Rumours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumours

"McKenzie reports Montreal Canadiens center Alex Galcheyuk is still out there. A “juicy rumor” linked Galchenyuk to Philadelphia Flyers center Claude Giroux, but he called it “just a rumor”. While Flyers GM Ron Hextall is willing to listen to offers for his players there’s no indication Giroux is available.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I still expect the Canadiens will move Galchenyuk for a top-four defenseman, but they could also try to use him to add a proven scoring center. Giroux had a no-movement clause and could nix any attempt to move him. His high cap hit ($8.25 million annually) and the steady erosion in his production screams “buyer beware.” "

https://spectorshockey.net/2017/06/s...-june-25-2017/

We really should look at moving Giroux right now, Montreal seems to be in a bit of a win now mode and G would look great with Drouin. That would be a trade that would help our future for sure.
    Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Well MTL seems to have cap space, but if you ask G to waive the NMC, what does that do if he says no? What is his compensation for waiving? What else do.we get back?

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
      Well MTL seems to have cap space, but if you ask G to waive the NMC, what does that do if he says no? What is his compensation for waiving? What else do.we get back?
      Galchenyuk is not enough and Montreal has one of the worst prospect groups in the league. I think that's a pretty tough fit for a trade.
      "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Yeah I know but they do have upcoming picks as well, now sure what they would have to offer up beyond that.
        Pieces are in place for the future. We still need a top pairing defenseman and a scoring winger. Doesn't look like we are going to get anything from Free Agency or a trade due to our cap limitations. Development years ahead.

Comment

Do we know what next year's draft class is going to be like? I don't think it would happen, but if 2018 looks to be solid I'd understand if we could get MTL's 1st round pick. We'd have our own, likely STL's, and then theirs.

If it's not fantastic, then I probably wouldn't even consider asking G about his NMC,
          "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Next year's draft class is expected to have a top level talent or two at the top (sorry, neither Nico or Nolan were that guy this year...but they are very good talents

it's considered a deep draft...that said..a lot of people bristled at the talk that this years draft was weak/shallow....it lacked a top end star (or two) but a lot of pundits felt it was a good draft...

Comment

I have zero interest in trading Giroux...

at his worst he's a better Couturier than Couturier for the rest of his contract...

I would look at moving Jake or Coots...Simmonds if a fair deal can;t be reached down the line..

Comment

Giroux is the type of player, barring injury, that can play and be incredibly useful for years ... like into his late 30s, maybe even 40 yrs old. He's smart offensively and defensively, quick (doesn't seem like he's the type of skater that would get much slower with age), and seems to know his role (mature). I'm not advocating keeping him regardless of the deal, but unless it's a true, 10 year upgrade (a 23 yr old budding superstar..which aint gonna happen) I'd keep him to mentor Patrick and TK, and the other kids coming up. Let them see him off ice work outs, his on ice play, his advice and tip/tricks, ect. That's what Cup teams need on their 2nd/3rd lines when the kids start shouldering the load.

I agree, Rev, that I'd look to move Jake soon (very soon) .. not so much Simmer as he brings an element that we REALLY don't have in the pipeline.
                Last edited by Hattrix; 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM.
                "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

I'm hoping Giroux can be to our team what Yzerman was to the Red Wings when they made their Cup runs. Remember, they weren't contenders during Yzerman's "prime" years...I believe he was over 30 when they really got going.
                  Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Mike, I was going to use Yzerman as an example, but forgot. I'm 100% on board with that exactly.
                    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Working...
                    X