Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Olympics, but Ovy says he will still go

http://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-on-2018-g...going-1.714839

I am fine with stopping the shut down of the league mid season, but it will be interesting how if players still try to go.

NHL logic...

NHL: "We need to grow the game, let's have some exhibition games in China."
    IOC: "The Olympics are also in South Korea this year, that will be a great opportunity too."
    NHL: "Hold your horses there, chief."

Idiotic. This whole debacle all but guarantees another lockout coming. We get two more years, then I bet either the NHL or NHLPA opts out when given the opportunity in September 2019.

I believe it will be a major problem with some players, and I 100% trust Ovechkin when he says he's going. I even think his owner said he supported him a while back when it first became a possibility.

Comment

honestly i am fine with it..the can't make a good schedule as it is with far too many back to backs and stretches of no games at all..event years the schedule gets even more compressed and now they have this bye week crap...

Comment

Ovie has pretty much earned the right to do what he wants

Comment

not to sound logical here or anything, but why don't they just push the start the season back 1.5-2 weeks to compensate for the olympic break? Other than the stanley cup finals teams, that would still be plenty of time to get some R&R for everyone and then it won't result in a compressed schedule.

I'm all for guys going to represent their countries. I'm glad Ovy is being as vocal about it. Hopefully others will do the same; damn the consequences.
          "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post
            NHL logic...

NHL: "We need to grow the game, let's have some exhibition games in China."
            IOC: "The Olympics are also in South Korea this year, that will be a great opportunity too."
            NHL: "Hold your horses there, chief."

Idiotic. This whole debacle all but guarantees another lockout coming. We get two more years, then I bet either the NHL or NHLPA opts out when given the opportunity in September 2019.

I believe it will be a major problem with some players, and I 100% trust Ovechkin when he says he's going. I even think his owner said he supported him a while back when it first became a possibility.
            The players had the opportunity to make this moot by agreeing to extend the CBA in exchange for an Olympic break...

...Find out how Ovie voted that....

Weird that million dollar athletes who insit they are "partners" in the league...never, ever want to put anything on the line for their "fair share"

If you want the NHL in Olympic Hockey, make it a summer sport....kinda like Basketball...it's not like they're playing outdoor on blacktop..

Nope they're playing the same basketball the NCAA and NBA play in the winter...weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
              If you want the NHL in Olympic Hockey, make it a summer sport....kinda like Basketball...it's not like they're playing outdoor on blacktop..
              This was my thought 20 years ago, but there are two big blocks. Ice is winter in the Olymics rules. They could conceivably change that, but it comes down to millions of dollars. The one that blocks it is that it would require a whole extra stadium dedicated to hockey only. Not happening. Those big stadiums across the world are needed for hoops and gymnastics, not to mention other sports. No way they dedicate a stadium just for the NHL. Olympic hockey requires so many games in a dedicated rink that they usually start play before the games actually open.

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
                honestly i am fine with it..the can't make a good schedule as it is with far too many back to backs and stretches of no games at all..event years the schedule gets even more compressed and now they have this bye week crap...
                It completely disrupts the interest and momentum of every team. It does provide rest for non olympians, but also consider that the TV channels arent happy either, unless it is NBC. Canadian networks lose all games in thatbtime.

Comment

A sports lawyer's take on this...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...pics-1.4055477

"The players can't just do what they want," said Toronto sports lawyer Trevor Whiffen.

He warns players would be taking a tremendous risk if they decided to go on their own. There is no right to participate in the Olympics enshrined in the collective bargaining agreement, he said.

"It is not solely the option of the players, that is something the NHL has control over and if the NHL is saying, 'No, we won't allow to you leave for three weeks in the middle of the season to go participate in the Olympics,' I think the players are facing a very difficult decision," Whiffen said.

"If they go, they are in breach of their contract, they may get suspended; they may suffer loss of wages.

Comment

Breach of contract is obvious, although with all the money he has, ovi may not care.

Comment

Working...
                    X