Stolarz out indefinitely - Surgery on the other knee to replace meniscus tear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swami24 View Post
    As much as I as like him, all things considered, why did they protect him?
    Because protecting Neuvirth was silly.

Signing Mason to a 4m a year deal and then protecting him would have been even sillier.

Comment

Originally posted by Pit View Post

They protected him because he isn't waivers-eligible, which meant Vegas could have taken him to stash in the AHL and see how he develops. So you protect the possible asset in Stolarz versus the undesirable one in Neuvirth that Hextall knew they weren't taking.
      I don't think Hextall knew they weren't taking Neuvirth...it was a pretty popular assumption he would be the pick...I expect Neuvirth was top 3 on the available list from Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

I don't think Hextall knew they weren't taking Neuvirth...it was a pretty popular assumption he would be the pick...I expect Neuvirth was top 3 on the available list from Philly.
        I mean, anything is possible, but there were better options out there. I didn't think it was likely unless McPhee had some fantasy notion in his brain that Neuvirth had evolved into the player he thought he would be when McPhee drafted him with the Caps (despite evidence to the contrary).

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

Who was assuming Neuvirth would be the pick, and why? Just because Mcphee drafted him? I just filtered goalies that played 10 or more games in the 2016-2017 season and Neuvirth was 59 out of 63 in save percentage. They knew Fleury would be there as a starter, and there were plenty of better goalies than Neuvirth to choose from.

Anyway, I'm still confused as to why they picked Bellemare, but to me Raffl or Read were by far the best options to take from Philly. Despite his contract, Mac wouldn't even have been a bad pick. He's younger than most of the defensemen that they did take, and would easily be a 2nd pair D man on their team.
          Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
          Official Facebook
          Official Twitter

Comment

I am not familiar with knees yet I have seen in baseball with elbows they sometimes hold off on surgery and hope rest resolves the issue and if not then they follow with surgery. Wondering if he had surgery for a minor repair (not his knee) and they hoped rest would help the knee. Yet it hasn't so surgery now. Just thinking out loud and there may be no basis for such a suggestion

Comment

Meniscus repair is what he had IIRC. It is dicey because it doesn't get blood flow. Repair techniques are new, but better than the old way of removing the damaged part. I had that done at 15, and the knee has never been good. I was able to run, but never played goalie! If they do a repair he will be non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks as a start.

Comment

A lot of the hockey writers had Neuvirth in the mix...

Following up....for as bad as Neuvirth was last season, the biggest knock on the guy is his health..not his numbers...

If we're judging by numbers there are a lot of people in Philly that need to write apology notes for pushing Mason as anything more positive than a hack..

Neuvirth is a relatively reliable and cheap tender..

There was conjecture that Vegas would load up on Goalies and look to wheel and deal..

Comment

Wonderful! I was hoping he'd get plenty more playing time this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X