What is Hexy doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Hexy doing?

As fans, we all can be armchair GMs at one point or another and although we often get emotional over trades and draft picks as we try to understand what Hexy is doing.

I decided to do some research on Hexy's last few transactions to see if there is a common thread that will help us better understand his plan and I believe I have found at least part of it.

Looking a little closer at the 5 players below, it is clear to me that Hexy realizes the Hockey IQ/intelligence level on this team is less than he/Hakstol want it to be and he's making the necessary adjustments. I think we can all agree this attribute has been lacking with this team over the past few seasons.

I, for one, really like the profile of the skilled and intelligent player Hexy is looking to add to the mix and I believe very exciting times are ahead for the Flyers franchise!

Rubtsov: "Rubtsov is a highly-intelligent two-way center and is probably one of the players with the highest Hockey IQ of the entire draft."

Filppula: "A good two-way forward with an excellent understanding of the game."

Patrick: "He has high end hockey IQ and always seems to make the right play both with and without the puck. Patrick has excellent vision and passing skills."

Lehtera: "Hes a smart player who knows how to play the game. Hes a guy that every coach that puts him out on the ice trusts," Hitchcock said. "He (Lehtera) knows how to do all the little things offensively and defensively to help you win hockey games."

Frost: "The thing that stands out about Frost on tape and in person is how smart he is."
    Last edited by behn3; 06-24-2017, 09:58 AM.

I would say he's looking to up the "compete level" at the very least. Also trying to clear cap where he can, there's work to be done.......

Comment

Originally posted by FLexible FLyer View Post
      I would say he's looking to up the "compete level" at the very least. Also trying to clear cap where he can, there's work to be done.......
      Not sold on upping the compete leve....not with Lehtera..that was a cap swapp to make the Schenn for 2 firsts work...

218 games, 30 goals, 100 points...and this with getting time with Tarasenko and Schwartz...

Folks complain about the PEBs and VVs...we just picked one up with a pricetag near 5m...that's the "beautuy" of the cap (and why I push to move players like MacD and truly manage it)..

Patrick ups the compete and is a legit leader from all the talk...

Beyond that an Giroux's NMC...I'm curious to see who's left down the middle in 2018-19...

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

Not sold on upping the compete leve....not with Lehtera..that was a cap swapp to make the Schenn for 2 firsts work...

218 games, 30 goals, 100 points...and this with getting time with Tarasenko and Schwartz...

Folks complain about the PEBs and VVs...we just picked one up with a pricetag near 5m...that's the "beautuy" of the cap (and why I push to move players like MacD and truly manage it)..

Patrick ups the compete and is a legit leader from all the talk...

Beyond that an Giroux's NMC...I'm curious to see who's left down the middle in 2018-19...
        I was speaking in totalities, and since you seem to agree in spots........ () I know nothing about Lehtera Ant. Presumed him to be a throw in to balance the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by behn3 View Post
          As fans, we all can be armchair GMs at one point or another and although we often get emotional over trades and draft picks as we try to understand what Hexy is doing.

I decided to do some research on Hexy's last few transactions to see if there is a common thread that will help us better understand his plan and I believe I have found at least part of it.

Looking a little closer at the 5 players below, it is clear to me that Hexy realizes the Hockey IQ/intelligence level on this team is less than he/Hakstol want it to be and he's making the necessary adjustments. I think we can all agree this attribute has been lacking with this team over the past few seasons.

I, for one, really like the profile of the skilled and intelligent player Hexy is looking to add to the mix and I believe very exciting times are ahead for the Flyers franchise!

Rubtsov: "Rubtsov is a highly-intelligent two-way center and is probably one of the players with the highest Hockey IQ of the entire draft."

Filppula: "A good two-way forward with an excellent understanding of the game."

Patrick: "He has high end hockey IQ and always seems to make the right play both with and without the puck. Patrick has excellent vision and passing skills."

Lehtera: "Hes a smart player who knows how to play the game. Hes a guy that every coach that puts him out on the ice trusts," Hitchcock said. "He (Lehtera) knows how to do all the little things offensively and defensively to help you win hockey games."

Frost: "The thing that stands out about Frost on tape and in person is how smart he is."
          interesting aspect. Would not have have linked that all together like you did. (not cause I doubt your theory; but I'm to lazy to dig into stuff like that)

It'll be even more interesting to see if "hockey IQ" is the ingredient we need to get ourselves to the next level. If your theory holds true, we should be competing for the cup before the decade is out.
          "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Does he look ill to anyone else? Or maybe it was just that god awful suit
            Last edited by CLJ; 06-24-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I agree that that seems to be a common trait with the new acquisitions.

I think IQ is an important quality to have but it has to be coupled with good passing and good skating.

After all, it's all good to know what to do with the puck, but that's only part the game: team speed helps the defense and good passing helps the offense. It seems that the recent acquisitions have those traits too.

Comment

or 'hockey IQ' is just a generic term he applies to every player he acquires

id rather throw some later round picks at players with one dominant projectable skill and hope they round out the rest of his game.

Comment

Can't Hexy just buy a box of Rick Perry glasses for the players he already has?
                  ShavedChimpanzee Podcast

5,000 listeners and growing

Comment

Working...
                  X