This has been the most boring off season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
    I'm worried Hexy will only play one rookie D EVEN if 3-4 of them are NHL ready.
    MDZ, Schultz and Streit are all gone from last year. Ghost, Gudas, Manning, Provorov and MacDonald are the only five remaining defensemen. We need at least 7 D, so barring a last minute signing, we are seeing two rookies on the blue line. And I think the only reason Hextall would do a dumpster-dive signing like that is if the rookies don't show they can play, which I can't see happening between Morin, Sanheim, Meyers and Hagg.

Hextall cleared room on the backend and room up front (Bellemare, VdV, Cousins all gone) because it's time to start seeing what we've got in our hand. I'm excited to see how they line up. I don't expect playoffs this season, but I'll be happy to see growth and an upward trend, especially from the youth.

Comment

Hattrix...i'm so on the opposite side of where you are. Not sure if i'm drunk on the Kool-Aid, but i see some very positive things happening this offseason, which makes me feel very comfortable with the direction of where this team is headed and even to some extent, how this season will play out. In no way am i expecting this year's team to be a threat, but i truly believe we will be much better than last year. This team has a ton more depth than it had last season, and the overall skill level we will see will provide us with a better understanding of where we will be in 2 years.

The only real question for me is...will Hakstol be able to pull the best out of the kids and give them the confidence that their mistakes are an opportunity to improve and not a reason for them to need to watch the game from the press box (which i am not completely against, but when it is repeated multiple times on the same player(s), i feel the learning opportunity is missed).

Comment

The bottom line is that we fans need to see a showing like the Maple Leafs, last year, in the playoffs. If not, Hackstol is gone.

Comment

Listen .. don't get me wrong ... I love the 2nd overall pick, but PISSED that there wasn't a Patrick Laine at #2. BSchenn was a very nice complementary player but he was certainly expendable so not a great loss. I'm worried Hexy will only play one rookie D EVEN if 3-4 of them are NHL ready. I have NO faith that ANY of the young O players that make the team will EVER be any better than 3rd liners who never make the "jump to their potential".

I'm just very guarded in my expectations and since I have more disappointments with "hyped" players than legit stars........................................maybe I've been watching too many Lindros tribute clips and realize how LAME most of the players in the NHL are. :-)
          Like Pit said, we need 7 D. If Hextall has to sign a vet d man in the preseason that means things went horribly wrong. If all goes according to plan two rookies make the D and Manning is scratched opening night.

In the OP you complained no trades, then you said Schenn was expendable and not a great loss. However you want to look at Schenn, it is a fact that they traded a player who was 2nd on the team in goals behind only Simmonds. Next closest to Schenn in goals was Voracek with 20 goals to Schenn's 25. It was a significant trade.

Patrick might not ever be a superstar, but we had incredible luck in jumping up to draft someone that should certainly be a 2nd line center at worst, and hopefully a solid career 1C. Lindblom hopefully makes the team. Who knows what we've got in Weal and Konecny. I personally think its a very exciting year coming up, regardless of how we do in the standings.
          Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
          Official Facebook
          Official Twitter

Comment

Anyone excited about Brian Elliott? Hard to believe no mention of him in this thread yet.... But then again, goaltending...

Comment

We dont have the Hart to talk about our goaltenting yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CLJ View Post
                Anyone excited about Brian Elliott? Hard to believe no mention of him in this thread yet.... But then again, goaltending...
                Not really excited. Hoping for basic competency. Mostly expecting Neuvirth or Elliott to get the call based on which is not playing worse and/or injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit View Post

Not really excited. Hoping for basic competency. Mostly expecting Neuvirth or Elliott to get the call based on which is not playing worse and/or injured.
                  Pretty much this. I'm just looking for average from Elliot, not really something to get excited for.

Comment

What's Patrick's ceiling compared to TK? Lindblom? Veccione?
                    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

What's Patrick's ceiling compared to TK? Lindblom? Veccione?
                      Very likely higher than all of them. And Patrick is certainly higher than a 3rd liner. You're really down on him and I can't understand why.

Konecny and Patrick have similar junior stats actually, with Konecy having had a big jump in his last year, compared to two final higher years from Patrick.

Konecny's OHL Stats
                      201314 - 63GP, 26G, 44A, 70P (1.11 PPG)
                      201415 - 60GP, 29G, 39A, 68P (1.13 PPG)
                      201516 - 60GP, 30G, 71A, 101P (1.66 PPG)

Patrick's OHL Stats
                      201314 - 3GP, 1G, 0A, 1P (0.33 PPG)
                      201415 - 55GP, 30G, 26A, 56P (1.02 PPG)
                      201516 - 72GP, 41G, 61A, 102P (1.42 PPG)
                      201617 - 33GP, 20G, 26A, 46P (1.39 PPG)

Lindbolm is an interesting case. He had one really good year last year, and people are excited about him. It will be interesting to see how he translates to the NA game.

Vecchione probably shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation, and certainly won't end up better than Patrick, not by a long shot. Vecchione will be a solid NHL player, but shouldn't be expected (in my opinion) to ever be a high-end point guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X