McDavid re-signs with Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarkie offer sheeted Kessler, not Homer
    "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post
      Clarkie offer sheeted Kessler, not Homer
      Youre right, still a smart move in hindsight

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
        Homers offer sheet to Kesler in hindsight was a great movbe, considering the player he turned into.

I guess this means that Giroux and even Voracek aren;t as overpaid as we think. ESPN thinks that Drasaitl will get Tarasenko money, so that's 7.5-8.5mil a year, so almost 22mil LONG TERM on two players on a pretty young team, that's suicidal.

I'd rather have Giroux, voracek and Simmonds and some spare change. Its not just the production, its the over reliance on two players who could get injured at any point. Also the most important factor is the length of those deals, that's a ton of money tied up long term, their current RFAs and future UFA/RFAs are screwed there.
        I'd rather have the young talented player over the captain who has been regressing the past 4 seasons. Get Draisaitl and trade Giroux someone who would take the cap hit going forward.

Comment

I heard $9m for Draisatl. And I'm still 100% against that kind of money for that guy. He's not even come close to earning that kind of contract. We're talking about a guy who they were pretty down on for a while and then he played with McDavid and lit it up and now he's going to get a massive deal. Sorry, but I don't want any part of that contract.

Comment

The problem with waiting until a guy has "earned" that kind of money is by that time, the opportunity is long gone. Has mcDavid "earned" 13.25 a season? Of course not. But they are obviously counting on him earning it over the next 9 years. It's no different than any time you sign a guy long term. You commit to it and THEN he has to go earn it.

I get that it would be easier to see what Leon does over the next 2 or 3 years and then decide if you want to offer sheet him... unfortunately it will be way too late by then. Maybe we'll look back and say "thank God we didn't offer sheet him" (like the oilers offer sheet to vanek)... or maybe we'll say "damn... wish we took a run at that guy". Either way, the fact that he hasn't "earned it" yet is absolutely meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by salzy View Post
              The problem with waiting until a guy has "earned" that kind of money is by that time, the opportunity is long gone. Has mcDavid "earned" 13.25 a season? Of course not. But they are obviously counting on him earning it over the next 9 years. It's no different than any time you sign a guy long term. You commit to it and THEN he has to go earn it.

I get that it would be easier to see what Leon does over the next 2 or 3 years and then decide if you want to offer sheet him... unfortunately it will be way too late by then. Maybe we'll look back and say "thank God we didn't offer sheet him" (like the oilers offer sheet to vanek)... or maybe we'll say "damn... wish we took a run at that guy". Either way, the fact that he hasn't "earned it" yet is absolutely meaningless.
              He may not have earned quite that much, but at 20 he's arguably the best player in the NHL, so I think he's come prettttty damn close to earning a Crosby like deal (if I were Edmonton I would have really buckled in on that number)
              "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

The issue with the rumored $13.25M deal is the bump from the current most expensive contract ($10.5M). That is an ENORMOUS gap....while the NHLPA will be ecstatic with this, i'd guess team success is not a priority for McDavid (I look at how Crosby signed his deal knowing that he left millions on the table...strategically to allow the frikin Pens to compete every year).

This McDavid contract is setting things up nicely for Carey Price. While i don't see him coming close to McDavid's $13.25M, i do expect double-digits per year, which once again the NHLPA will be happy with. Push that bar up.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                  The issue with the rumored $13.25M deal is the bump from the current most expensive contract ($10.5M). That is an ENORMOUS gap....while the NHLPA will be ecstatic with this, i'd guess team success is not a priority for McDavid (I look at how Crosby signed his deal knowing that he left millions on the table...strategically to allow the frikin Pens to compete every year).

This McDavid contract is setting things up nicely for Carey Price. While i don't see him coming close to McDavid's $13.25M, i do expect double-digits per year, which once again the NHLPA will be happy with. Push that bar up.
                  I'm not sure the nhlpa would be thrilled about it. The players are getting 50% of revenue no matter what (or 51 or 53 or whatever they ended up settling on). The more these superstars at the top end soak up, the less that remains for the rest of the rank and file. All their votes count the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X