is playing with a lot more offensive confidence in the last 3 weeks or so.
          He's been good since the trade deadline. One theory is that the pressure is off, so now he's performing. Another theory is that he's playing in his proper role as a third line center and doing well as a result. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but the second theory makes a lot more sense to me.

The real wishful thinking was probably expecting Couts to be a creative and skilled second line center. He just doesn't have the necessary wheels or puck skills for that role. But he's a real good third line center with good defensive skills, his face off work has gotten much better and he can generate offense on the counter attack.

Can Couts be a major contributor as a third line center on a Cup competitive team? I think so.

And Weal...have all of his goals come from in close? For a little guy, he isn't shy about getting his nose a little dirty.
          Yeah, the kid is really puck smart around the goal; good judgement and anticipation. He's also demonstrated a good shot from farther out in the circles.

I just hope we don't lose him (or Cousins) in the expansion draft because we have to protect Filppula due to his no movement clause.

What would Fred do?

Comment

Sorry Foggy, but I think the Cousins /Laughtons of the world are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't protect either of those guys. And while I know you can't fill a team of smurfs like TK, Weal, neither one of Cousins or Laughtons is turning into a Tocchet or Geztlaf, which is what we are in need of..... Skill, Speed, size, and toughness.

I'd rather a team of Theo Fleurys, Recchis, and MartinSLouis than 3rd-4th line muckers trying to be something they're not..... Talented NHL scorers.

TK, Weal can't hold a candle to Fleury, Rex, or MSL..... Yet. But at least they have some MAJOR similarities.... creative, scoring, speed with the puck.
            "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

I like Filppula. He's one of the reasons behind the late season surge.

Unfortunately, the surge has gotten us nothing besides a worse draft position.

Whoever the Knights choose from the Flyers (assuming it's a forward, because I think McPhee is too smart to take MacDonald or Manning) could have been protected if we'd just traded Streit for pics, instead of taking on Filppula and his big contract.

For a rebuilding team, the Filppula deal just doesn't compute.
              What would Fred do?

Comment

He's only got one year left and they specifically commented that that made him attractive. I think they see him as useful for next year, possibly to trade later in the year to someone who wants a rental, and doesn't care about his current full-season price as they won't be paying it.

Comment

Working...
                X