No announcement yet.

Mason, Mason, Mason (Here's a story...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason, Mason, Mason (Here's a story...)

So let's get this going...there's a fair amount of grumping over Steve Mason...

So let's look at numbers...everyone suddenly loves numbers...

From 2014-15 thru 2016-17
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 163 155 67 2.48 0.918
    Elliott 137 128 75 2.31 0.918
    Bernier 135 124 54 2.77 0.912
    Niemi 146 134 68 2.77 0.907

From 2015-16 thru 2016-17
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 112 107 49 2.59 0.913
    Elliott 91 83 49 2.34 0.919
    Bernier 77 69 23 2.70 0.911
    Niemi 85 73 37 2.92 0.900

2016-17
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 58 54 26 2.66 0.908
    Elliott 49 45 26 2.55 0.910
    Bernier 39 33 21 2.50 0.915
    Niemi 37 30 12 3.30 0.892

I'd be perfectly fine with Elliott or Bernier, and honestly, don;t see Mason as better than either of them. Because it's worth remembering that this is what Steve Mason looked like from 2010-11 thru April 1, 2013.
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 113 109 43 3.17 0.898

From 2011-12 thru April 1, 2013
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 59 56 19 3.29 0.895

And of course...in those 13 games in 2012-13 he played for CBJ before being traded to Philadelphia...
    GP GS W GAA SV%
    Mason 13 11 3 2.95 0.899

So when you see the folks lamenting the available tenders...keep these numbers in mind...

To me, Elliott makes the most sense as a bridge tender....and honestly...performance wise..isnt much difference from Mason over the last few years...

Elliott is coming off a cap hit of 2.5m....hoping he can be signed for 4m or less with a 3 year term...

Bernier at 28 and with a similar cap hit to Mason last year...is interesting as well...but it depends on what the goal is with Stolarz..and if his cap # has leveled at the 4m number...

I'm just not buying the doom and gloom of the available market...

If I had to pick my poison it would be Elliott. Although I think he was greatly sheltered in St.Lou playing for Hitch. He struggled last year in Calgary, especially early on....

I'd stay away from Bernier. He's a mental midget on and off the ice. Maybe one of the funniest things I ever saw was when they interviewed him for a Nelson Mandela charity event. This was Bernier's response. I'm not making this shit up folks:

He is one of the most known athletes in the world and a lot of impact in any kind of sport that he did. Even playing hockey, everyone knows him. From being the type of person he was off the ice and on the ice. But you know he changed a lot while he was with us. Hes a tremendous guy.

I seriously can't get behind a guy who thinks Nelson Mandela was a hockey player...LOL...WTF!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
      If I had to pick my poison it would be Elliott. Although I think he was greatly sheltered in St.Lou playing for Hitch. He struggled last year in Calgary, especially early on....

I'd stay away from Bernier. He's a mental midget on and off the ice. Maybe one of the funniest things I ever saw was when they interviewed him for a Nelson Mandela charity event. This was Bernier's response. I'm not making this shit up folks:

He is one of the most known athletes in the world and a lot of impact in any kind of sport that he did. Even playing hockey, everyone knows him. From being the type of person he was off the ice and on the ice. But you know he changed a lot while he was with us. Hes a tremendous guy.

I seriously can't get behind a guy who thinks Nelson Mandela was a hockey player...LOL...WTF!?
      I don't want Niemi, I'd actually rather go off board and look at some subset that a guy like Lehrner is in...before Niemi...

Benrier and Mason both have that aloof issue...tho not knowing who Mandella was is really frightening...

Comment

I don't see this team (the current expected roster) making a legitimate run. Why not just roll with Neuvirth and Stolarz? See what you have with Stolarz, and give him more games as warranted... For this roster, I'd rather pay 2.5M for Neuvirth than 4M for any of the guys above....

If they make a surprise run, and goaltending is a question, there's bound to be some sort of option around the deadline, but I'm not expecting that...

Comment

If Elliot or Mason take 3mil or less for 2-3 yrs, I'd go with it. Neuvirth is on a moveable deal and while Stolarz is here now, I'm not convinced.

I am convinced that Carter Hart is the real deal, but hes probably two years away.

Comment

I think Niemi is as bad a goalie there is out there. I agree that Elliott was the western version of Mason. Really solid goalie when on top of his game, but is scary bad when fighting the puck.

Lehner is a name I am really intrigued by. But I believe he's not a free agent, so not sure what it would take to acquire him.
            Last edited by lynchmob450; 06-29-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
              Lehner is a name I am really intrigued by. But I believe he's not a free agent, so not sure what it would take to acquire him.
              Lehner is an RFA. Seems like I'm being overly negative around here today, but I think the guy is absolute garbage. Not starter material at all. He's a total headcase and frankly out of position a lot. And if you thought people were hard on Mason for shootouts here? Lehner allowed ALL 8 shots he faced in the shootout this year. Literally, he didn't have one save in the shootout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRVg4Iyowk

I still laugh at the fact that the Sabres gave up a 1st rounder for him, and took on a bad contract, when guys like Jones and Talbot were available.

If you gave me a list of goalies that I could have on my team, Lehner would be somewhere near the very bottom of that list. There aren't many guys I wouldn't pick as my goalie instead of him. He is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

He HAD to have misheard a question and thought he was being asked about a player or something, right?
                Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                Official Facebook
                Official Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post

Lehner is an RFA. Seems like I'm being overly negative around here today, but I think the guy is absolute garbage. Not starter material at all. He's a total headcase and frankly out of position a lot. And if you thought people were hard on Mason for shootouts here? Lehner allowed ALL 8 shots he faced in the shootout this year. Literally, he didn't have one save in the shootout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRVg4Iyowk

I still laugh at the fact that the Sabres gave up a 1st rounder for him, and took on a bad contract, when guys like Jones and Talbot were available.

If you gave me a list of goalies that I could have on my team, Lehner would be somewhere near the very bottom of that list. There aren't many guys I wouldn't pick as my goalie instead of him. He is horrible.
                  WOW...i had no idead about how bad he was on shootouts. TBH, the reason i find him intriguing is because he's kind of a tough guy playing in nets. That was what i was intrigued by. Not sure i'm that intrigued now.

Comment

I'd go after Ryan Miller, 3@$3.5-4.0, and see if he'd take it. He's a veteran who knows that such a contract would probably be his last ride. He has shown a good attitude throughout his career and would be a good guy to split time with Neuvirth as well as mentor the younger goalies.
                    "I admire the exagerrated way that you tell the truth."- Arthur Balfour

Comment

Working...
                    X