Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullen Gone, Laperriere Retained

From the Sons of Penn site:

On Thursday afternoon Philadelphia FlyersGeneral Manager Ron Hextallannounced that the Flyers have relieved assistant coach Joe Mullen of his duties. Mullen was in charge of the Flyers’ power play, which had been one of the more consistent units over the past few seasons.

Mullen had been with the Flyers since 2007 season and was a large part of their success on the power play. Even this season they had two of the best goal-scorers in the league with Brayden Schenn (17 goals) tied at the top of the league and Wayne Simmonds (16 goals) at 4th in the league.

“I’m not laying anything on Joe Mullen. It was a gut call on my part. I felt like we needed to make a change,” Hextall said.

It’s an interesting choice for a scapegoat this season. Special teams definitely struggled, but it was moreso the penalty kill rather than the power play that cost the Flyers. The Flyers’ penalty kill finished in the bottom-10 of the league for the third straight season under assistant coach Ian Laperriere
    , who will be retained for next season.

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers-relieve...an-laperriere/

Like Ryan Gilbert, I'm puzzled why Mullen is gone while Lappy hangs on.

Also, why is the GM making assistant coaching decisions and not the head coach?

Pretty strange.
    What would Fred do?

Meh.
    It seems that Mullen had to go based on Hextall's gut feeling, maybe also because he did not fit into the group of coaches agewise.

But why are the keepting the guy responsible for having one of the worst PKs in the league? They either think the turnover of the defense will automatically heal the PK or did not understand the problem.

Comment

I hope they bring in an assistant coach to handle all special teams and change Laperriere's role.

It's so weird to me how a few years ago our PK was decent when it was still Laperriere as the PK coach with forwards like Raffl, Read, and Couturier getting a lot of PK time. Fast forward and while all of those guys are still on the roster the struggling PK throws out Bellemare and VDV to start every time.
      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
      Official Facebook
      Official Twitter

Comment

Any chance of bringing in Roenick? Not even sure if he wants to coach though.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkFloydFreak87 View Post
          I hope they bring in an assistant coach to handle all special teams and change Laperriere's role.

It's so weird to me how a few years ago our PK was decent when it was still Laperriere as the PK coach with forwards like Raffl, Read, and Couturier getting a lot of PK time. Fast forward and while all of those guys are still on the roster the struggling PK throws out Bellemare and VDV to start every time.
          Guessing they feel the problem might have been with the pieces given Lappy to use on the PK.

maybe the Couturier experiment comes to an end and he gets back a top end defensive center to build around..Instead of watching him shoe horned into a go nowhere second PP unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
            Guessing they feel the problem might have been with the pieces given Lappy to use on the PK.
            But lots of the pieces that were succeeding on the PK with Lappy are still on the roster, and the last two seasons he's chosen to make Bellemare and vdv his go to pieces.

2016-2017
            Pk 79.8% rank 21/30

Avg SH TOI per game:
            Read 54 sec
            Raffl 2 sec
            Couturier 1:50
            PEB 2:46
            VDV 2:30

2013-2014
            PK 84.8% rank 7/30

Avg SH TOI per game:
            Couturier 3:26
            Read 3:04
            Raffl 1:44

I don't know why he's gotten away from leaning heavily on Couturier (to a degree) and Read on the PK, and took Raffl off of the PK completely this year. It doesn't make sense.
            Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
            Official Facebook
            Official Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PinkFloydFreak87 View Post

But lots of the pieces that were succeeding on the PK with Lappy are still on the roster, and the last two seasons he's chosen to make Bellemare and vdv his go to pieces.

2016-2017
              Pk 79.8% rank 21/30

Avg SH TOI per game:
              Read 54 sec
              Raffl 2 sec
              Couturier 1:50
              PEB 2:46
              VDV 2:30

2013-2014
              PK 84.8% rank 7/30

Avg SH TOI per game:
              Couturier 3:26
              Read 3:04
              Raffl 1:44

I don't know why he's gotten away from leaning heavily on Couturier (to a degree) and Read on the PK, and took Raffl off of the PK completely this year. It doesn't make sense.
              First, I dont know that Lappy necessarily gets to choose who's going to be the PK group...I imagine Hakstol has some say in who's going to be available for what..as does Hextall..hell Mullen probably had some input too...

Second...
              Couturier
              2011-12: 14:08 TOI/GP, 0:26 PPTOI/GP, 2:41 SHTOI/GP, 77 GP TEAM PK% 81.8 (17th)
              2012-13: 15:53 TOI/GP, 1:29 PPTOI/GP. 2:31 SHTOI/GP, 46 GP TEAM PK% 85.9 (5th)
              2013-14: 19:05 TOI/GP, 1:16 PPTOI/GP, 3:25 SHTOI/GP, 82 GP TEAM PK% 84.8 (7th)
              2014-15: 18:23 TOI/GP, 1:34 PPTOI/GP, 2:19 SHTOI/GP, 82 GP TEAM PK% 77.1 (27th)
              2015-16: 18:36 TOI/GP, 1:55 PPTOI/GP, 1:50 SHTOI/GP, 63 GP TEAM PK% 80.5 (20th)
              2016-17: 18:26 TOI/GP, 1:49 PPTOI/GP, 1:50 SHTOI/GP, 66 GP TEAM PK% 79.8 (21st)

In 2012-13 your top 4 Dmen in PK time were Coburn (3:28/g), Grossmann (3:07/g), Timonen (2:55/g), Schenn (2:49/g)
              and your top 6 Forwards in PK time were Talbot (3:28/g), Fedotenko (2:51/g), Couturier (2:31/g), Hall (2:16/g), Read (2:04), Giroux (1:42/g)

In 2013-14 your top 4 Dmen in PK time were Coburn (3:59/g), Timonen (3:24/g), Grossmann (2:40/g), Schenn (2:04/g)
              and your top 6 Forwards in PK time were Talbot (3:35/g), Couturier (3:25/g), Read (3:04/g), Hall (2:58/g), Raffl (1:44/g), VandeVelde (1:35/g)

This season Couturier was third among forwards in PK TOI/G averaging 1:50 per game..

Read has had a slew of injury problems that make him hard to rely on..
              Raffl has been on a steady decline on both PP and PK since 2013-14...

Schultz, Gudas, McDonald and DelZotto over the last two seasons are a noticeable step (or 3) below Coburn, Grossmann, Timonen and Schenn on the PK in 12-13 an 13-14 and probably a bigger impact than swapping out Raffl and Read for VandeVelde and PEB...

Goaltending has been consistently meh on the PK...

The problem may well be that the Flyers 2012-13 and 13-14 PK success was an anomaly and not an indicator of true potential...

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

First, I dont know that Lappy necessarily gets to choose who's going to be the PK group...I imagine Hakstol has some say in who's going to be available for what..as does Hextall..hell Mullen probably had some input too...

Second...
                Couturier
                2011-12: 14:08 TOI/GP, 0:26 PPTOI/GP, 2:41 SHTOI/GP, 77 GP TEAM PK% 81.8 (17th)
                2012-13: 15:53 TOI/GP, 1:29 PPTOI/GP. 2:31 SHTOI/GP, 46 GP TEAM PK% 85.9 (5th)
                2013-14: 19:05 TOI/GP, 1:16 PPTOI/GP, 3:25 SHTOI/GP, 82 GP TEAM PK% 84.8 (7th)
                2014-15: 18:23 TOI/GP, 1:34 PPTOI/GP, 2:19 SHTOI/GP, 82 GP TEAM PK% 77.1 (27th)
                2015-16: 18:36 TOI/GP, 1:55 PPTOI/GP, 1:50 SHTOI/GP, 63 GP TEAM PK% 80.5 (20th)
                2016-17: 18:26 TOI/GP, 1:49 PPTOI/GP, 1:50 SHTOI/GP, 66 GP TEAM PK% 79.8 (21st)

In 2012-13 your top 4 Dmen in PK time were Coburn (3:28/g), Grossmann (3:07/g), Timonen (2:55/g), Schenn (2:49/g)
                and your top 6 Forwards in PK time were Talbot (3:28/g), Fedotenko (2:51/g), Couturier (2:31/g), Hall (2:16/g), Read (2:04), Giroux (1:42/g)

In 2013-14 your top 4 Dmen in PK time were Coburn (3:59/g), Timonen (3:24/g), Grossmann (2:40/g), Schenn (2:04/g)
                and your top 6 Forwards in PK time were Talbot (3:35/g), Couturier (3:25/g), Read (3:04/g), Hall (2:58/g), Raffl (1:44/g), VandeVelde (1:35/g)

This season Couturier was third among forwards in PK TOI/G averaging 1:50 per game..

Read has had a slew of injury problems that make him hard to rely on..
                Raffl has been on a steady decline on both PP and PK since 2013-14...

Schultz, Gudas, McDonald and DelZotto over the last two seasons are a noticeable step (or 3) below Coburn, Grossmann, Timonen and Schenn on the PK in 12-13 an 13-14 and probably a bigger impact than swapping out Raffl and Read for VandeVelde and PEB...

Goaltending has been consistently meh on the PK...

The problem may well be that the Flyers 2012-13 and 13-14 PK success was an anomaly and not an indicator of true potential...
                Goaltending and defensemen have changed over the years, and I know we don't see what the coaches see in practice, but Raffl being removed from the PK this past season is really a head scratcher to me. I also still think Read has been strong defensively, and would like to see Couturier get the most PK time of any forwards. I don't think it would fix all of the woes, but I'm curious why PEB and VDV remained the first forwards out there on the PK all season long.
                Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                Official Facebook
                Official Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X