Flyers land 2nd overall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
    well... this is pretty cool! Congats to the NHL for making the lottery relevant with the current percentages. Tanking doesn't seem as appealing anymore when you're likely to go from #1 to #4.

but also, why cant we win it in a real meaningful year like the oilers and the pens and the hawks did.
    I don't think the Kane draft was that meaningful at the time. I may be wrong but I dont think he was thought of like McDavid, Matthews, or Crosby, and his rookie year was considered surprising.

i think it's fair to say the Flyers won't be getting a potential top 10 forward, but elite is not outside the realm of possibility.
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

I think the only reason this draft is looked down upon is because there isn't much consensus after the first 2 picks. It doesn't have generational stars like McDavid or Mathews, but Patrick and Hischier are both really good players who will feature on top lines and likely end up being 70+ point players. I take that as a win. I can't wait to see which of the 2 we get, and by no means would want us to trade the pick unless it is for a ****ing landslide of talent.

Oh and to me, I take JVR back any day of the week. Trading him was a mistake we should never have made and I hope we never repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
        I think the only reason this draft is looked down upon is because there isn't much consensus after the first 2 picks. It doesn't have generational stars like McDavid or Mathews, but Patrick and Hischier are both really good players who will feature on top lines and likely end up being 70+ point players. I take that as a win. I can't wait to see which of the 2 we get, and by no means would want us to trade the pick unless it is for a ****ing landslide of talent.

Oh and to me, I take JVR back any day of the week. Trading him was a mistake we should never have made and I hope we never repeat.
        Return may have been a mistake, trading JVR was absolutely the right decision. Too many wings at the time and JVR was wildly inconsistent and expensive...

Comment

While no McDavid or Matthews you can look at Nico as some of the young kids like Drouin, Nylander or Marner where as a rookie he could put up 60 pts in the right situation. Both could play in the NHL next year -- if we go for Nico (which I would rather) he could play wing he also is able to play in the AHL next year.

Comment

Ice...you're absolutely correct. Anyone who thinks there is no talent in this draft is really wrong. There will be a lot of talent coming out, its just missing franchise players (which is unfortunate for us).

What will be really interesting is to see how the player the Flyers pick take the snub from the Devils and uses it as a chip on their shoulder longterm every time we play the Devils. This will be fantastic to follow for Flyers fans and the 10 or so fans of the Devils.

Comment

Id trade the pick for mackinnon in a heartbeat... But otherwise I'll be happy with whoever New Jersey leaves behind for us. Picking immediately after them worked well in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                Ice...you're absolutely correct. Anyone who thinks there is no talent in this draft is really wrong. There will be a lot of talent coming out, its just missing franchise players (which is unfortunate for us).
                Agree.

What will be really interesting is to see how the player the Flyers pick take the snub from the Devils and uses it as a chip on their shoulder longterm every time we play the Devils. This will be fantastic to follow for Flyers fans and the 10 or so fans of the Devils.
                Hopefully they don't go off the board...the snub fuel is a good angle...

Comment

in a real weak draft, I wonder what the 2nd overall could get in trade or moving down in the draft?

Comment

we have some moveable pieces too like 7 of the first 109 picks, 2nd overall, 44th, 75th, 80th and then a run of 106th-108th, we should gget some nice picks there, but also trade commodities

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
                      in a real weak draft, I wonder what the 2nd overall could get in trade or moving down in the draft?
                      In my mind it just depends on how Hextall and the scouts feel about the available players. If they think there is no real quality difference, or they have tremendous concerns about (for example) Patrick's health and he's the player available, then they ought to consider trading down a few spots if they can still grab the guy they want.

But the team is definitely at a place where they need quality forward assets rather than just additional prospect quantity, so if they think there's a real quality difference they ought to stay put absent being blown away (e.g. swap with Vegas for their 1st year + receive their 1st next year + swap 2nds this and next year).
                      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Working...
                      X