X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev_Bully
    started a topic The Cap

The Cap

I wanted to start a thread for cap discussion...separate from other threads, so as not to hijack those discussions..

The Flyers cap as currently situated...is OK..for this season..are we in Cap Hell? Nah.

Are we good? Nope.

Add to it that we are headed into a 3 year span where cap hits are likely to rise for the club, and the NHLPA is less and less likely to hit the artificial inflator and well, OK is as good as it gets.

Currently the Flyers have about 12m in cap space...

They need a Goalie...what kind of goalie...well that's the question...and they can be pricey...Mason would eat up about a third of that cap...

They have 10 forwards from last year signed..and 5 Dmen...

So if you chalk up 4m to a goalie that leaves you 8mil to get 5 more players upped..

That gives you about 1.6m per signing..also very doable...but you see how we're quickly going from Ok to "hey where'd all that room go?!"

So we pencil in Morin and Lindblom..that's a combined 1.788...so that's nice...

...give us about 2.070 per for the remaining 3...

Penciling in Nolan Patrick? Once you account for bonuses his cap hit will likey hit that 2.07 number...

The Flyers, will be OK..but things will remain tight and injurues could wreak havoc on what is likely to be a small amt of cushion from the ceiling headed into the season.

Beyond this season it gets hairy, and I'll talk about that later....

What remains to be said is that you can;t have a "good cap situation" with Lehtera hitting at 4.7, MacDonald at 5, Weise at 2.35 and arguably Raffl as well...that Read and Filppula expire at the end of the season is a saving grace...it's OK, but it's not "Good"

• swami24
    replied
    Like I said, a devious and off the charts thought. Tell the player he will sent to the AHL if he stays. Offer a cash deal to the KHL team to take the player. Pay the salary and a bonus. Player has to decide between busses or a chance to play in a better league. Read is married with a young kid, so that would be a tough sell. Lehtera and Raffl are single, or at least I didn't see a family reference on searching.
    Last edited by swami24; 07-05-2017, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hattrix
    replied
    Originally posted by swami24 View Post
    So could they dump Read on a KHL team, and get Cap releif?
    LOL nice!!

Leave a comment:

• ELab2
    replied
    I think this happened with Sobotka. There was an arbitration award (though I don't think he signed the contract), then he left, and the came back late in the last season of his contract and played a few games. The arbitration contract term ran, he didn't get paid, and I DON'T think it counted against the cap.

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    So could they dump Read on a KHL team, and get Cap releif?

Leave a comment:

• Hammerwise
    replied
    They keep his rights if he wants to play in the NHL again, but it doesn;t count as a contract, so he doesn;t take a spot in the 50-52 (?) contract limit. Like Kovalchuk who is still NJ Devil property.

Leave a comment:

• M13
    replied
    Originally posted by swami24 View Post
    Just curious, because I do not know the rules details. What happens if a contracted player decides to walk away from the contract to play in the KHL? His deal is with the NHL, can they even do that? Would the cap.hit go away? I assume they cannot do this, but that would be a heck of way to pay a KHL team to take a player off of a teams cap hit. Player would obviously have to agree. Just being devious here.
    i believe, at least in Lyub's case..since the Flyers qualified him..they retain his rights..i could be wrong

Leave a comment:

• swami24
    replied
    Just curious, because I do not know the rules details. What happens if a contracted player decides to walk away from the contract to play in the KHL? His deal is with the NHL, can they even do that? Would the cap.hit go away? I assume they cannot do this, but that would be a heck of way to pay a KHL team to take a player off of a teams cap hit. Player would obviously have to agree. Just being devious here.

Leave a comment:

• toothless joe
    replied
    Looks like lyubimov is going back to Russia. One less signing.

Leave a comment:

• M13
    replied
    I still say Hexy needs to find a new home for onw of our 8 million dollar guys

Leave a comment:

Working...
X