Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My All time team

Now this is what flows through my head.

These are my favourites and favored lineup through the years I've watched, BUT playing in position (in other words You cant have Lindros-Clarke-Roenick-Forsberg at center)

And Im not going all new-NHL where its about speed and no fighting. Also, the line has to gel and the team has to have balance. And Im only picking guys who had more than a few seasons with the club, in fact career and longevity with the club are very important. While overall NHL longevity and production is a plus, Im really looking at their Flyers career.

Here goes:

Lindros - Recchi - Propp (Lindros was a beast, Rex was an assist machine and tenacious and I've always been a Propp man more than Leclair or Gagne)

Carter - Giroux - Brindamour (Carter is a good 2nd line center and can play both ways, giroux gets the assists and isnt counted on to be the MAN and Brindy is awesome at both ends)

Ron Sutter - Tocchet - Murray Craven (Sutter was a tenacious two way centerman who could put up pts, tocchet provides size/board play and can score and Craven was a solid LW who had some great hands)

Joel Otto - Sami Kapanen - Donald Brashear (Otto and Kapanen are two of my all time favorites, but both had great careers beforehand and Brash gets the nod here simply because his skating wins out)

13th-16th forwards: Dave Brown, Sandy McCarthy, Craig Berube and Branko Radiojevic (because he was a good 3rd liner with a great name)

Near misses at forward: Shjon Podein and Mikael Handzus

On defense:

Mark Howe - Terry Carkner

Kimmo Timmonen - Derian Hatcher

Eric Desjardins - Luke Richardson

7th-8th Dmen: Matt Carle and Chris McAllister

Near misses at defense: Dan McGillis, Pronger (not here long enough), Gord Murphy, Gary Galley, Jeff Chychrun, Behn Wilson, McCrimmon, Marsh

In goal:

Hextall
    Cechmaneck

Near miss: Lindbergh

As an added extra:

ALL DISAPPOINTMENT CREW:

Mike Comrie - Mike York - Kyle Cald er (all were established NHLers and solid pt producers and came here and forgot how to play, albeit not through injury like Keith Jones)

Mike Rathje - Randy Jones (?) (Rathje never really played for us, I know Im missing somebody here, although Kubina comes to mind, but Jones had a few okay years, got a big contract and fell off the map)

Anybody else got any ideas?
    Last edited by Hammerwise; 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM.

I don't post often, but this thread topic was one that I couldn't pass up. I began watching the Flyers around 1970, so I'm probably biased with a lean toward the 70's players - I just can't envision an "all time Flyers" team without Clarke and Parent. My lines 3 and 4 include some guys who didn't play on lines 3 and 4; however, they were very capable two-way players who could easily play a 3rd/4th line role. Hammer is there because the guideline indicated that this isn't the new NHL, and he changed games before fighting was frowned upon. Anyway, here's my list (apologies for any misspellings):

Forwards:
    Barber - Clarke - Leach (Barber 400G/800Pts/Plus-300, Clarke 350G/1200Pts/Plus-500, Leach 300G/500Pts)
    Although Leach may not be the best Flyers RW, I'd keep this line together anyway

LeClair - Lindros - Kerr (2/3 of Legion of Doom with the addition of Kerr's goal scoring)

Propp - Primeau - Recchi (Primeau for shut-down ability, Propp for 2-way play, Recchi because I just had to find a spot for him)

D. Schultz - Brindy - Tocchett (This line could lay down some punishment, be defensively responsible, and pose some offensive threat)

Defense:
    Howe - Pronger
    Desjardins - Hatcher
    Jim Watson - McCrimmon

Goalies:
    Parent
    Hextall

I probably neglected someone, most likely from the 80's....I was away at college and didn't have a TV, let alone any way to view the games if I did have one.

All Disappointment Crew:

Bryz
    Chris Gratton
    Tony Amonte
    Kris Versteeg
    Vinny Lecavalier
    Last edited by GOB; 08-08-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

It's hard for me to think in terms of lines.....I was there at the beginning.......memories fade. Debating who should be " 3rd pair D" for example, would just give me a headache.

Trying my best to parlay success (individual & team) longevity and ability these are the best 6 I've seen to date:

Clarke/ Barber/ Propp/Howe/Desjardins/Parent- with a nod to Lindros and Kerr.....who would have forced their way in had they stayed healthy long enough. Lord knows they both had the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
        ALL DISAPPOINTMENT CREW:

Mike Comrie - Mike York - Kyle Cald er (all were established NHLers and solid pt producers and came here and forgot how to play, albeit not through injury like Keith Jones)

Mike Rathje - Randy Jones (?) (Rathje never really played for us, I know Im missing somebody here, although Kubina comes to mind, but Jones had a few okay years, got a big contract and fell off the map)

Anybody else got any ideas?
        Jaroslav Modry?
        "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

Jaroslav Modry?
          I suppose not much was expected from him really, like timander, but he was a spent force. Like Kevin Stevens. We did get some mileage out of Coffey and Hawerchuk though

Pronger-Rathje, Keith Jones-Forsberg all had short flyer careers due to injuries.

Comment

Hammer...how did you put Chris McAllister in the top 8? Please say you did this to try to get a reaction.

Comment

You lost me at carkner

Comment

Balance...

Lindros, leclair, recchi
                Clarke, Propp, Kerr
                Brindy, Leach, Barber
                Poulin, Gagne, Voracek

Howe, Desjardins
                Timmonen, Pronger
                Dailey, Behn Watson

Parent
                Pelle
                Hextall

Comment

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
                  You lost me at carkner
                  Carkner would probably be paired with Timmo and Hatcher would be with Howe. Carkner was a big hitter, crease clearer and could drop them quite well. Carkner had some solid years in philly and was an okay pt producer during his time.

As far as McAllister, I was looking for A Realistic 8TH dman who could throw them and I choose him over Chyruchrun or Dan Kordic (who was a forward most of the time).

Ive only seen the 1970s flyers in film, so went from my early 1980s to present. Although Swami choosing a 4th line of Poulin, Gagne, VoraACEK is a bit of a cheat!

Comment

GOB and Swami have both put together really SOLID rosters. Personally, i lean towards Pouiln over Primeau...and prefer McCrimmon over Wilson (for me, Jim Watson and Bob Dailey were both extremely effective dmen and are deserving on an all-time Flyers roster). Good work guys!

Hammer...love this thread topic (only so much you can take of "What did you eat last night" type threads). Hoping to see what others have to share.

Comment

Working...
                    X