I'll Weal-ly Miss You (No, I won't)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll Weal-ly Miss You (No, I won't)

The Weal thing is getting crazy out there...

So let's look at Jordan Weal and his stunning run from February to April...Weal took the ice February 11, 2017 for Philadelphia...the Flyers played 27 games form that point, Weal appeared in 23.

Weal produced 8 goals and 12 points in those 23 games...

...interestingly, it's not Weal who leads the Flyers in P/60 in that span....

Nope..it's the much maligned Dale Weiss...who posted a 2.51 P/60 in 19 games during that span

..and then it's the frequently maligned duo of Schenn with a 2.39 and Couturier with a 2.28

...skipping over Colin McDonald's 2.22 (he only played 3 games)...

...you get to Weal...and his 2.19

And what of Taylor Leier, he's a few years younger, similarly built and in 10 games this season posted a 1.32 P/60

if you're wondering, Jordan Weal played 10 games last season for the kings and posted a 0.00 P/60

Just putting that out there...

The title made me laugh...seriously...lol

I'm not going to spend much time debating this guy because who really knows if this cat will ever amount to anything?

But....what I do think separates Weal from the others is that he's always been a consistent scorer, as recently as 2 years ago he won AHL playoff MVP, his age (25) would allow him to grow with this team, and the fact that at least 12 teams have requested to meet with him makes me think if there's something more to this kids game. I also find it somewhat interesting that every former teammate swears by the kid, and all seem to say he just needs a chance to prove his stuff.

The other guys you mentioned would clear waivers tomorrow

I think Weal will be a very interesting study over the next 24 months. I'm very curious to see the type of contract he receives vs his production. I honestly didn't care about him when he was acquired, but I'll admit he impressed me down the stretch with his gritty play and good nose for the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
      The title made me laugh...seriously...lol

I'm not going to spend much time debating this guy because who really knows if this cat will ever amount to anything?

But....what I do think separates Weal from the others is that he's always been a consistent scorer, as recently as 2 years ago he won AHL playoff MVP, his age (25) would allow him to grow with this team, and the fact that at least 12 teams have requested to meet with him makes me think if there's something more to this kids game. I also find it somewhat interesting that every former teammate swears by the kid, and all seem to say he just needs a chance to prove his stuff.

The other guys you mentioned would clear waivers tomorrow

I think Weal will be a very interesting study over the next 24 months. I'm very curious to see the type of contract he receives vs his production. I honestly didn't care about him when he was acquired, but I'll admit he impressed me down the stretch with his gritty play and good nose for the net.
      Oh I'm cool with giving him the chance...so long as it comes in under 2m a season for no more than 3 years...

That said..I think Leier has a good chance of being the next Weal...

Mostly I just get tired of reaidn people hyperventilate on twitter about how Weal was going to replace Schenn's production and now we're doomed...

Comment

The difference between Weal and Weise is that with Weal you get to wonder and play the what if game looking at his sample size, vs with Weise we have a sample size outside of that last part of the season where he was complete garbage until then to balance out.

It's frustrating that I feel like there is no way his agent could be demanding anything higher than a Raffl or Weise type cap hit, but maybe I'm wrong and their demands are outrageous. Based on the way he looked in his NHL games this season, I'd be surprised if he puts up less than 15 goals next season. To me that's worth 2.35ish or less.
        Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
        Official Facebook
        Official Twitter

Comment

Also don't go crazy reading twitter and fb opinions Rev. I get caught up trying to correct people that have no idea what they're talking about in FB comments sometimes and always regret it.

The other day somebody said Richards was a better player than Giroux ever was when commenting on an article about the Giroux to Montreal rumors. When I pointed out that Giroux has already had better seasons than Richards peak, and he just had 58 points compared to Richards season at the same age being a handful of points then AHL reassignment and asked him to clarify what he meant since Giroux has already shown to have had a better peak and is on his way to having better career longevity unless disaster strikes very soon of course he had nothing to say.
          Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
          Official Facebook
          Official Twitter

Comment

He is a 25 year old offensive forward, but has shown very little to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. Unlike the overpaid forwards who underperformed last year, Weal did get good minutes in the top 6.

I agree that 1.7mil for three years I take a chance on him for that.

But I really think we could get similar production (and not so one-way play) with another youngster like lindblom/leier/or another prospect.

We have some bad contracts at forward in Weise, Read, Raffl who all underperformed and are not top 6 forwards. If we cant move those three we might as well play them, creating a logjam in the bottom 6 forwards. Weal and Lehtera are probably good bets to provide offense in the bottom 6, but we really don't need to overpay another forward to play in our bottom 6.

With a Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Patrick, Fillipula, Lehtera, COuts, Koneckny, Lindblom, Weise, Read, Raffl, Laughton that's 13 guys, I just don't see weal in the top 6, and that's what his game is best suited to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
              Unlike the overpaid forwards who underperformed last year, Weal did get good minutes in the top 6.
              Its like being the tallest midget in the circus. If the other top six guys had been producing what they could/should have last season, Weal never would have seen the ice in Philly. With what the Flyers have at forward in the pipeline, I'd be hesitant to let Weal get in their way by signing him to a long term deal. If he can get 3@$1.75 good for him and enjoy Vancouver or wherever that offer came from; just not here.
              "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Darren Dreger was on the FAN 590 at lunch today.

He said the Leafs have met with Weal, and believes Weal is looking for a 2 year deal (south of $2M per). He floated 2 x $1.5M or in that range.

If there is any truth to that, Hexy should be all over him...

Also, Hak was doing a radio interview yesterday in Trenton and said the following:

On if he wants Jordan Weal back next season:

No bones about it, I hope Jordan is back with us. I think he can be a big part of where we go in the near future and the long future here. Really impressed with him as a worker, as a guy thats hungry to get better and push and improve himself every day. Most importantly on game nights hes a guy who goes out and gets the job done. He competes hard, he finds a way to impact and affect the game, and those are guys that you have to have on every spot on your lineup.

He obviously has to go through a process, hes a free agent, and hes obviously going to do that.

Comment

Not to mention his shooting percentage is completely unsustainable. I do like the way he plays and would love to have him back for 2-3 years at something really reasonable- but if he can go get a kings ransom somewhere else I don't blame him. Kid has done everything he could to get to the big show- let him cash in if he can. Just won't be with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
                    Darren Dreger was on the FAN 590 at lunch today.

He said the Leafs have met with Weal, and believes Weal is looking for a 2 year deal (south of $2M per). He floated 2 x $1.5M or in that range.

If there is any truth to that, Hexy should be all over him...

Also, Hak was doing a radio interview yesterday in Trenton and said the following:

On if he wants Jordan Weal back next season:

No bones about it, I hope Jordan is back with us. I think he can be a big part of where we go in the near future and the long future here. Really impressed with him as a worker, as a guy thats hungry to get better and push and improve himself every day. Most importantly on game nights hes a guy who goes out and gets the job done. He competes hard, he finds a way to impact and affect the game, and those are guys that you have to have on every spot on your lineup.

He obviously has to go through a process, hes a free agent, and hes obviously going to do that.
                    2 years anything < 2M I would do 100%.

Comment

Working...
                    X