Nolan Patrick is a Flyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

Fine as in, we're thrilled an injury prone kid is having another surgery? There's nothing fine about it....

We heard how long it took G to deal with it, and Ghost struggled as well.

The Flyers knowing about it doesn't really make it better. This isn't exactly a 2014 thing. It's from 3 weeks ago..
    Patrick was misdiagnosed with having a single hernia when it was in fact a double hernia. The surgery he had previously only addressed one of them and he struggled this year because the misdiagnosis leaded to improper treatment. The surgery he had in June was to correct the fact that they didn't do it right the first time.

It's the same injury, not a reoccurence.

Comment

Fine as in, we're thrilled an injury prone kid is having another surgery? There's nothing fine about it....

We heard how long it took G to deal with it, and Ghost struggled as well.

The Flyers knowing about it doesn't really make it better. This isn't exactly a 2014 thing. It's from 3 weeks ago..
      The Flyers knowing about it makes it a non-issue. The surgery is fixing an existing injury, he'll rehab over the summer with a professional staff that he's probably never had anything close to before, and be ready for training camp. I really don't understand the problem.

Comment

beyond the hernia he's had other injuries too. i think people are right to be concerned. forget the misdiagnosis, thats still a lot of lost games. but i'm quite glad they did their homework atleast. time will tell.

I would like to see some studies to answer if some players more prone to injury than others. Certainly your playing style needs to be realistic for your frame... but doesn't it seem like some people are just more durable? And they aren't always the in shape ones... for example, hartnell always seemed kind of doughy but doesnt miss many games. pete rose looked like a chump kinda but never got hurt. Then you have guys like brindamour which make sense based on his dedication in the gym.
        Last edited by clumsysnake; 06-30-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit View Post

Patrick was misdiagnosed with having a single hernia when it was in fact a double hernia. The surgery he had previously only addressed one of them and he struggled this year because the misdiagnosis leaded to improper treatment. The surgery he had in June was to correct the fact that they didn't do it right the first time.

It's the same injury, not a reoccurence.
          Pit, I'm fully aware of what took place this year with Patrick. However, the story going into the draft was that the 2nd hernia was treated "conservatively" and there was no indication he was heading for a 2nd procedure. Obviously the 2nd sports hernia was as serious as the first. And if you know anyone that's dealt with it, it's pretty damn painful. Pretending it's no big deal is silly. The major concern around this kid was his injury history. Sticking our heads in the sand won't make things better.

Here's a snapshot of his injury history:

http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-conte...PATRICK-05.jpg

I'm not calling for mass hysteria, it's just more disappointing than anything. Instead of talking about his performance at developmental camp, we'll be talking about yet another procedure.

The kid is a serious talent, I just hope injuries don't define him more than his on ice production.

PS - Rev or anyone who knows how to embed the image please feel free to do so. Thanks!
          Last edited by Hexy's Axe; 07-01-2017, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Pit, I'm fully aware of what took place this year with Patrick. However, the story going into the draft was that the 2nd hernia was treated "conservatively" and there was no indication he was heading for a 2nd procedure. Obviously the 2nd sports hernia was as serious as the first. And if you know anyone that's dealt with it, it's pretty damn painful. Pretending it's no big deal is silly. The major concern around this kid was his injury history. Sticking our heads in the sand won't make things better.

Here's a snapshot of his injury history:

http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-conte...PATRICK-05.jpg

I'm not calling for mass hysteria, it's just more disappointing than anything. Instead of talking about his performance at developmental camp, we'll be talking about yet another procedure.

The kid is a serious talent, I just hope injuries don't define him more than his on ice production.

PS - Rev or anyone who knows how to embed the image please feel free to do so. Thanks!
            I'm not saying I'm not disappointed that he'll miss development camp. All I'm saying is that this shouldn't change the narrative around his injury-proneness because it's not a new injury. He's definitely got a history that could cause worry, but I don't feel like this story should change our opinion in one way or the other.

Comment

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=86181

Shortly before the NHL Draft, when the Flyers brought potential first-round pick Nolan Patrick in to meet with team doctors, Flyers general manager Ron Hextall said the organization now had more "clarity" about the exact nature of his physical issues from last season.

On Friday, one week after selecting Patrick with the second overall pick of the 2017 NHL Draft and a few weeks after Patrick said his medical condition had been originally misdiagnosed as a single sports hernia rather than hernias on both sides of his lower abdomen, the Flyers revealed that Patrick underwent sports hernia repair surgery on June 13. The procedure was performed by Dr. William Meyers.

Patrick will be sidelined four-to-six weeks. He will not participate in on-ice activities at the Flyers' upcoming Development Camp (July 7-12). However, according to Hextall, the timetable is of of a projected full rehab and clearance to play hockey -- not one to simply to begin skating.

The prospect plans to spend most of the summer in Philadelphia working out. He is not expected to miss training camp in September and the start of preseason games.

Speaking to reporters in a conference call, Hextall said that after finding out about the exact nature of Patrick's issues, he felt an increased comfort level in drafting the Brandon Wheat Kings star. While Hextall said he didn't want to point fingers by using the word misdiagnosis by the doctors in Brandon, he said that if the problem had been corrected last summer, Patrick likely would have been healthy this past season.

Hextall said that Patrick, even after his return to the Wheat Kings' lineup, was still having discomfort and showed some moxie by trying to play through it. Additionally, it was Patrick himself who took the initiative to have the surgery on June 13, because he didn't want to lose weeks of preparation time for next season. Had it been done at the Flyers' behest, the surgery probably would have happened about two weeks later.

The Flyers' GM would not bite on questions regarding whether he anticipates Patrick playing in the NHL next season. As is his norm, Hextall said his focus was on the big picture of doing what is best for Patrick over the next decade to 15 years and not on whether the soon-to-be 19-year-old center makes the Flyers roster right out of camp this year.

Comment

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/video/hex...426/c-52364303
                Phone call with Hexy on the Patrick surgery.
                "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

So Patrick skated on Monday for the first time...He was scheduled to skate yesterday again, which was postponed to today.

Then the Flyers released this:

Philadelphia FlyersþVerified account @NHLFlyers 4h4 hours ago

Per #Flyers GM Ron Hextall, Nolan Patrick will not skate today due to an infection in his face.

I don't know what he did in his past life, but man this guy can't catch a break...

Comment

An infection in his face probably means he had a big a$$ pimple and didn't want to be on the cover of a bunch of websites not looking pretty...

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post
                      An infection in his face probably means he had a big a$$ pimple and didn't want to be on the cover of a bunch of websites not looking pretty...
                      or pink eye

Comment

Working...
                      X