No announcement yet.

Mason, Mason, Mason (Here's a story...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fine with Elliot. He is fine in a shared platoon system. Mason I think shot himself in the foot saying he wants to in a system where he is the #1 starter. I don't see WInnipeg going after him with Hellebuyck rising up the ranks.

Comment

I don't think Elliott is coming to Philly. Sounds like he is going to the Jets. I hear he has been house-hunting in Winnipeg this week.
      (I live in Winnipeg)
      Sucks, because he would also have been my first choice among the available UFA's.
      As a MB native, maybe Hexy can make him realize that Winnipeg winters are nothing like what he would have experienced in Ontario or Calgary!!!

Comment

Reports in the last two hours have Mason going to the peg

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Broad Street Hockey described 2016-17 as such for Elliott:

Elliott has had a solid career before an extremely mediocre season in 2016-17 with Calgary, forcing the Flames to trade for Arizona’s Mike Smith.

*cough...cough*
          GP GS W GAA SV%
          Mason 58 54 26 2.66 0.908
          Elliott 49 45 26 2.55 0.910

I have never seen Mason described as mediocre by the guys at BSH...

Comment

Looking like Elliot for 3 years at 2.75M is the rumor shooting around right now. Which would mean our goaltending would cost little more than 5M total.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder
              Looking like Elliot for 3 years at 2.75M is the rumor shooting around right now. Which would mean our goaltending would cost little more than 5M total.
              Sold.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll personally drive him from wherever he currently is to have this deal signed. Nice cheap bridge goaltender contracts for Neuvirth and Elliott, if this comes through.

What confuses me is what Elliott will do with the house he is buying in Winnipeg. That would be a long road trip for every home game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

I have never seen Mason described as mediocre by the guys at BSH...
                  I have heard them call last year's performance from both goalies atrocious...but they were fans of his.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

I have heard them call last year's performance from both goalies atrocious...but they were fans of his.
                    The problem with calling last year for Mason atrocious...is that it's not exactly a one-off...

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
                      So let's get this going...there's a fair amount of grumping over Steve Mason...

So let's look at numbers...everyone suddenly loves numbers...

From 2014-15 thru 2016-17
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 163 155 67 2.48 0.918
                      Elliott 137 128 75 2.31 0.918
                      Bernier 135 124 54 2.77 0.912
                      Niemi 146 134 68 2.77 0.907

From 2015-16 thru 2016-17
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 112 107 49 2.59 0.913
                      Elliott 91 83 49 2.34 0.919
                      Bernier 77 69 23 2.70 0.911
                      Niemi 85 73 37 2.92 0.900

2016-17
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 58 54 26 2.66 0.908
                      Elliott 49 45 26 2.55 0.910
                      Bernier 39 33 21 2.50 0.915
                      Niemi 37 30 12 3.30 0.892

I'd be perfectly fine with Elliott or Bernier, and honestly, don;t see Mason as better than either of them. Because it's worth remembering that this is what Steve Mason looked like from 2010-11 thru April 1, 2013.
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 113 109 43 3.17 0.898

From 2011-12 thru April 1, 2013
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 59 56 19 3.29 0.895

And of course...in those 13 games in 2012-13 he played for CBJ before being traded to Philadelphia...
                      GP GS W GAA SV%
                      Mason 13 11 3 2.95 0.899

So when you see the folks lamenting the available tenders...keep these numbers in mind...

To me, Elliott makes the most sense as a bridge tender....and honestly...performance wise..isnt much difference from Mason over the last few years...

Elliott is coming off a cap hit of 2.5m....hoping he can be signed for 4m or less with a 3 year term...

Bernier at 28 and with a similar cap hit to Mason last year...is interesting as well...but it depends on what the goal is with Stolarz..and if his cap # has leveled at the 4m number...

I'm just not buying the doom and gloom of the available market...
                      I agree to some extent Rev, but my argument would be that Elliot especially had far superior defensemen in front of him all of those years.

Comment

Working...
                      X