No announcement yet.

Flyers land 2nd overall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lack of excitement around here for the 2nd overall pick is crazy. It's not a "really weak" draft...it's an average draft. It doesn't contain generational talents, but still plenty of high quality players.

We're essentially getting a #1 center who likely average 70-80 pts over the course of his career. Not exactly chopped liver.

But I really wanted a Lamborghini and I only got a Porsche! Lighten up guys....it's all good....

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
      We're essentially getting a #1 center who likely average 70-80 pts over the course of his career. Not exactly chopped liver.
      There's definitely no guarantee of that! Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov, even Mackinnon hasnt shown that much. We'll prolly get at least a 50-60 pt guy. But imo there's a huge difference between pretty good players and great players. You can only build around great players. Hopefully our pick turns into one!

2016: Matthews, Laine
      2015: McDavid, Eichel
      2014: Ekblad, Reinhart
      2013: Mackinnon, Barkov
      2012: Yakupov, Murray
      2011: RNH, Landeskog
      2010: Taylor Hall, Seguin
      2009: Tavares, Hedman
      2008: Kane, JVR

Comment

The lack of excitement around here for the 2nd overall pick is crazy. It's not a "really weak" draft...it's an average draft. It doesn't contain generational talents, but still plenty of high quality players.

But I really wanted a Lamborghini and I only got a Porsche! Lighten up guys....it's all good....
        I'm excited, but I can't really invest much interest until it happens since so much depends on who the Devils pick. I'm not gonna burn any calories researching either guy until we select one. Trust me, I'm pretty pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

There's definitely no guarantee of that! Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov, even Mackinnon hasnt shown that much. We'll prolly get at least a 50-60 pt guy. But imo there's a huge difference between pretty good players and great players. You can only build around great players. Hopefully our pick turns into one!

Agreed.

i'm excited, but I'm not willing to go hyper until more info is in...hell I don;t necessarily trust hextall and company to do what everyone expects...

Comment

Just curious ... how many players have put up over 100 points in the WHL as a 17 year old? He also tied for the lead in play-off scoring in the WHL that season. Part of me wonders if we are nitpicking these kids just because the draft isn't as good as 2015 and 2016. Not many drafts will be as good as those two years. It doesn't mean that they can't be really good players in the mold of other high picks like Tavares and Hall or Seguin.
            Last edited by phillymac14; 05-03-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

Fair enough. Let’s go conservative and say either guy turns into a 30/30 (60 pt) player. I’m good with that. For Nolan I’ve seen Monahan, Bergeron and Toews (relax everyone) comparisons…Toews puts up high 50’s to high 60’s generally speaking, Bergeron’s average has been around 60 pts and Monahan is looking like a 60 point guy as well. I’d been happy with any of those “types”. We’re not getting a world beater at #2, but we should get a solid first line player who should be able to grow with this team (along with Rubstov, Lindblom, TK etc).

I don’t see anything in their games that suggests another Yakupov (who many questioned his IQ and one dimensional play). Also, RNH hasn’t been bad either (mid 50’s first couple of years on a disaster of a team). MacKinnon also hit 63 as a rookie, and that team has since spiraled out of control.

I think the Flyers are “set up” better with a great young blue line and some very good “vets” (Giroux, Jake, Simmer, Schenn, Couts) who could certainly insulate Nico or Nolan much better than Edm or Col did….JMHO.

Comment

Fair enough. Let’s go conservative and say either guy turns into a 30/30 (60 pt) player. I’m good with that. For Nolan I’ve seen Monahan, Bergeron and Toews (relax everyone) comparisons…Toews puts up high 50’s to high 60’s generally speaking, Bergeron’s average has been around 60 pts and Monahan is looking like a 60 point guy as well. I’d been happy with any of those “types”. We’re not getting a world beater at #2, but we should get a solid first line player who should be able to grow with this team (along with Rubstov, Lindblom, TK etc).

I don’t see anything in their games that suggests another Yakupov (who many questioned his IQ and one dimensional play). Also, RNH hasn’t been bad either (mid 50’s first couple of years on a disaster of a team). MacKinnon also hit 63 as a rookie, and that team has since spiraled out of control.

I think the Flyers are “set up” better with a great young blue line and some very good “vets” (Giroux, Jake, Simmer, Schenn, Couts) who could certainly insulate Nico or Nolan much better than Edm or Col did….JMHO.
                I mean i'm GOOD with it. Like i won't hate the kid if he MERELY is a 30/30 guy. But if we want to win a cup we need young greatness up front and this stroke of luck could be a shortcut to get there. That's what I'm hoping for.

Comment

Well Said.

Worth remembering Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cups, Mario 2. Sid 2 being the generational talent, being the top tier star..doesn't mean you're winning the prize every year...

...this is a transformative moment for the Flyers franchise...and opens up a lot of options...almost immediately...

...I'm getting more stoked thinking about it

Comment

Trading Giroux this spring would make the most sense. Giroux for Sergachev and Grabovsky
                    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by evee1234 View Post
                      Trading Giroux this spring would make the most sense. Giroux for Sergachev and Grabovsky
                      Trading Giroux would get us players who will enter their prime along with our other young guys, but I think it's a bad idea for two reasons. #1 it means our young players now are going to develop on a shit team, which I think is detrimental. #2 it's totally unrealistic (assuming development goes well) that we'll even be able to keep all of the young D and F we already have as they enter their prime, adding more doesn't help.

Long term I think you keep Giroux and try to win in the next couple of years as our players develop. Then you consider moving him for picks and very young prospects to keep a steady flow of developing players.
                      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Working...
                      X