Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hartnell Buyout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    JW would be a great addition to this young team.
    I believe he still lives in Ventnor in the off season. If so, a Philly deal might work for him too.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by salzy View Post
      I don't care what his numbers were... hartnell was shit and the most frustrating Flyer of my lifetime. And his numbers were mediocre for the money he made here. When he was brought in it was almost universally agreed he'd need to be a 30g, 60 pt guy to be worth it. I believe he only got there once. The mind bogglingly stupid plays and bonehead penalties were painfully aggravating. And the constant falling down was an embarrassment, regardless of how good natured he was about it. Falling down all the time doesn't make you charming. It means you're awful on your skates. Please please please do not bring that shitshow back to town.
      Salzy gets it. Hartnell was awful. He was even benched in Columbus a few times too, people act like he was a perennial All Star there.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by salzy View Post
        I don't care what his numbers were... hartnell was shit and the most frustrating Flyer of my lifetime. And his numbers were mediocre for the money he made here. When he was brought in it was almost universally agreed he'd need to be a 30g, 60 pt guy to be worth it. I believe he only got there once. The mind bogglingly stupid plays and bonehead penalties were painfully aggravating. And the constant falling down was an embarrassment, regardless of how good natured he was about it. Falling down all the time doesn't make you charming. It means you're awful on your skates. Please please please do not bring that shitshow back to town.
        Dead on, Salzy. I couldn't stand the way he played. Sure he was good for a laugh and did score some goals, but he did more harm than good on the ice. The guy has zero hockey sense and looking at how Hexy is building a team of smart hockey players with good motors, there's NO WAY he'd consider bringing back Hartnell. And I'm very happy about that.
        Mike Barr, Founder

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post
          The guy has zero hockey sense and looking at how Hexy is building a team of smart hockey players with good motors, there's NO WAY he'd consider bringing back Hartnell. And I'm very happy about that.
          Agreed. I don't think Hartnell was just about a cap move for Hextall. I think Hartnell isn't the kind of player that fits with the kind of team he wants to build.

          Comment


          • #25
            Yea, still don't get the hatred for him. Players have flaws, but that doesn't invalidate their positive contributions. And his contract is not his fault, whatever you think of it. Good thing he's gone so we don't have to have that endless conversation any more

            So getting back to my point, that it was a bad trade: Umberger was absolutely useless and had basically the same cap hit. I suppose if you thought that hartnell had a net negative on-ice contribution then thats a good deal? But also, what was hartnell's market value at the time? He wasn't viewed as being a useless player and turned out not to be for two years anyway. You can only say its a good trade if you think hartnell was so bad that he was untradeable without taking a similarly useless player back.

            I love what hexy's doing and the hartnell trade was made with the long-term plan of clearing cap space and building through the draft and signing young players to reasonable long term deals. So in that sense I love the trade. I just don't think he makes it if he knew what an actual deadweight umberger would be. I think he could have chilled and gotten some tangible asset back beyond the cap space.

            Comment


            • #26
              Still it was a great cap trade. He was a fan favorite, and this is one of the few times i am glad one of them left.

              Comment


              • #27
                All I know is that hartnell scored 150 pts in three seasons, whereas Umberger got nothing but paid.

                Glad both are off the books, but hartnell while a lousy skater, an often beaten fighter and questionable hockey IQ was a bit of fun and still produced.

                Umberger just got paid

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
                  All I know is that hartnell scored 150 pts in three seasons, whereas Umberger got nothing but paid.

                  Glad both are off the books, but hartnell while a lousy skater, an often beaten fighter and questionable hockey IQ was a bit of fun and still produced.

                  Umberger just got paid
                  You're missing the point. This was a future cap move which is helping us over the next few years. Umberger's cap hit will be completely gone after this season while Columbus has to keep eating Hartnell's hit. Also, Hartnell's points were the positive of his game, offset by the negatives. He didn't play sound positional hockey, took stupid penalties and made many careless plays. The hockey IQ was more than questionable, it was flat out bad. Was he entertaining? Sure. But more often than not he hurt the team's chances to win as opposed to helping.
                  Mike Barr, Founder

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
                    All I know is that hartnell scored 150 pts in three seasons, whereas Umberger got nothing but paid.

                    Glad both are off the books, but hartnell while a lousy skater, an often beaten fighter and questionable hockey IQ was a bit of fun and still produced.

                    Umberger just got paid
                    He played with g and got top line minutes and pp time....I might get 100 pts in that scenario...Hartnell was fun and a legit top 6 fwd for a while but I'm the end not a game changer for me.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      I really think Hartnell is also a negative influence on young players and not the kind of guy you want around a rebuilding team. I know he's a guy who's fun to be around, loosey goosey all the time and his teammates like him... I really believe that. That's all we'll and good but these kids need to learn there's a time for fun and a time to go to work and I don't think Hartnell ever learned that. I think having him around Giroux in his formative years in the league have had a negative impact in the long run. He's never really taken the game seriously enough for my liking either.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X