The Cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cap

I wanted to start a thread for cap discussion...separate from other threads, so as not to hijack those discussions..

The Flyers cap as currently situated...is OK..for this season..are we in Cap Hell? Nah.

Are we good? Nope.

Add to it that we are headed into a 3 year span where cap hits are likely to rise for the club, and the NHLPA is less and less likely to hit the artificial inflator and well, OK is as good as it gets.

Currently the Flyers have about 12m in cap space...

They need a Goalie...what kind of goalie...well that's the question...and they can be pricey...Mason would eat up about a third of that cap...

They have 10 forwards from last year signed..and 5 Dmen...

So if you chalk up 4m to a goalie that leaves you 8mil to get 5 more players upped..

That gives you about 1.6m per signing..also very doable...but you see how we're quickly going from Ok to "hey where'd all that room go?!"

So we pencil in Morin and Lindblom..that's a combined 1.788...so that's nice...

...give us about 2.070 per for the remaining 3...

Penciling in Nolan Patrick? Once you account for bonuses his cap hit will likey hit that 2.07 number...

The Flyers, will be OK..but things will remain tight and injurues could wreak havoc on what is likely to be a small amt of cushion from the ceiling headed into the season.

Beyond this season it gets hairy, and I'll talk about that later....

What remains to be said is that you can;t have a "good cap situation" with Lehtera hitting at 4.7, MacDonald at 5, Weise at 2.35 and arguably Raffl as well...that Read and Filppula expire at the end of the season is a saving grace...it's OK, but it's not "Good"

honestly..Hexy needs to find a taker, though i imagine impossible for Lehtera..and seriously look at moving Jake..no one is taking Farmer sadly...though i do not think anyone will take Lehtera either ..thankfully..like you said Read and Flip come off end of the year

Comment

At least with Filppula and Read expiring next summer that is 8.625 mil of space that should be able to replaced internally with 2 young players stepping up. The only other UFA/RFA with the team as is for next summer is Manning. He can either be kept at a similar number as a 6/7 guy or replaced at a similar number.

Morin and Hagg will both be RFA, so unless one of them has an insane rookie season, they should be easy to keep cost-controlled.

2019 summer will be more interesting, but if Lehtera and Raffl will both be leaving the team and replaced internally that frees up another 7.05 mil of cap space, leaving a potential top 9 group that could look something like this depending on how players develop:

Giroux
      Voracek
      Simmonds (UFA) / Replacement
      Patrick
      Couturier
      Konecny
      Lindblom
      Laughton / Weal? / Rubtsov
      Weise / Vorobyov / Laberge / Frost / ?

Depending on how Giroux and Voracek play the next few years, the cap could end up looking quite good with a group like that.
      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
      Official Facebook
      Official Twitter

Comment

With the potential for rookie bonus overages, it can affect next year's available number. If the new (rookie) defensemen are half as good as people suggest, could they run into issues with them and Patrick?

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
          honestly..Hexy needs to find a taker, though i imagine impossible for Lehtera..and seriously look at moving Jake..no one is taking Farmer sadly...though i do not think anyone will take Lehtera either ..thankfully..like you said Read and Flip come off end of the year
          This may be well-wishing but, hasn't Lehtera just hired a skating coach?
          imagine him regaining some of that form. Could he be more appealing at the trade deadline or next offseason knowing there is only one more year left on his contract. That is, might another team use him as Hextall is using Filpula this year?
          just a passing thought.

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post

This may be well-wishing but, hasn't Lehtera just hired a skating coach?
            imagine him regaining some of that form. Could he be more appealing at the trade deadline or next offseason knowing there is only one more year left on his contract. That is, might another team use him as Hextall is using Filpula this year?
            just a passing thought.
            I didn't like the deals necessarily, but Fillipula is a nice vet to have, I'd like to see him play on Patrick's wing, with his expiring deal, it gives Patrick a good vet who can produce to learn from.

As far as Lehtera, I know hes 28 yrs old, but he did have 80pts in his first two seasons (150 games), and he plays a well rounded game. His injuries last year and moving through the lineup dropped his production to 22pts in 64 games, but I happen to believe hes a solid two way player who can help our third line to produce more.

Lehtera on the wing with Couts and either Lindblom/Koneckny/Read would be a solid two way line and I'd expect 30-40pts from each of those guys which is solid.

Lehtera wasn't just a salary dump, hes a solid player, but like Hextalls mantra: hes a smart player. He can also play up and down the lineup if theres injuries.

Comment

He played with Tarasenko when he was racking up points...and without him his numbers crater..

He's a more expensive Raffl in some sense

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

The cap is a mute point right now as
                A) They are several seasons from competing
                B) UFA classes aren't what they are use to be

Comment

The Cap is never a moot point, it controls every move. It hurts that you cannot get full relief now by sending players to the ahl, but there is money to save by moving read raffl and lethera down if they really want to do so. Not sure if contracts would allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by swami24
                    The Cap is never a moot point, it controls every move. It hurts that you cannot get full relief now by sending players to the ahl, but there is money to save by moving read raffl and lethera down if they really want to do so. Not sure if contracts would allow that.
                    I don't believe any of them have NMCs

..and yes folks need to constantly be aware of the cap...the teams that best figures out how to manage it will ultimately control things..

Edmonton is about to set a new tone when it comes to the Cap..and it will have a big effect...when middle of the pack Dmen are signing 4 and 4 mil deals..you have to start looking at guys like Provorov and thinking 6,7,8..

If Patrick can be the guy many expect you're looking at 8 to 10 in a few short years

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X