NHL, concussions and Crosby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL, concussions and Crosby

So watching the Caps/Pens last night when Crosby takes a header into the end boards and is slow getting up. NHL concussion spotters did nothing, it appeared the training staff did nothing and his coach says they did nothing. I am no Crosby fan but for the so-called "face of the league" not be better protected by the league and his team is a joke. I wonder if they would have pulled a lesser player out and made them go through the protocol?

That was one of the first times I can remember being truly worried about the guy. Not saying I didn't care about other hits, but that one looked so dangerous, and he has to still be suffering effects from the one a week ago. I really couldn't believe they didn't pull him.

Comment

you would think there would be a memo before each game to the spotters, here are the players with recent head injuries/history to keep a close eye on.

Comment

I almost cared last night....almost

Hey, what time is it everybody??

Five past Fleury!

Pens are going down...

Comment

According to TSN they didn't have the authority to pull him:

http://www.tsn.ca/concussion-spotter...rosby-1.746710

According to current National Hockey League guidelines, colliding into the boards is not a "mechanism of injury" that would give concussion spotters the ability to remove a player.

“Depending on the mechanism of injury, ‘slow to get up’ does not trigger mandatory removal,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told Kevin Allen of USA TODAY Sports. “The protocol has to be interpreted literally to mandate a removal. ‘Ice’ as compared to ‘boards’ is in there for a reason. It’s the result of a study on our actual experiences over a number of years. ‘Ice’ has been found to be a predictor of concussions -- ‘boards’ has not been.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
            I almost cared last night....almost

Hey, what time is it everybody??

Five past Fleury!

Pens are going down...
            It's hard to bet against the Cap's opponent in the 2nd round.

Comment

Let's hope the Caps improve to 2 -10.

Comment

Lol at the pens fans with their Holtby chant when it was 5-1. Yeah. You really showed him. I think he fell asleep.
                The caps fans should start their own Holtby chant tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
                  According to TSN they didn't have the authority to pull him:

http://www.tsn.ca/concussion-spotter...rosby-1.746710
                  then that's just a disgrace on the NHL NHLPA and the coaching staff of the Pens. Just because the ice causes concussions more than boards means everyone gets to just shrug their shoulders? I hate Cindy just as much as everyone else here, but it's completely ridiculous that just because it's the board everyone can turn their head and say "he's fine". Even in the NFL, if there's a thought that there's a concussion, the player is out for at least a few downs. There's no reason Crosby couldn't have been pulled for a few shifts just to make sure.
                  "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

then that's just a disgrace on the NHL NHLPA and the coaching staff of the Pens. Just because the ice causes concussions more than boards means everyone gets to just shrug their shoulders? I hate Cindy just as much as everyone else here, but it's completely ridiculous that just because it's the board everyone can turn their head and say "he's fine". Even in the NFL, if there's a thought that there's a concussion, the player is out for at least a few downs. There's no reason Crosby couldn't have been pulled for a few shifts just to make sure.
                    You realize this is Cindy Crosby?
                    what the hell is going on here?
                    please close this thread!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X