Nolan Patrick - boy amongst men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post
    ...Lindblom isn't lighting it up in preseason either...are we going to call him a bust now?
    Lindblom wasn't the #2 overall with experts drooling over his readiness to be an NHL player right away.

Listen everyone.... . I'm 48 yrs old. I've been a die hard fan for 40 yrs.... 40 years......I've seen Too Many "sure fire top 6 impact players" turn out to be 3rd or 4th line nobodies OR complete garbage that never sees the NHL.

I'm not saying I'm NHL scout caliber talent evaluation quality, but 40 years of watching and evaluating, I can say I've rarely been crazy off base. Rarely.

Patrick still can turn into Getzlaf or Toews........ I'll eat crow. Make sure you call me out on it. I have ZERO problem admitting I'm wrong.

Actually I HOPE HOPE that I'm wrong. That would mean we have an awesome impact player on my favorite team.
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Barr View Post

No, not pissed at all. Just surprised by the assessment of this kid based on a few preseason games as a 19 year old (and just turned 19 at that). He's nothing more than another grinder? Really?

The impatience is frustrating at times.

Lindblom isn't lighting it up in preseason either...are we going to call him a bust now?
      You have to admit this team is full of "two-way" forwards which is code for "can't score".

We are unbelievably boring to watch, and all our current players and prospects are all "two-way" guys. Heck, even our "stars" G and Jake can barely crack 20. I won't even go into Couts or anyone else.

Now Patrick and Lindblom are looking like guys who are "solid two way players" bla bla bla. I want this team to draft a "one-way player".
      A mother ****er who all he want's to do is score and shoot first.

I'm tired of watching this group lead by Hak trying to cure my insomnia. Fans are trying to get excited, but they still see a team that can't score, losses leads, ugly PP and OT/SO that are a guaranteed loss.

So what will the Flyers do? Instead of keeping all 3 young defenceman, they'll send one of them down, they're already prepping us for a Lindblom demotion and I'll get to watch more of Read, Lehtera, Weise and AMac.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

You have to admit this team is full of "two-way" forwards which is code for "can't score".

We are unbelievably boring to watch, and all our current players and prospects are all "two-way" guys. Heck, even our "stars" G and Jake can barely crack 20. I won't even go into Couts or anyone else.

Now Patrick and Lindblom are looking like guys who are "solid two way players" bla bla bla. I want this team to draft a "one-way player".
        A mother ****er who all he want's to do is score and shoot first.

I'm tired of watching this group lead by Hak trying to cure my insomnia. Fans are trying to get excited, but they still see a team that can't score, losses leads, ugly PP and OT/SO that are a guaranteed loss.

So what will the Flyers do? Instead of keeping all 3 young defenceman, they'll send one of them down, they're already prepping us for a Lindblom demotion and I'll get to watch more of Read, Lehtera, Weise and AMac.
        Time to stop watching the Flyers then. Hextall is engineering this team to be responsible in all zones, with a defense that can drive play and join the rush. I am with Bill, I can't believe how quickly people are jumping on the hate train for Patrick. Glad you all aren't running this team. If you were you probably would have traded Sanhiem a few preseason games ago. Give these kids some time.

Comment

The kid had a serious injury.. Even if the new surgery proved successful, getting his recovery to the point where he feels comfortable enough to "turn it loose" may take more than camp + 9 games. I would say, however, that so far he's hasn't shown me anything to believe he's ready this year. He may not like it. but another healthy year "bringing in the sheaves" in Brandon may do his ultimate outlook a world of good-and I don't see any urgency on Hextall's part to rush anybody. He's long-term view in terms of competing, even if the fans aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by FLexible FLyer View Post
            The kid had a serious injury.. Even if the new surgery proved successful, getting his recovery to the point where he feels comfortable enough to "turn it loose" may take more than camp + 9 games. I would say, however, that so far he's hasn't shown me anything to believe he's ready this year. He may not like it. but another healthy year "bringing in the sheaves" in Brandon may do his ultimate outlook a world of good-and I don't see any urgency on Hextall's part to rush anybody. He's long-term view in terms of competing, even if the fans aren't.
            If the question is simply, "Is he ready?" I can't see how anyone could not answer yes based on his pre-season games thus far. Second question should be, "Is he better than our other options?" and to me he certainly passes that test too. Who would you rather have in the lineup right now instead of Patrick? To me he has passed the eye test. He has won battles at key times, made some beautiful passes and just seems to be in the right place on the ice. Has he scored yet? Nope- but neither have any of our other forwards. He has proven far better than a lot of our vets out there though and did primary assist on a game winning goal by Ghost and a nice little dish to Sanheim last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedder View Post

Time to stop watching the Flyers then. Hextall is engineering this team to be responsible in all zones, with a defense that can drive play and join the rush. I am with Bill, I can't believe how quickly people are jumping on the hate train for Patrick. Glad you all aren't running this team. If you were you probably would have traded Sanhiem a few preseason games ago. Give these kids some time.
              I have...Probably haven't watch as few games as I have the last 2 years. Most nights, I can't even be bothered to remember if they're playing. Thankfully my phone app reminds me LOL. This is one of the least likeable teams I can remember. I'm hoping that changes in the next 3-5 years.

I'm certainly not turning on Patrick. All I've said is that he hasn't impressed me. I think that's a fair comment. Are there reasons for his vanilla play - sure. I've touched on a few of them. He could/should go on to have a very good career. But based on 4 games, I haven't gone wow. Just like we would be going crazy if he had 5 goals by now, I think fans are allowed to be bummed out he hasn't scored any or looked dangerous. Hextall has even called him out in a roundabout way....

When Sanheim was drafted I said he would be our best D man. I also called out those who though Morin would be Chara...

It's ok, fans are allowed to voice their opinions and disagree. That's the point of this place....

Comment

I guess with Patrick I am not sure he is ever going to be the flashy player Nico is. He plays a different game that is built around doing all the small things right. I actually thought he had a good game last night. You are definitely welcome to your own opinion tough, and like you would love to see him with a stat line of 5 goals rather than 2 assists.

I thought this was a really good quote from Charlie this morning at the Athletic:

"Travis Sanheim, who remains in a fierce battle to earn a roster spot with Philadelphia, scored two goals, both of highlight-reel quality. Just a week ago, Sanheim was dropped to the “no chance of making the team” group in practice at Voorhees, and now all of the momentum is on his side after three straight stellar preseason contests. It's a perfect example of how quickly a top prospect can “find” his game, especially after shaking off the rust that comes with a long offseason."

In any case hopefully this teams forwards can score a few goals before preseason is over. It was a problem last year and hopefully it won't be a problem this season.

Comment

Hat...the problem i have is it seems you had your mind already set. And because the kid has not been the MAN amongst boys, you are ready to declare that he's a failed #2. I feel that this is an extremely premature judgement on who Patrick is and how he will impact this team. I understand that its part of being human to carry prejudgements, but can we allow him some time become a player (if he ends up a 2C....that sucks). But let's just enjoy the first 15-20 games before declaring anything.

Here are some clips of Patrick making plays that you might have not caught.

Yes, that was Patrick with a fantastic pass to set-up Sanheim yesterday.

Here's a better look at the play he makes...

Here's another nice pass.

And here is another great pass.

So i guess we're bored with the nice passes...so lets give him a few more games to allow him to score his first goal and get into his first fight. If he doesn't have either in the first 3 games of the regular season, then i'm with you...he a complete BUST

Comment

he does make some pretty passes and setups...problem with the team remains that we don't have a finisher that can benefit from all those pretty plays

Comment

good point. I wonder if Hexy will address that!

Comment

Working...
                      X