Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Flyers offer-sheet Leon Draisaitl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PinkFloydFreak87 View Post

That changes with the cap. ELab posted the current structure on page 1.
    $5,888,961 to $7,851,948 First-, second-, and third-round pick
    $7,851,949 to $9,814,935 Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
    $9,814,936 and above Four first-round picks
    Sorry, didn't have the new compensation straight, but two first, a second and a third is still a lot of picks to surrender in a cap world for a team that is a couple of years from seriously competing.

Comment

He's not close to being worth that kind of price.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkFloydFreak87 View Post
        Anyone that pays Draisaitl to carry their team is going to be disappointed.
        Or they watched him in the playoffs and saw that they split them up... and Leon was the better player by a wide margin. I'm not saying he'll be better in the long run but he's a lot better than people are giving him credit for. If the oilers lock those 2 in for under 22 million per the rest of the league is going to be very sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by alxhj View Post
          He's not close to being worth that kind of price.
          Define "worth".

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
            no for the simple reason someone will do the same to Provo and we are not in good enough cap space
            Everyone said that about the kesler offer sheet and then again about the Weber offer sheet. It never happens. Besides, Provo will be signed next summer... a full year before he gets to free agency. Edmonton was stupid to let draisaitl get to this point knowing that they'd need to resign mcdavid this summer.

Comment

salzy but whats the point in trying to offer sheet someone who will get matched? atleast the weber offer sheet had a chance of succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
                salzy but whats the point in trying to offer sheet someone who will get matched? atleast the weber offer sheet had a chance of succeeding.
                They always say they'll match any offer sheet but there's really only one way to find out. There is a number that Edmonton can't or won't match because of the deal they need to give McDavid. The hard part is figuring out what that number is and the really hard part is deciding if it's worth the risk to go that high. And in this particular case, I think it still makes sense to tender an offer sheet if only as a defensive tactic. I see the Oilers winning many, many cups if they are able to get these 2 locked in and still leave themselves room in the budget to fill out a respectable roster. It's important that the Oilers pay full market value for both those guys. Maybe not so important for us being on the opposite side of the continent but if I was a divisional rival... like Calgary... I'd definitely be drawing something up.

Comment

Originally posted by salzy View Post

They always say they'll match any offer sheet but there's really only one way to find out. There is a number that Edmonton can't or won't match because of the deal they need to give McDavid. The hard part is figuring out what that number is and the really hard part is deciding if it's worth the risk to go that high. And in this particular case, I think it still makes sense to tender an offer sheet if only as a defensive tactic. I see the Oilers winning many, many cups if they are able to get these 2 locked in and still leave themselves room in the budget to fill out a respectable roster. It's important that the Oilers pay full market value for both those guys. Maybe not so important for us being on the opposite side of the continent but if I was a divisional rival... like Calgary... I'd definitely be drawing something up.
                  oh well, yea i can see it for a divisional rival as much more useful. For example the pens/rags/caps are making it real hard for us to get a spot to the dance. if we force them to lose player B because they had to match on player A then we'd get much more direct tangible benefit for our club.

for draisatl, i havent followed him, but there's a sizable chance either he just had a good year OR he's simply proximal to talent (mcdavid) and isnt really worth the contract plus the picks we have to give. and then if it gets matched, that only benefits us if somehow the flyers and the oilers end up in the finals. and we're preventing another team from hurting themselves with a bad offer sheet. in addition we might easily end up with high picks the next two years with the uncertain state of our roster. Lots of calculation and game theory there but it doesn't seem like a slam dunk to me. Only if all my pro scouts were in agreement on him would i even think of that.

Comment

I am not familiar with the Flames cap situation, yet imagine if they made on offer sheet.
                    The '89 Flames roster was amazing

Comment

Originally posted by CLJ View Post
                      I am not familiar with the Flames cap situation, yet imagine if they made on offer sheet.
                      The '89 Flames roster was amazing
                      The Flames just sent away the picks they would need to offersheet in the Hamonic deal, so sadly no chance of that.

Maybe the Canucks?

Comment

Working...
                      X