Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is an elite #1 Center Really?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
    I think a solid #1 Center gets you to the playoffs, but it seems to me over the years that when playoff time rolls around, it's those unsung 3rd and 4th line players that shine in the playoffs. Not sure why, but those character guys seem to make a big difference. Players in the last few years that come to mind are Boyle, Winnik, Ward, those grinder kind of guys.
    imo thats because matchups are even more a thing in the playoffs. those 3rd liners are now consistently facing the weakest players on the other team.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post

... Justin Williams just keeps getting it done as well. He isn't exactly a top 6 forward in the league anymore.
      good point, over the last few years he might just be the most clutch guy come playoff time.

Comment

Still hurts we didn't keep Williams. That trade, patrick sharp and trading for Lindros are my top 3 most despised trades. Perspective is long-term only,

Comment

It takes a team to win a Cup, but the road is much harder and less likely without somebody to lead the line. The kind of guy you have to gameplan to stop. Guy who consistently can come up big in big moments. Big goals, big draws in the dot. The straw that stirs the drink. Great teams need to have great spines. It starts in goal, builds out to transition D-men. Next has to be your center icemen. Wingers and forwards finish the work. Flyers may have crease talent in abundance down on the farm. League talks all the time about their young defense corps. Maybe it's time to start thinking about helping G.......on the way to supplanting him............

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

imo thats because matchups are even more a thing in the playoffs. those 3rd liners are now consistently facing the weakest players on the other team.
            Which, in a bit of a circular argument, is likely because the top defense has to go against true #1 Center types.

Comment

Originally posted by FLexible FLyer View Post
              It takes a team to win a Cup, but the road is much harder and less likely without somebody to lead the line. The kind of guy you have to gameplan to stop. Guy who consistently can come up big in big moments. Big goals, big draws in the dot. The straw that stirs the drink. Great teams need to have great spines. It starts in goal, builds out to transition D-men. Next has to be your center icemen. Wingers and forwards finish the work. Flyers may have crease talent in abundance down on the farm. League talks all the time about their young defense corps. Maybe it's time to start thinking about helping G.......on the way to supplanting him............
              I agree that you need a guy or guys that you need to gameplan to stop. I don't think that necessarily needs to be C1, or even a forward. I think teams playing Ottawa need to gameplan Karlsson. Ghost was the kind of guy near the end of his rookie season that teams needed to gameplan against. Could he maybe get back to that status? Or in a few years if Sanheim drives offensive play on his pairing, and Ghost looks closer to his rookie year than this year, will teams be trying to figure how to stop that?

I'm relieved they have this pick to hopefully draft the guy to supplant Giroux, but I think even if they hadn't hit the lottery this year that the best plan was just going to be to stay the course in seeing what they have with the D prospects and just trying to keep drafting good players, hoping for a mid or late 1st round pick to exceed expectations.
              Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
              Official Facebook
              Official Twitter

Comment

In this order:

Blueliner
                Centerman
                Goalie
                Centerman
                Winger
                Blueliner
                Blueliner
                Winger
                Blueliner
                Winger
                Winger
                others

Comment

Obviously this is just 1 game, but with Johanssen and Fisher out, these are the regular season stats of nashville's 4 centers tonight.

Jarnkrok 31 points in 81 games
                  Sissons 10 points in 58 games
                  Fiddler 4 points in 59 games
                  Gaudreau 1 point in 9 games

Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                  Official Facebook
                  Official Twitter

Comment

Starting with the puck is critical. 2 strong at c plus a stud defender

Comment

Not sure if you have to have a #1 Center per se, but you do certainly need a #1 "go to" guy, that can elevate the play of those around him.

Comment

Working...
                      X