Media Day + Locker Clean Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
    Mullen not coming back, Lavy staying (ok?)
    Lappy...right.

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
    WILL sign another goalie (but not long term). Essentially Stolarz will not be on the team next year
    Not sure i understand this. IF Neuvirth is still on this roster post-expansion draft, i don't see any reason for not giving Stolarz or Lyons a chance to make the team in camp. Its the same thing with the dmen...if they are ready and better than other more experienced players...then you allow them to run with it. Next year, making the playoffs should be our goal...but to me, we need to really be preparing the team for 2018 season to be solid playoff contenders (not a middling team).

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
      No one seems to take issue with Ghost saying he's played best when he's not worried about getting yelled at. I read that as "I'm not listening to the coaches, and that's how I play best." While I think he should be playing the way he plays best, it's kind of a big deal to say you don't care about doing what you're told.
      I take it more of him saying, he knows he makes mistakes and will make mistakes. Instead of playing timid and worrying about getting yelled at for said mistakes...he isn't going to care and play through it. That is a positive.
      Formerly VaFlyer

Comment

Just to show how a player's words can be twisted to fit whatever narrative you have in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
          Just to show how a player's words can be twisted to fit whatever narrative you have in your head.
          It's actually contrary to mine. I was very surprised that Ghost would say that (in the way I read it). I also don't think Hack is particularly insane about playing in a particular way; to me he just seems to have an over the top view of holding young players accountable when they do make mistakes.
          "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

if Stollie isn;t on the team next year..thats a head scratcher..you have a huge glut of goalie prospects..at some point you need to see if they can play or not

also they need to clear out the entire assistant staff

Comment

Any transcript online from the press conference with Hextall today? Would love to hear what he actually had to say.

Comment

I'm skeptical of the "No Stolarz" hot take...Sounds more like bringing in a 3rd for the sake of competition, that no one is guaranteed a spot at Goaltender right now...

Comment

- stolarz has not impressed me much. he's big but he's not precise with his movements imo. i would be leery of giving him 20 games if we're trying to make the playoffs. I think he needs a bit more seasoning... bigger players generally do.
                  - other than this year, mason's save %age since he came here is 0.921. including this year is 0.918. He's a good, but not great, goalie. $4m is a pretty good deal for those numbers. neuvirth since he came here is at .910. this year mason finished with .908 and neuvirth with .891.. .017 is a massive difference! and neuvirth gets signed. pretty weird isnt it? Neuvirth has had flashes of brilliance, maybe hextall just feels he's going to come into his own soon... seems very odd to me to go with the worse performer.

Comment

Oh hey..Here's an article with Hextall's actual take on goaltending...Weird he doesn't say anything about "No Stolarz"

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...hop/100426046/
                    Last edited by Rev_Bully; 04-13-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
                      - stolarz has not impressed me much. he's big but he's not precise with his movements imo. i would be leery of giving him 20 games if we're trying to make the playoffs. I think he needs a bit more seasoning... bigger players generally do.
                      - other than this year, mason's save %age since he came here is 0.921. including this year is 0.918. He's a good, but not great, goalie. $4m is a pretty good deal for those numbers. neuvirth since he came here is at .910. this year mason finished with .908 and neuvirth with .891.. .017 is a massive difference! and neuvirth gets signed. pretty weird isnt it? Neuvirth has had flashes of brilliance, maybe hextall just feels he's going to come into his own soon... seems very odd to me to go with the worse performer.
                      Why when people talk about Mason why do we need to ignore certain years, time periods, games...Or general realities? It never ever stops with the guy.

Here's the deal Mason was not a top 30 goalie this season and got paid quite well...To extend him would cost EVEN MORE MONEY for a guy who if we only look at sideways on odd numbered days can be really good...

Neuvirth was signed because he was ridiculously cheaper and willing to take a short term deal.

Let's be honest, if we're quibbling about less than two-tenths of a point between two goalies that were sub top 30 we're not talking about quality...

When one of those goalies nearly doubles his cap hit and is still nearly half the cost the other... We're definitely not doing it right.

The whole "only measure Mason by the good stuff" has to stop...
                      Last edited by Rev_Bully; 04-13-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X