No announcement yet.

2017-18 Projected Line Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't taking Lehtera back in the pursuit of 2 picks and what 400k in cap space only go to show how expensive moving Lehtera's 4.7m or MacD's 5m will be?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik

I give him a pass on Filp. He's a UFA after this year, so he'll be off the books. Also, our window to "win it all" is still 2-4 years away. Lehtera will be gone in 2, Read after this year. My biggest frustration with Hexy so far has been the Weise deal. Maybe he'll play a full a season the way he finished this past one out; but at this point in the game, we've grossly overpaid on him.
      I agree with you about Weiss. It was a bad decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
        Doesn't taking Lehtera back in the pursuit of 2 picks and what 400k in cap space only go to show how expensive moving Lehtera's 4.7m or MacD's 5m will be?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
        Yes, today. We'll have to see how Lehtera plays, but if he plays like a decent 3rd liner I can see him traded with substantial retainage after this year. I still think MacD more likely than not gets bought out after this year, I don't see anyone taking him on even with a sizable retainage.
        "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

Yes, today. We'll have to see how Lehtera plays, but if he plays like a decent 3rd liner I can see him traded with substantial retainage after this year. I still think MacD more likely than not gets bought out after this year, I don't see anyone taking him on even with a sizable retainage.
          I think we buy out MacDonald at the end of 18-19. It will reduce the subsequent cap hit for the buyout and that is also the year that we need to re-up both Konecny and Provorov (and resign Simmonds if we want to keep him). There are no UFA's or RFA's of consequence at the end of 17-18, so other than roster space and his horrible suck-itude, we don't have a compelling reason to lose him a year earlier. It would be amazing to have his cap space and never see his play again, but I expect we're in for two more years of Andy.

Comment

I'm going with a mix of youth, but not together:

FIRST Sign:
            Jordan Weal 1,300,000 2
            Karl Alzner 5,750,000 4
            Niemi/Mason 2,750,000 3
            Although I wont overpay for Weal, hes probably the best offensive 4th line center and could play up and down lineup, but so could Fillipula or Lehtera. Vech might be a good shout here. Niemi or Mason is just in case Hextall/Haskol aren't sold on Neuvirth/Stolarz.
            LINDBLOM GIROUX SIMMONDS LINE 1: Simmonds adds size and scoring, Lindblom is an all arounder, Giroux has goal scorers around him
            FILLIPULA PATRICK VORACEK LINE 2: Patrick with two solid vets, voracek creates, patrick and fillipula both provide scoring
            LEHTERA COUTURIER KONECKNY LINE 3: Couts where he belongs, lehtera is a nice creator, all-arounder with 80 pts his first two seasons (only 22 last yr), koneckny brings speed and creativity
            WEISE WEAL READ LINE 4: Solid two way play with Read and Weise, some muscle, some offensive upside
            RAFFL LAUGHTON ? Raffl is thirteenth
            GOTISBEHERE GUDAS puck mover-and a stay at home
            ALZNER PROVOROV alzener at 5.75 for 4 yrs, solid pairing, both can ppuck rush, both positionally strong
            SANHEIM MANNING Manning provides stay at home veteran presence, Sanheim gets the edge over Hagg and Morin
            MACDONALD Morin or Hagg first call up
            NEUVIRTH could bring in a veteran goalie like a Steve Mason or Kari Lehtonen for short terms
            STOLARZ
            Overall I'd rather have another Simmonds and have one on the first line and one on the second line, as overall I think we lack size and grit. Maybe Morin over Sanheim, maybe Laughton over Weal, but Allison/Radcliffe cant come soon enough. Alzner is really just the best veteran available and fits the bill better than Shattenkirk (who will be 1.5mil more probably). Hes an attractive UFA who is still young and can provide some steady play while provo, gotisbehere and then sanheim/morin/hagg/myers learn the ropes. His skill set is similar to Provo in that both play steady, but not flashy games. While 5.5-5.75 seems a lot, again you'd be buying a 28 yr old who has become steady. (Washington has too many other financial worries and Carlsson is up next yr.)

In the future we have a well rounded system and I would expect the following prospects in the next 2-3 yrs to add to the youth above:
            FROST F
            RADCLIFFE F
            ALLISON F
            RUBTSOV F
            MORIN D
            MYERS D
            HAGG D
            HART G
            SANDSTROM G
            Theres other prospects who look good, (Bunnamon, Strome, Laberge) but these look the most stable as contributors.

Overall I like the fact we can walk away or deal Lehtera, Fillipula, Read, Raffl etc... as they are presently just serving to help the youth develop without being overwhelmed. Hextall has shown that hockey IQ, intelligence is important.
            Last edited by Hammerwise; 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Alzner is not the answer. He' was protected on a very good Washington D-corp, so he never had to play out of his comfort zone. If you want to see the next AMac contract, it's going to come this summer when some team gives Alzner 5.5+ for 5 years or more. (not saying he's worse than Amac, just that he's never going to live up to the hype, and within 2 years will bog down someones cap space).

Also you have Lehtonen listed next to Mason. I assume you meant Niemi? Lehtonen is still on the Stars this year at 5.9 mill. Niemi was the buyout.
              "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
                Originally posted by Elab2 View Post
                Yes, today. We'll have to see how Lehtera plays, but if he plays like a decent 3rd liner I can see him traded with substantial retainage after this year
                yes and yes. Moving MacDonald is not going to get us anything back in return. It's going to cost us to get some team with space to take him. And I'm sure Hexy is not willing to pony up 2 1st round picks for him.

I'm hopeful Lehtera has a bit of a renaissance season. Even if it's not back to his rookie year numbers; if he trends up, then it does at least become a tradeable contract rather than a salary-dump if he fails.
                "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
                  Alzner is not the answer. He' was protected on a very good Washington D-corp, so he never had to play out of his comfort zone. If you want to see the next AMac contract, it's going to come this summer when some team gives Alzner 5.5+ for 5 years or more. (not saying he's worse than Amac, just that he's never going to live up to the hype, and within 2 years will bog down someones cap space).

Also you have Lehtonen listed next to Mason. I assume you meant Niemi? Lehtonen is still on the Stars this year at 5.9 mill. Niemi was the buyout.
                  You're right I meant Niemi, who wouldn't cost as much. Just looking at a veteran goalie who isn't too expensive in case neuvirth/stolarz don't look great.

As far as Alzner, hes a UFA on a capped team with Orlov up for contract too, with Shattenkirk probably leaving and carlsson's contract is up next year. Hes 28, so hes not just a rental and can stay while the youth movement brings up morin/hagg/myers/sanheim and they get a year or two experience. His game isn't the 40pt or the clear the crease type but like Provo hes a good all around vet to have THROUGH the process who can play top 4 minutes and I don't see any others like him free at the moment.

I don't want to see manning, macdonald or the rookie playing top 4 minutes, so a top 4 of gotisbehere-gudas-provo-alzner sounds good. To me that is the key, is getting a solid vet to play top 4 minutes who isn't on a one-two year contract. We have 12 mil free and there aren't many good UFAs out there who will fill a real hole, alzner is one.

While 5.5-6mil sounds a lot I don't think it handcuffs us as we have quite a lot of bad money coming off in the next two years in macdonald, read, raffl, fillupula and lehtera
                  Last edited by Hammerwise; 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post

I don't want to see manning, macdonald or the rookie playing top 4 minutes, so a top 4 of gotisbehere-gudas-provo-alzner sounds good. To me that is the key, is getting a solid vet to play top 4 minutes who isn't on a one-two year contract. We have 12 mil free and there aren't many good UFAs out there who will fill a real hole, alzner is one.
                    MacDonald will be getting top minutes paired with Provorov again. I have exited the denial stage and come to terms with it. He will absolutely be getting top 4 minutes. It's pretty reasonable to expect the pairs to look like this:

Provorov - MacD
                    Gudas - Hagg
                    Ghost - Morin
                    Manning

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
                    While 5.5-6mil sounds a lot I don't think it handcuffs us as we have quite a lot of bad money coming off in the next two years in macdonald, read, raffl, fillupula and lehtera
                    We've got 3 years left of Mac, not 2.
                    Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                    Official Facebook
                    Official Twitter

Comment

Been awhile...

The way I see it:

The top line has an opening that could be filled by FA Williams or Vecchione / Rubtsov etc. The rest of the roster is pretty solid with Patrick/Lindblom playing on the third line giving Them a shot at a weaker defense pairing. Where I see the biggest changes is in defense, Morin will be on the Flyers and pairing him up with Provorov makes the most sense. Ghost and Gudas another pairing that makes sense and a wishful pairing of Sanheim and Hagg, as I believe that Hagg is another one who will make the opening day roster over MacDonald.

------- - Giroux - Voracek

Flipula - Couturier - Simmonds

Lindblom - Patrick - Koneckny

Raffl - Lehtera - Weise

Laughton/Read

Provorov - Morin
                      Ghost - Gudas
                      Sanheim - Hagg

MacDonald
                      Manning/Myers

Comment

Working...