No announcement yet.

Rumours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When these kids start coming up you need leadership to show them the ropes not just in the regular season but in the play-offs as well. Out of Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds, Voracek is really the only one I would look to move in the near future. I want Giroux and Simmonds as the leaders in the room for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
      Mike, I was going to use Yzerman as an example, but forgot. I'm 100% on board with that exactly.
      Excellent comparison. I remember seeing Yzerman in a pre-season game in Toronto maybe in 1999 or 2000. He looked slow and "spent'. My first mistake was that it was a preseason game. My second mistake was that his knowledge of the game and the impact he had on his teammates more than compensated for his somewhat diminished speed. I think many of us have been a bit frustrated by Giroux's play, at times, the last year or two. There are times near season's end when he looks worn down. Those could be injuries. But one thing I think he still has, along with Simmer, is the respect of his teammates and I think he still has the fire and leadership abilities. The Red Wings won three cups with Yzerman as Captain. He won the Conn Smythe one year, but everyone on their team knew who the leader was. I'm hoping Giroux could be that guy.

Comment

Its a good comparison, but Giroux isn't the leader that Yzerman was.
        Maybe he'll grow into that type of role.

Comment

Originally posted by hellfish21 View Post
          With 650 games under his belt and approaching 30 years of age, I think we have seen what we're going to get with Giroux and his leadership. I'm not sure there's any "growing into the role" at this point that we haven't already seen. From my perspective, he's been a decent Flyers captain...certainly not the best we've seen, but clearly not the worst either.

If he were to be dealt in a package that yielded a strong return, I would be completely ok with that!

Comment

Originally posted by hellfish21 View Post
            True leaders aren't grown, they are created as such. You either are, or are not.

a true leader can enhance their traits with experience. Others can gain skill sets but not have the nature to be a top leader. I see leaders with a fire behind the eyes and the head always up. I have too often seen G with eyes down doing a shuffle. Just a personal observation.

Comment

I've often thought the same thing about the yzerman comparison.

However, Giroux's personality is not the type-A get-in-your-face type. I think Yzerman had more command of the room. But G has definitely grown into the captaincy imo. He's way more assertive now that he was.

Giroux wont score 80 again but he's going to be atleast a top pplay qb for another 5 years atleast. Adam oates? If he's getting #1 pp time every year he'll be atleast at around 60 pts for the rest of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post
                I'm hoping Giroux can be to our team what Yzerman was to the Red Wings when they made their Cup runs. Remember, they weren't contenders during Yzerman's "prime" years...I believe he was over 30 when they really got going.
                I have always wanted to use Yzerman as an example of how G could be used eventually getting older... However, being that there was no cap back then, there will be people who will not agree keeping G around that long. I am for it though.
                Philadelphia Flyers #1
                Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
                The rest of the 28 teams can KMA!

Comment

Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek should all be looking for new homes. Trade Simmonds now, while you can get a kings ransom for him.

Comment

Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds won't be going anywhere this year. Chances of any trade should increase following this season, but I'm assuming if all three have big seasons, people like Power Forward will have all three as "untouchables".

Comment

couple of guys now seem to be the odd men out...specifically VV and Raffl....VV can be released...but what about Raffl? what do we do with him?

Comment

Working...
                      X