Would You?! (Be Unhappy if..)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You?! (Be Unhappy if..)

The next shoe to drop is Couturier going elsewhere in the quest for a goaltender?

The talk of Hextall wanting a major shake-up may be true...and the way to shake up the roster isn;t to move Simmonds (great cap number) or Giroux/Voracek (can;t really be done with movement controls)

It's with Schenn and Couturier...and I'm pretty sure i mentioned this early in the year...

The Flyers added Lehtera, and have Filp...and Giroux and Patrick...

Giroux - Filp - Patrick - Lehtera certainly doesn;t seem like a bad slate of centers...

...add in that Filp comes off the books at the end of the year...and Lehtera the year after...while Couturier has 5 years at 4.333m remaining and a penchant for not touching 40 points...

Hextall is saddled with Giroux and Voracek...but he can gain cap control with shrewd moves...

Schenn for 2 firsts and a potential 3rd...was shrewd...

Swapping 5.125m for 3 years...for 4.7m for two years was smart as well...

but for Lehtera to be a smart pickup...another shoe has to fall...

swapping Filps expiring 5m contract isn;t the smart play for future cap...moving Couturier's is...

Hextall is at a point where he can fully and truly put his mark on the franchise...it just might be painful to watch...

NO WAY.

I think Couturier is and should be a necessary component of the future. A stable veteran presence as the younger players come and take over.

If there's further shakeup needed, trade one of the expensive older guys.

If they're after a goalie, go get a stop gap or one of the available young backups. It should not cost Couts
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
      NO WAY.

I think Couturier is and should be a necessary component of the future. A stable veteran presence as the younger players come and take over.

If there's further shakeup needed, trade one of the expensive older guys.

If they're after a goalie, go get a stop gap or one of the available young backups. It should not cost Couts
      Doubtful Giroux or Voracek waive to be traded.

Simmonds is the one guy I wouldn't trade (that cap hit is a thing of beauty)

...aside from advanced stats that insist Couturier is this awesome force for good, what exactly, what tangibly, is so necessary about Couturier?

..as others have mentioned, his shutdown ability is as streaky as Schenn's offensive production...and his offensive development has been very not happening...

..if it was time to sell high on Schenn..it's time to sell high on Couturier as well...another season of sub 40 production..and he's only a rung or two above lehtera..

The Giroux-Voracek-Simmonds-Schenn-Couturier window has closed...you can;t move the first two, moving the third is outright cap suicide, four and five are the pieces to move..

the new window is Gost-Provorov-Patrick-Giroux-Jake....note I left Simmonds off..because I think he's moveable in his final year if he can;t be had at a good number to be part of the run...

A year or two from now..and Frost could be the new Coots...going by what folks have to say about his Hockey Smarts and Vision...
      Last edited by Rev_Bully; 06-23-2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Voracek doesn't have a NTC.

Comment

Originally posted by phillymac14 View Post
          Voracek doesn't have a NTC.
          Dunno why i thought he had a limited NTC...

tho if he keeps underproducing..that 8.25 is as good as an NMC...

Simmonds...has the modified NTC, 12 team no go list....

Comment

I wouldn't approve such a move.

Comment

probably feel like i did about Schenn being moved..indifferent

Comment

I'm kinda wondering...have any of you seen a win now move from Hextall?

It does kind of amuse me the way things have been built up around Couturier, you'd think he was Bergeron...

I like Coots, I like Schenn but neither of them is a vital piece of the machine at this point...

you all got so excited about the #2 and getting Nolan or Nico...but it changed the entire development approach...

If you have Giroux and patrick...and then stop gaps like Filp and lehtera...and kids like Laugthton and the ruskies...and now Frost...

where exactly is the spot or the need for Couturier? On some esotoeric level I get the infatuation...but for all the dazzling formulas and numbers that drive the thought process...this is what he is...

13, 4, 13, 15, 11, 14 goals...a total of 70 over 6 years (11.67 average)

27, 15, 39, 37, 39, 354 points...a total of 191 over 6 years (31.83 average)

I'm not trying to tell you guys it's a sure thing or an absolute or a must happen...but you guys really seem entrenched in how you want to view this roster..even when the numbers don;t line up (see Schenn and ESvPP),

Couturier's a nice player who is still getting by on potential 6 years later, you get to year 8 and he's still holding that 11.67 and 31.83 average...he's decreased in value significnatly..

IMO Hextall is looking long view while fans are thinking the cup run starts now....

Comment

IDK man. I'm not sure I'm following Hexy in all this. Bringing in guys like Flip and Lehtera make no sense to to me. Is he running a bank or a hockey team. Schenn and Couts should have been part of the solution and not the problem. Taking out young core guys and replacing them with washed up has beens is puzzling.

Hexy signed these guys in the last two years and now he's flipping them to do what? To hope his next batch of prospects will be better? What if Rubstov or Frost are not an upgrade. Does he keep flipping guys and constantly chasing some type of cap relief. At some point he needs a nucleus that he can stick with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
                    IDK man. I'm not sure I'm following Hexy in all this. Bringing in guys like Flip and Lehtera make no sense to to me. Is he running a bank or a hockey team. Schenn and Couts should have been part of the solution and not the problem. Taking out young core guys and replacing them with washed up has beens is puzzling.

Hexy signed these guys in the last two years and now he's flipping them to do what? To hope his next batch of prospects will be better? What if Rubstov or Frost are not an upgrade. Does he keep flipping guys and constantly chasing some type of cap relief. At some point he needs a nucleus that he can stick with.
                    Sadly a big part of hockey has become like banking...

and should we be surprised at signing guys long term only to move them, we did that with Richards and Carter too...problem there was we had no foundation in place to maximize those returns.
                    Schenn/Coots CAP 9.458 9.458 9.458 4.333 4.333
                    Schenn 5.125 5.125 5.125
                    Couturier 4.333 4.333 4.333 4.333 4.333
                    Lehtera 4.7 4.7
                    Filppula 5.000
                    Has Beens CAP 9.7 4.7 0 0 0
                    By year 3, we're potentially in a new cup/playoff window with Patrick and Giroux (32)...along with a homegrown blueline..Gostisbehere, Provorov, Morin, Sanheim, Hagg..you know..
                    and depth at forward that includes Simmonds (31), Voracek (30), Konecny, Lindblom, Weal, Laughton, Leier, Aubel-Kubel, Rubstov, Vorbyov, Frost (?) ...blah, blah, blah

Interestingly...you swap Schenn/Couturier for Lehtera/Filpula and you clear 9.458m just in time for Simmonds, Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim to get new deals...

Curious situations indeed

Comment

Working...
                    X