No announcement yet.

Nolan vs Nico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy to land either, but suspect the Moosehead is a better fit for Hextall's timetable.

Comment

I'd prefer Nolan Patrick of the Brandon Wheat Kings...

...I am very, very hesitant to buy into hype around offensively-minded QMJHL forwards...especially when they aren't generational talents.

two, Q players have been drafted first overall since 2000, Crosby (generational talent) and McKinnon

Since 1990 it's been 4, Crosby, McKinnon, Lecavelier and Daigle.

And yes, I know there have been even fewer WHL first overalls in either span...

Nico averaged roughly 1.51 points per game this season, Nolan, injuries and all, averaged 1.39 in the WHL...perhaps my bias is showing but that's not a big enough point differential coming out of the Q and international play is not a good indicator of NHL abilities...

In their lone shared International tournament, the 15-16 Hlinka Memorial, Nico posted 6 points in 4 games. Nolan posted 5 points in 4 games.

Nico is 3 months younger, about 3 inches and 20 pounds lighter...at 6'0 and 179.

While I will be happy with either, my preference is Patrick...

Comment

They said Nico measured just under 6'2" at the combine. So he's about 1 inch shorter. The weight will come eventually. My point is that size really shouldn't factor into the decision. It should be all the other stuff but mainly who will be the better NHL player over their career. Thankfully I don't have to make this decision but since we are at 2, Hextall doesn't have to make it either.
        Last edited by phillymac14; 06-19-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I've been on the Hischier bandwagon since the World Jrs...he was excellent! So when we won the #2 pick, it was clear that i'd prefer him. But looking at the two guy's highlights...the one thing i see in Patrick that i don't see in Hischier's is a sniper quality shot. Not sure if i am looking for something to make it easy to accept whoever we end up getting, but i'm now leaning on Patrick being a better fit to what we currently need.

As others have mentioned, i'll be happy with either...but i am now leaning towards Patrick and hoping the Debs take Hischier (or better yet...go and the the dman).

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
            I'd prefer Nolan Patrick of the Brandon Wheat Kings...

...I am very, very hesitant to buy into hype around offensively-minded QMJHL forwards...especially when they aren't generational talents.

two, Q players have been drafted first overall since 2000, Crosby (generational talent) and McKinnon

Since 1990 it's been 4, Crosby, McKinnon, Lecavelier and Daigle.

And yes, I know there have been even fewer WHL first overalls in either span...

Nico averaged roughly 1.51 points per game this season, Nolan, injuries and all, averaged 1.39 in the WHL...perhaps my bias is showing but that's not a big enough point differential coming out of the Q and international play is not a good indicator of NHL abilities...

In their lone shared International tournament, the 15-16 Hlinka Memorial, Nico posted 6 points in 4 games. Nolan posted 5 points in 4 games.

Nico is 3 months younger, about 3 inches and 20 pounds lighter...at 6'0 and 179.

While I will be happy with either, my preference is Patrick...
            I think Patrick is the "safer pick" but with less upside...

Everything I've read/heard/seen says this kids game translates well to the NHL. There is no wow factor, but he checks the box in every category. I think a part of Patrick's issues are being over-scouted. Kid has been hyped for a few years now and people start to look for flaws. Tavares went through a similar thing his draft year.

A lot of people have compared Patrick to Eric Staal which sounds about right. Good size, plays a sound game, but will never blow you away. If you look at Staal's numbers the first 10 years (minus his 100 point season), he averaged around 69 pts. A few really nice seasons but overall a steady 'bread and butter' guy.

Nico on the other hand might have the potential to put up bigger numbers (80+ points) but there's always the Q concern and how that translates to the big show. Personally I think Nico will be a star, and as Phillymac noted, I believe the height difference at the combine was only half inch. The other part that I like about Nico is the lack of injury history, which is an obvious concern for Patrick.

Having said all that, Patrick by all accounts is a "true center" which is obviously a big plus. I've read some stuff where Nico might be more suited for the wing at the NHL level.

All in all, both guys have their pro's and con's, and we should be getting a pretty good player at who ever "falls" to #2.

Comment

Working...
            X