Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyers talking contract with Markov

Tony Marinaro‏Verified account @TonyMarinaro
    Andrei Markov is talking contract with one team right now. The Philadelphia Flyers #TSN690

This one is a real head scratcher for me. We'll see what gives

I really don't see a circumstance in which I'm going to like this if it comes to fruition.

Lets assume somehow that AMac goes so they can afford it and have a "vet space". That still leaves a D space blocked next year if the Markov deal is more than one year.

Provorov-Markov
    Gudas-Ghost
    Morin-Hagg
    Sanheim

I don't mind it so much for the first year and blocking one of those bottom three because I think adding Markov could be very helpful to the development of Ghost, Provorov, and the two of the bottom three who make it. But that next year where there is little doubt Hagg, Sanheim and Morin should all be on the team (not to mention Meyers), I really can't see liking it.
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

If they can find a way to rid themselves of AMac, i'd be OK with this. But i can't see how that will be possible.

Comment

I do suppose that they could flip him at the deadline with a bit of retainage and almost certainly get another first round pick
        "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Ugh .. If this is a way to limit the # of rookie dmen on the club, I'll be pissed. The only way it makes sense is if MacDonald is moved.

Comment

If we move macdonald and sign markov for something like 2 years, $4.5/yr, I'd definitely be on board. fixes our year 3 cap issues and upgrades macd. we probably could trade macd and a pick for a similar cap problem? I think we're gonna have about 3m in space atm so we can take a bit of trash back.

depends on what you think of markov as a 'vet leader'. dunno his personality.

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
              depends on what you think of markov as a 'vet leader'. dunno his personality.
              He's a quiet leader...but a solid citizen. Very good teammate and played really well last year. He's slow on his skates, but very smart on the ice. His passing is elite still and is great at setting people up for one-timers.

Comment

Markov is one of the most under rated dman of this era. While long in the tooth, he did amazing things for Mike Komisarek and others! Turned him into a #1 pairing in the maple leafs eyes and once the Markov security blanket was gone he was a bottom pair/scratch.

He would be good for the development of the younger guys. Skeptical it will happen though.

Comment

Markov is Lidstrom-light. SMART player who elevates the play of his partner. Had knee issues so he's probably not going win the fastest skater award but positionally he's elite. I'd LOVE to see him here to teach Provorov and the other 1-2 kids.
                  "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Update on the Markov rumor...appears he is interested in the Flyers more than they are with him. I would completely agree that Markov would be a strong addition to the blue line, if Hexy could move AMac and a forward (Read) to create cap space. Markov's superior skill set compared to AMac and the positive influence on Provorov, along with the other young defensemen would be extremely beneficial!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyMarin...32399215697920

Comment

Working...
                    X