Nolan Patrick - boy amongst men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nolan Patrick - boy amongst men

No one else is immensely disappointed in the invisible man (teen)?
    Some will bash me for not seeing his greatness and potential and poise for a 19 yr old, but honestly he hasn't shown anything to warrant being in the NHL vs another year in junior.

"Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

We haven't seen much offense across the board from this team. Thank goodness for Sanheim. I'm not ready to draw any conclusions about Patrick just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by krash View Post
      ... I'm not ready to draw any conclusions about Patrick just yet...
      I admire your restraint..... I'm just the opposite with this draft pick. We SO badly needed a Patrick Laine at #2, not a safe, boring, uncreative Couturier clone.

Its not his fault he's the player he is. I'm angry at our amazing leap to #2.... But the ****ing NJD got #1.
      They got a creative O player... We get a grinder.

Ugh.... I'm so pissed.
      "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Geez, talk about snap judgments. The kid missed a good portion of last season due to injury and is still finding his game again. I have seen some creative play with the puck from him, including a deft passing touch. No, he's not a Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews who is going to jump right into the NHL and be a superstar. But after one camp and a few preseason games you want to write him off as a grinder? That's crazy. Especially considering the fact that pretty much all of the NHL experts have him pegged as an impact player and he was seen as the #1 pick before getting hurt.

At the very least, you play him for the first 9 games. If he looks totally out of place, then you send him back to Juniors for the year. But you have to give him that look and see if he can quickly acclimate to the NHL level of play. He was a top end prospect and consensus top 2 overall pick for a reason...and that reason is not because he'll be a good grinder. Have a little patience.
        Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

OOh Mikey! a little bit pissed?
          lol

Comment

4 games into the preseason might be a new record for turning on a prospect. Congrats.

Comment

I think I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, especially seeing that Nico has already potted 3 in the pre-season.

Am I ready to jump off a bridge, heck no. The kid has played 4 games. However, you do start to wonder about some of the scouting reports that called him a "top 6 forward". Does that mean a 2nd line center?

I think what sucks about this is that the last two times we drafted 2nd overall, it looks like there might be a real gap between our guy and #1 (Kane vs JVR and now Nico vs Nolan). Why couldn't Laine be the 2nd overall pick in this years draft LOL.

It is what it is...Let's give the kid some time and let him settle in. A ton of injuries and a recent surgery can't help. I know he's got a wicked shot, once he get's the first one he'll relax and the game will come to him...Sanheim was a hot mess a week ago, now he looks like a stud...

Comment

Originally posted by toothless joe View Post
                OOh Mikey! a little bit pissed?
                lol
                No, not pissed at all. Just surprised by the assessment of this kid based on a few preseason games as a 19 year old (and just turned 19 at that). He's nothing more than another grinder? Really?

The impatience is frustrating at times.

Lindblom isn't lighting it up in preseason either...are we going to call him a bust now?
                Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post
                  Geez, talk about snap judgments. The kid missed a good portion of last season due to injury and is still finding his game again. I have seen some creative play with the puck from him, including a deft passing touch. No, he's not a Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews who is going to jump right into the NHL and be a superstar. But after one camp and a few preseason games you want to write him off as a grinder? That's crazy. Especially considering the fact that pretty much all of the NHL experts have him pegged as an impact player and he was seen as the #1 pick before getting hurt.

At the very least, you play him for the first 9 games. If he looks totally out of place, then you send him back to Juniors for the year. But you have to give him that look and see if he can quickly acclimate to the NHL level of play. He was a top end prospect and consensus top 2 overall pick for a reason...and that reason is not because he'll be a good grinder. Have a little patience.
                  Agree

Comment

I get it Mike. Just having a little fun! The impatience is bubbling in the philly community. I can feel it. But again, we are still 2-3 years off of seriously competing for the cup!!

Comment

Working...
                    X