Defensive pairings predictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
    Honestly, i would be completely blown away if Marty (Friedman) gets a sniff of the NHL this season. Looking at how Hextall handles kids, you pretty much need to a sure shot stud to crack the NHL roster without spending some time in the AHL.
    That's typically true, but he's a little older than the other guys who have been in that situation. The comparable is Ghost, and Ghost needed a good bit of work to handle NHL defensive responsibilities. At the end of the day I think Hextall will roster the guys who show best in training camp; if trends continue from last night, IMO, that puts Friedman above Myers, Sanheim, and Morin.
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post
      After watching the rookie game, I'm hard-pressed to believe Sanheim is ready and Myers definitely isn't. Friedman was sounder positionally and better at separating forwards from the puck than either of them; I think he has a real shot at actually supplanting MacDonald, Morin, or Hagg on the opening roster.

That was a not-good showing by Sanheim. I won't write him off based on one game, but it wasn't a good indicator.

Comment

Friedman is solid but I would expect (like Goat) that Sanheim's upside brings him in sooner rather than later.

And our need for a stay at home/crease clearer makes Morin a clear need now.

I would be massively surprised if Sanheim, Hagg, Morin and Myers all make the NHL with us, but I would expect three of them to make it, albeit not all probably make top 4.

I'm old school so I would prefer a puck rusher and a stay at home on each pair so at the moment (not necessarily in ranking order):

Puck rusher:
        Provorhov (not exclusively, his overall game is closer to Desjardins/Timmonen than a Coffey)
        Gotisbehere
        Sanheim
        Friedman

Stay at Home (although some of these guys have good wheels and don't have size, but use positioning)
        Gudas
        MacDonald
        Manning
        Morin
        Myers
        Hagg

Comment

Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

That's typically true, but he's a little older than the other guys who have been in that situation. The comparable is Ghost, and Ghost needed a good bit of work to handle NHL defensive responsibilities. At the end of the day I think Hextall will roster the guys who show best in training camp; if trends continue from last night, IMO, that puts Friedman above Myers, Sanheim, and Morin.
          I agree and if the decision among these guys is very close, Friedman may get the nod as a RH shot (I don't even think Myers is in the equation to make the Flyers this year).

Bottom line, competition is great to see among the guys coming up!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerwise View Post
            Stay at Home (although some of these guys have good wheels and don't have size, but use positioning)
            Gudas
            MacDonald
            Manning
            Morin
            Myers
            Hagg
            I put Myers more in the rusher category. His game may evolve as he learns to play the pro style, but he's more in the Sanheim mold than the Morin mold.

Comment

Yeah...Myers is a more well rounded version of Sanheim...not a real "stay at home" dman...but can play a defensively responsible game.

Comment

Myers was on the ice with the rest of the team to open camp today...so that is good news.

Comment

Provorov-MacDonald
                  Ghost-Morin
                  Hagg-Gudas
                  7th: Manning

I'm thinking Sanheim and Meyers will see action during the season, but not initially.
                  sigpic

Comment

Its still very early, but i'm certainly comfortable with Sanheim and Myers spending the season in the AHL. For Sanheim, it'll be his opportunity to focus on his game in the d-zone, while also possibly being the MAN among the defensive group. For Myers, the jump from junior hockey to pro hockey is enormous. He really should be given at least one full season in the AHL (i'd have no problem he spending 2 seasons there). Just keep developing and stay away from injuries.

Comment

Myers and Friedman both sent to AHL. I believe this is the right decision and Sanheim will follow shortly.

Comment

Working...
                      X