No announcement yet.

2017 Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lynch...when the Blue Jackets put up 1 goal and don't win the game, that's Bob's fault...he's the baddie?

Weird how you accuse me of putting twists on things..when that's exactly what Columbus did in games 1 and 2. 1 goal. The Blue Jackets posted a 2 goal game once, and lost. They posted 3 or more goals twice and one won and lost one.Those are literally the number of goals the Columbus Blue Jackets mustered over 5 games.There's a twist coming tho...you are right...and it's super obvious...

Has Bob been good in the playoffs? Nope. Never said he was...But the twist..it's about..as Hexy's Axe points out...making Mason fans feel better...quick someone go pull Mason's playoff numbers since 2010

Now here's the twist...when Mason did this not so long ago....

Game 1: WAS 2 PHI 0
    Game 2: WAS 4 PHI 1
    Game 3: WAS 6 PHI 1

That was different because he wasn't a Russian goalie? Because he was 'tired" and "tired" isn't an excuse for Bob...
    Be honest or do I need to go and pull the tweets and posts?!

Is it embarrassingly bad for Mason that in the next 3 games Neuvirth eeked out two wins with:

Game 4: WAS 1 PHI 2
    Game 5: WAS 0 PHI 2
    Game 6: WAS 2 PHI 0

or is that "me sh!tting on Mason?" because it seems like you guys want it both ways...

Because as I recall neither you nor Hexy's over there have ever been real keen on holding Mason to the fire or giving Neuvirth credit..but again...Mason was tired and Neuvirth was super rested...and Bob is just a baddie...

Like I said, I watched a lot of the same people blame Cechmanek for losing against Ottawa, when the Flyers were shut out 3 times and mustered 2 goals (not in the same game)in the series - AND WON A GAME!

Oh and Lynch...salary cap numbers don't matter in the playoffs. SPCs are written for the length of the regular season...Now can great playoff performances help someone get a nicer contract..sure they can...but that's typically a bad bet (Hello John Druce!!)

So...wondering if this p!ssing match you want to have is going to look at RS numbers at some point...I'd argue that Bob isn't worth 7.5m...but that when guys like Mason are making 4.1m...it's hard for the top end tenders not to get inflated too...or is that cap number thing just something you really want to trot out about a guy who's up for his second Vezina in the last 5 years?

TL/DR;

You: OMG Bobrovsky sucks for not winning the games!
    Me: Columbus didn;t score many goals
    You: Always making excuses for the guy you like, Bob is teh baddie!!
    Me: So when the Flyers couldn;t get more than one on the board last year against the Caps, it was Mason's fault?
    You: You're twisting things!! Mason is totally different *swoons dreamily*
    Last edited by Rev_Bully; 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Typical Rev...so please stop. You spin your tires more than a damn hotrod.

Comment

Where was the spin?

You won't answer a single relevant question but call it spin to point out you and many others took the opposite view of Mason last year?

Team scores 1 goal is it on the goalie if they lose? It's really that simple. Bob was bad, the Jackets as a whole were bad and as a whole underperformed. Not just at goaltender.

6th highest PPG average in the league but posted 2 or fewer in 3 of 5 games not relevant

Don't try to call someone out and then run away from all of the fact​s..

weird how you can't defend your take on Mason versus your take on Bob. I can defend mine.

Tired isn't an excuse. Mason looked bad and the Flyers didn't score enough to counter the pressure. You can't expect shutouts to carry you forward. Neuvirth stood on his head and literally stole things. The Caps have a choke issue.

Likewise Bob needs to do better and the Jackets need to score. MAF is not a great tender but the Pens play at another level in the playoffs. 1 or 2 goals isn't enough...Especially not when you were averaging over 3 in the regular season.

Now you try...

Comment

Homer's trading Bob was a bad idea. But it did not doom the franchise. And I would still rather have bob than mason. Bob has plenty of career left to do better when it counts, and so does Mason.

I'm not a big believer of the idea that some guys play better or worse in the playoffs. I think most of the differences in the numbers are just due to small sample sizes. Maybe some players can be better game-planned against which is much more of a factor in a 7 game series. Maybe certain role players look better because they are just never out against the top players on the other side because matchups become even more controlled. Maybe, possibly, some players can't raise their compete level because they're already competing at max just to keep their roster spot. But overall I think you're the same player in the postseason as you are in the regular season. I'd like to see some numbers to test my assumption though.

Comment

Bob was bad. Mason was bad. Looking at their career playoff numbers, Bob is worse when you consider the team is playing him 7.5 compared to the 4-something that Mason received. The money paid to any player is a reflection on how much the team counts on said player to carry them in the playoffs. When they fail...they get blamed. You were all content with blaming Mason when he sucked...but don't allow people to tear a hole into your boy-toy Bob? Come on!!

Yes...the BJs offense didn't help pull victories when their goalie was unable to do anything for them...so what? That doesn't change how much Bob sucked.

You bring up Mason's performance in last year's 3 games...he sucked also. But why were you not as defensive of people throwing darts at him when he had no support? You're quick on the trigger to blame Mason...but truth be told...he's been slightly better than Bob in the playoffs, while still sucking. And that hurts your feelings. Boohoo....

For the record...i didn't bring Mason up. Also...you have taken a clear stance that when choosing Neuvy or Mason, Mason should be expected to do more because of what he gets paid. Why would you not use the same logic for your boy? Because you like being the one who defends an opinion to the end and try to tear other opinions down by spinning the truth.

The TRUTH is that the Tweet i placed here is absolutely correct. Bob SUCKS when he's played in the playoffs. Is that correct? Yes or no? Answer that question? And that is all we're talking about. If you want to discuss Cechmanek or Mason and the way they were vilified or defended by people...that is really for another time. If you want to compare your criticism of Mason's performance with mine of Bob's in the playoffs...we can continue.
            Last edited by lynchmob450; 04-26-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
              Homer's trading Bob was a bad idea. But it did not doom the franchise. And I would still rather have bob than mason. Bob has plenty of career left to do better when it counts, and so does Mason.
              Agree, I'd take Bob over Mase.

Bob's playoff numbers are what they are, but a lot of it seems to be due to wilting defenses that give a fired-up opponent extra whacks at the puck from in close. Like Jonathan Quick, Bob is superb down low, but can be beaten high if his defensemen don't box out and clear rebounds.

What would Fred do?

Comment

So we're going to do this point by point:

Bob was bad. Mason was bad.
                No, Bob was bad. Mason was "tired" and that's the problem you still don;t seem capable of dealing with. And let's be clear the "Mason was tired" excuse wasn;t something pushed by no-names on twitter...it was coming from the big guys including Meltzer and was parroted by a whole lot of people.

Looking at their career playoff numbers,
                They are remarkably similar..

Bob is worse when you consider the team is playing him 7.5 compared to the 4-something that Mason received.
                Players don't get paid based on their SPCs in the playoffs. Salary numbers are meaningless.

The money paid to any player is a reflection on how much the team counts on said player to carry them in the playoffs.
                Half the teams in the league don;t make the playoffs in any given season. Many are perennial playoff no-shows. These are indisputable facts that you're going to have explain away given the above statement.

When they fail...they get blamed.
                Unless they're Steve Mason, then it's just being exhausted..

You were all content with blaming Mason when he sucked
                No, I was content with pointing out the ridiculousness of trying to give Mason a "Tired Pass." There's no point in playing to exhaustion just to make the playoffs..when you can;t perform in them. Well there is a point..but ti has to do with making money for the company not with playing hockey.

Further, given your statement in point 4, shouldn't you be a lot more upset with Mason than I am? Or are you suggesting the Flyers pay Mason 4.1m a year to lose games in the playoffs?

Hell, I'm not even upset with Mason, I'm upset with the ridiculous cult built around him.

but don't allow people to tear a hole into your boy-toy Bob?
                Where did I not allow people to "tear a hole" in Bob? Pointing out you can;t beat the Pens scoring one goal doesn't negate any criticism of Bob's performance...

Pointing out that people eager and willing to accept "tired" as an excuse last year should be the last folks to open their mouths about anyone this year..that's nothing to do with Bob or Mason and everything to do with fanboy mentalities..

We'll continue this in another post..

Comment

...moving on

Yes...the BJs offense didn't help pull victories when their goalie was unable to do anything for them...so what?
                  Game 1: The Blue Jackets scored 1 goal. Game 2: The Blue Jackets scored 1 goal.

Your claim is that anything less than a shutout performance is a "goalie unable to do anything for [the team]"

Which is a standard I don't recall you ever sharing outside of wanting to bash Bob or again, you'd be pretty pissed at Mason regularly.

You seem to be glossing over the fact that CBJ lost 2 games where they scored 1 goal. Demanding shutout victories..well that's very Cechmanek of you..

I'm going to bold this, because it's important.You can't win without out scoring your opponent. So when the scoring doesn't show up it makes winning impossible.

That doesn't change how much Bob sucked.
                  I'm wondering what goalie in the league doesn't suck in your eyes given the expectation of more than 1 goal a game is a burden for the skaters to "pull out victories when the goalie was unable to do anything for them"

You bring up Mason's performance in last year's 3 games...he sucked also.
                  No, he was tired. A widely accepted excuse, one I am positive you've used.

But why were you not as defensive of people throwing darts at him when he had no support?
                  See this is where you're wrong. I didn't agree with giving Mason a free pass because he was tired. And I explained that to Meltzer and others, and did so again in point 6 (no point in chasing the playoffs if you're going to be to tired ti perform in them).

I actually did make the same argument, that the Flyers can;t win games without scoring goals last year...

You're quick on the trigger to blame Mason...
                  No, I'm quick on the trigger to call out the cult thtat thinks he's a legit top end goaltender. he's not. That upsets a lot of people. Weird how truth works.

but truth be told...he's been slightly better than Bob in the playoffs, while still sucking.
                  He's slightly better than the guy you've invested a hole lot of time in making sure everyone knows is horrible in the playoffs? You feel that's a positive?

And that hurts your feelings. Boohoo....
                  Nope, doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Anytime people want to put the hypocrisy on parade I find it funny as hell. Here's the truth...short of Carcillo winning the Cup...I really didn't/don't want to see any former Flyer lift the cup. I'm not happy that Bob is likely to win his second Vezina in 5 years...but I was also loudly against signing Bryz when damn near everyone else was insisting it was necessary before suddenly deciding they never liked the idea a year later...

And we'll continue...
                  Last edited by Rev_Bully; 04-27-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

...and finally

For the record...i didn't bring Mason up.
                    No, I did. because when a middle of the pack goalie gets an excuse like "he was tired" and folks suck it down without needing the spponful of sugar..it's ridiculous for that same base to want to criticize a guy up for his second effing Vezina...it's like criticzing brodeur or Roy while defending Ken Wregget. (Not equating Bob to Roy or Brodeur, equating situational awareness of fanbase).

Also...you have taken a clear stance that when choosing Neuvy or Mason, Mason should be expected to do more because of what he gets paid.
                    In the regular season.

And inevitably someone like you has to point out "Well without that run last year they never make the playoffs" which then brings us back to point 6. The run doesn't matter if you're too tired to do anything when you get there!

Why would you not use the same logic for your boy? Because you like being the one who defends an opinion to the end and try to tear other opinions down by spinning the truth.
                    Let's talk truth and logic then, mostly because I don;t think I have said anything differnt about Bob than I have of Maons or any tender before him, need goal support before getting hypercritical of tender...can;t win without scoring.

Since 2008-09, 40 goaltenders have played 660 minutes or more in the playoffs.

Why 2008-09? Year Mason entered the league.
                    Why 660 minutes Number of playoff Minutes Mason has played.

Of those 40 goaltenders who has won the fewest number of games? Mason with 2.
                    Mason is 36th out of 40 in SV%. Mason is 39th out of 40 in GAA.

Why bring this up? You did say "The money paid to any player is a reflection on how much the team counts on said player to carry them in the playoffs."

Some interesting names and numbers for you to ponder...

Leighton won 8 games in that same span, is 28th in SV% and 24th in GAA.
                    Neuvirth won 6 games in that same span, is 5th in SV% and 2nd in GAA.

If we're being truthful and logical about the things you posited with regards to playoff stats and "money paid" Neuvirth should be making considerably more than the 2.5m he will next season..and Mason shouldn't be making anywhere near 4.1m unless the odd little spin trap you tried to set about Bob's cap hit versus Mason's isn't something you want to carry over to EVERY OTHER GOALIE IN THE LEAGUE but then that would just be spin..and you wouldn't do that...right?

The TRUTH is that the Tweet i placed here is absolutely correct. Bob SUCKS when he's played in the playoffs. Is that correct? Yes or no? Answer that question? And that is all we're talking about.
                    Because Bob operates in a vacuum. Or because it's easier for you to justify being critical of Bob by insisting we not talk about anyone else?

Brayden Holtby is 26-26 in the playoffs in the same span as point 17. Is he average? Is .500 good? great?
                    he's also got the second best SV% and 3rd best GAA. Should he be better than 26-26 given those stats?

Or does this whole trying to talk in a vacuum thing not really work when you need goals to win games no matter how good or bd your tender is?

If you want to discuss Cechmanek or Mason and the way they were vilified or defended by people...that is really for another time. If you want to compare your criticism of Mason's performance with mine of Bob's in the playoffs...we can continue.
                    Nope...you don't get to skate off like that...when you act as if expecting forwards to score is "bailing out the under-performing tender" you've entered Cechmanek waters and you don;t get to paddle out...

When your team averages 3 goals a game in the regular season and you lose only one game where you scored 3 or more in the playoffs (and lose in OT no less)..trying to put it all on the tender is going Cechmanek.

CBJ lost 2 games where they scored 1 goal. That's on the goalie? That's the standard you want to set? How about the game they lost when they scored 2 goals? We setting that standard Team scores 2 goals..goalie better bring home the W? Just wondering..

hey it's cool...set that standard now...Mason's likely out of town anyway...

Comment

Seriously Anth...reading your rebuttal makes me realize that you have some serious issues. If you live your life the way you breakdown other people's opinions...i feel sorry for you. Instead of responding to some of your asinine responses in the last 3 posts...i'll allow you to feel smarter than everyone else with your alt-reality opinions.

Comment

Working...
                      X