Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nolan vs Nico

Nolan Patrick vs Nico Hischier

In a few years, we will probably hate one of these kids and love the other. Hopefully we don't end up hating them both. As of now, they are just kids with enormous potential. They could end up being busts or superstars. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from watching the #1 overall pick end our Stanley Cup dreams in 2010 while we hoped our #2 pick turned into something for us.
    In 3-5 years time, do you think we'll look back on this as we do on the Kane/JVR draft?

I don't know much about these kids. I've read a few articles over the past few days and I think I'm leaning towards Hischier right now. But I'll probably change my mind a few times before the draft.

Who do you like better and why? Who do you think the Devils will take?

I'm just glad we're not the team that has to make the decision. I'll be thrilled with whichever one we get considering where we were before Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie View Post
      I'm just glad we're not the team that has to make the decision. I'll be thrilled with whichever one we get considering where we were before Saturday.
      Agree completely. It's out of the Flyers control which one they end up with, so I'm going to try not to spend the next 2 months going crazy with a million scenarios in my head. I'm just thrilled that there is a chance they could get a really nice high end center in the draft.
      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
      Official Facebook
      Official Twitter

Comment

This is based on reading and watching highlights only.

I don't have a favorite as a player at the moment, but Nolan's substantial injury history (fairly substantial injuries in every season except for his first year in the WHL) has me leaning towards Nico as the preferred pick.

Pluses for Nico appear to be his motor, compete level, all around creativity.

Pluses for Nolan are his wrist shot, size, and two way play.

I don't have the concerns that this is JVR/Kane. My concern at the time about JVR was that his natural physical gifts of size and skating would mask a lack of hockey sense that would prevent him from being an elite level wing; I think that has borne out. My concerns about these players not reaching their potential relate to injury and mediocre skating (Nolan) and lack of high end shot and high end straight line speed (Nico). There doesn't appear to be anything lacking on the hockey sense side of things.
        "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Are these two projected as NHL ready or another year+ in Juniors? Usually only the generational talents are ready but the salary cap era has seen many more make the jump earlier.

Comment

I'll never forget that draft night. So many experts in here damning holmgren to hell for not selecting "the next Steve yzerman"... Kyle Turris. I was hoping we'd trade down and take voracek. In the end I think we got the 2nd best player in the draft... Eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by CLJ View Post
              Are these two projected as NHL ready or another year+ in Juniors? Usually only the generational talents are ready but the salary cap era has seen many more make the jump earlier.
              My understanding is that Patrick is NHL ready. I have not the same about Hischier (but i'm assuming he'd be right with Patrick).

Comment

It's the injury history that concerns. Happy with either, does the NHL allow medicals for draft picks like the NFL does?

Comment

Hischier is 6' 1" and 173 lbs. He will need to fill out before being an impact center in NHL. Patrick already has the size. Former NHL scout Grant McCagg suggested on his Twitter feed that there are questions about Patrick's character. Not that he's a Billy Tibbetts type but more like he is all about himself and his work ethic is not consistent. Some (including McCagg) are speculating NJD might go for D Miro Heiskanen first.

Comment

i would be more concerned about drafting for the highest ceiling. our window is still 3 years away.

Comment

Working...
                    X