Nolan Patrick - boy amongst men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsl135 View Post

Absolutely. This is just ridiculous. Honestly, Hat, you're so jaded you can't even see past your own clouded judgment. We've all been fans for a long time. We've all suffered the same things, but to make the claim that he's a Couturier clone is asinine. Patrick has had plenty of very nice passes throughout the preseason, and has looked like exactly what he is... a kid getting a taste in the NHL (and still doing quite good). Is he lighting it up? No. Neither is Hischier, so it's really odd that because he has 3 goals, he's some stud and Patrick is a bust.

You've made up your mind. You pretty much already had in an earlier thread after a rookie game and like one period of a preseason game if I recall correctly, so there's clearly not going to be any reasoning with you unless Patrick starts toe dragging through the entire team twice and scoring 2 goals a game.

He's a damn good player. It's a shame that you're not going to be able to enjoy that.
    1. My mind isn't made up at all. He played well tonight. Solid.
    2. Couts still sucks (nice F up on the breakaway) ... sorry to get off topic :-D
    3. He doesn't need to score 2 a game. I was very happy with TK's "lame" 11 goals last year. I don't need to see goals to like the player's game.
    "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

Patrick looked really nice tonight, and I agree Couts still looks slow and not very skilled at all. We've got other guys with speed and better skill, to me, he's beginning to look like more of a 4th liner than Laughton. Giroux looks rejuvenated, and I think he makes a big comeback this year. I'm beginning to think we have to keep the 3 youngsters on defense with the big club, despite the growing pains that go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hattrix View Post
        That being said, the product sold to me by scouts, "expert" testimony, people on this board, and anywhere else we get our hockey info from regarding these draft picks, has not lived up to the reports.
        I really dont see what that has to do with Nolan Patrick.

Comment

Remember when Matt Read scored a bunch of goals... Pepperidge farms remembers.
          /couldn't help it

I have only seen a couple of the games, and at that had a few glances at Patrick and the other young guys coming in so far. I know from the interviews Hexy wants him to get into the NHL flow as soon as possible, get his game going. I would assume there is some frustration that he is still looking for his scoring touch, that said he does not look lost or out of place yet, and that is a good.

Flyers scoring across the board has been somewhat scant, and that is a bad. However, it is not abysmal game to game. I mean I am seeing the Avalanche getting 5-1 preseason wins, same with the Vegas Golden Twats, but when the season actually starts I wonder how things will look.

THe power play struggling is a bigger concern than any single player. That and I am really wondering how the D shakes out, I'd expect one of Morin, Sanheim, o rHagg to be a Phantom until there is a need for call up (Nov-Dec), but I really like what I have seen in our young D.

The forwards are also a bit of a kaleidescope at the moment too. Thats the preseason for you though, looking for sparks and chemistry.

I am actually somewhat impressed with Laughton so far, or surprised might be a better description. He be able to replace Bellemare adequately... if not COuts.
          **Caveat- I appreciated PEB's work ethic on the PK and fourth line, a good blue collar player who was good at his role, that is all

My money this season is riding on Weal to cash in on that net presence.
          (Literally my bet this season is that Weal can get 25, I do realize it is a long shot, but I like my bets like that, its just a case of beer and bragging rights)
          If there is a guy who I want to see bust out, it is Weal. He has shown that he can show up at the net at the right times, he has speed but it is that quickness to get to a scoring position that has me hopeful. I think that is what other teams saw in him too which is why he had that tour across the league before the Flyers resigned him, or whatever.

With Patrick my expectation is to see a solid player who can adjust to the speed and physicality of the NHL quickly, make the good decisions and get to those areas where he can score. That and I expect the work ethic to be there.

In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us...

Comment

Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post

I really dont see what that has to do with Nolan Patrick.
            Uh ... because that's what I expected to see on the ice, and I'm not seeing it........ yet. Which, as of right now is disappointing. I'm hopeful that his play evolves into something more "valuable" than Couts.

BTW ... from left field, I think I'm going to rail on Couts all year. He's worn out his welcome (unless he's our 3 or 4th line C)
            "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

Comment

my guess is that Patrick will eventually replace Couts on the first line...
              the fact that Couts is playing on the first line is mystifying...It seems like the brain trust is bending backwards to do everything they can to make him a scorer..and won't accept that he might simply be a better than average third line Center...and damn good at it too. Same way they won't / haven't give up on Laughton.

But regardless of all this, G NEEDS to find his game again...as does Jake...we can't expect Wayne Train to do everything again this season
              Last edited by flyerdog; 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Is that how this board works? You sling an insult and I should then reply with one of my own?

BTW ... if you've followed the thread, there are other that are also unimpressed. Maybe not to the degree that I am, but still, unimpressed in Patrick.
                That wasn't an insult. It was an opinion, an observation. An insult would be to say you're stupid or something like that. I was saying the thread and the premise behind it was stupid. And in case there was some confusion, when I said OP, I mean the Original Post.

And there is a big difference between being "unimpressed" vs. "immensely disappointed in the invisible man (teen)"

Comment

Sure it's an insult. It's my OP. My idea, my work, my concept. It's an extension of me. So by default, insulting it is directly insulting the creator... Me

Unimpressed, in this circumstance for me, directly leads to immensely disappointed....

I was immensely disappointed BECAUSE I was so unimpressed.

Cause and effect. Can't have one without the other.... Imo

Comment

Whatever. Waste of time and energy to be Unimpressed or Immensely Disappointed over a rookie in preseason who hasn't played 1 NHL game yet. You seem like one of those types that is always pissed off or upset about something. If that's how you like to go through life, have at it. Good luck.

Comment

Sure it's an insult. It's my OP. My idea, my work, my concept. It's an extension of me. So by default, insulting it is directly insulting the creator... Me
                      Just as an outside observer, this is a bit hyper defensive. There is a difference between telling somebody they are stupid vs telling them they are currently doing something stupid. Just because phillymac felt this thread was a stupid discussion to bring up doesn't mean he's saying you're stupid (which he already said that is not what he meant), or that any discussion you may bring up is stupid. Similar to a teacher / coach telling a student, "this is bullshit, you can do better and you should do better."
                      Check out Kid Felix!

Official Site
                      Official Facebook
                      Official Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X