Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nolan Patrick - boy amongst men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    Originally posted by Tim Kerr #12 View Post
    Bill Meltzer's assessment of Nolan thus far:

    Patrick came close to his first goal of the preseason on chance near the net set up by Weal. He's had two high-skill assists thus far in the preseason, played well without the puck, is heavy on the puck and solid on the walls.

    If there is one quibble with his game thus far, it's his feet. He is fine once at top speed but there hasn't been much first-step explosiveness that would get him separation. That is to be expected to some degree, since Patrick had dual sports hernia surgeries (including one on June 13) and it can take quite awhile into the next season before a player's maximum skating abilities return.

    As he settles in and gets more games under his belt, it will be interesting to see if Patrick can start to get free from defenders with more frequency. He doesn't have to be a speed demon, but he can be a little quicker off the blocks than he's looked so far.
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...e-930/45/87655


    Remember G and Ghost took most of last season to finally start looking like themselves again skating wise. Probably going to take the kid awhile for that first step explosiveness to return, that is if he has that gear... I guess we will find out in the new year.
    People also seem to be ignoring the idea that his skating can improve with work. We've seen that time and time again, and it's an accepted possibility with lower end skaters and less hyped prospects (see Jeff Carter and Matt Strome)
    "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

      People also seem to be ignoring the idea that his skating can improve with work. We've seen that time and time again, and it's an accepted possibility with lower end skaters and less hyped prospects (see Jeff Carter and Matt Strome)
      Jeff Carter??? He was an elite skater in Jr...

      Nonetheless, I agree his skating can and will improve (especially the first step explosiveness). People forget he missed a massive chunk of last year and has had 2 surgeries! He essentially didn't skate this summer until September. He is behind the eight ball big time...

      His biggest problem might be what Hischier is doing right now. Kid looks filthy and now has 4G and 7 PTS in 4 games. Fast, plays like a ball on fire and likes to shoot...

      I think Nolan will be very vanilla this year, but I look for him to breakout big time next year....JMHO

      Comment


      • #53
        Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post

        Jeff Carter??? He was an elite skater in Jr...

        Nonetheless, I agree his skating can and will improve (especially the first step explosiveness). People forget he missed a massive chunk of last year and has had 2 surgeries! He essentially didn't skate this summer until September. He is behind the eight ball big time...

        His biggest problem might be what Hischier is doing right now. Kid looks filthy and now has 4G and 7 PTS in 4 games. Fast, plays like a ball on fire and likes to shoot...

        I think Nolan will be very vanilla this year, but I look for him to breakout big time next year....JMHO
        Hmmmm my recollection was that he was NHL good but not great and became elite. Maybe I'm thinking of Richards or Umbergers improvement
        "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by ELab2 View Post

          Hmmmm my recollection was that he was NHL good but not great and became elite. Maybe I'm thinking of Richards or Umbergers improvement
          Yup - you're mixing up the two. Carter was born with wheels....Richards not so much....

          Comment


          • #55
            The big bitch (at least around here) on Carter's skating was that it didn't look like he was trying hard enough to skate (even though he was skating hard...?) Not that he couldn't or didn't, just that it didn't look like he was trying to skate
            hard...



            In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us...

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The big bitch (at least around here) on Carter's skating was that it didn't look like he was trying hard enough to skate (even though he was skating hard...?) Not that he couldn't or didn't, just that it didn't look like he was trying to skate
              hard...
              Yup....Carter got the same bitching Lindros did...crazy looking back on both of them...how perception can be so wonky.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by Tim Kerr #12 View Post
                it can take quite awhile into the next season before a player's maximum skating abilities return.[/B]


                Remember G and Ghost took most of last season to finally start looking like themselves again skating wise. Probably going to take the kid awhile for that first step explosiveness to return, that is if he has that gear... I guess we will find out in the new year.
                This is my overarching point. My question would be, given the GM's reticence to "push" youth whether he sticks this season, or is better served in Juniors for another year to get healthy. I've not seen him play enough to have an opinion, but the game I saw......he wasn't pushed around but otherwise looked invisible.

                Comment


                • #58
                  He was very good yesterday against the Bruins. Forget about the fight...he continues to be very composed with the puck and seems to have high hockey IQ. Yesterday was just a preseason game, so take that for what it is.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    More from Meltzer...

                    Patrick’s vision, passing and fists.


                    Patrick and linemate Jordan Weal have shown emerging chemistry and ability to find one another on the ice with clever passing plays. Weal has been a bit unlucky on the stat sheet (one assist in five games) but has generally kept up a similar level of solid play to what he showed at the NHL level in the latter portion of the 2016-17 season before re-signing with the Flyers over the summer. On this night, Weal was credited with a pair of takeaways as he hounded Boston puck carriers.

                    In addition to Patrick’s power play assist on the Konecny goal, the rookie continued on several other shifts to show himself to be a player with excellent ice vision and a deft passing touch.

                    For the first time as a Flyer, Patrick showed he also has a feisty side.

                    With the score 4-0 in the Flyers favor late in the second period, tempers flared between the two teams. The fuse was lit on a clean but jarring hit on Weal along the side boards by Bruins defensemen Charlie McAvoy and picked up steam with the after-the-whistle scrum around the Boston net.

                    After much chirping and jostling back and forth, Patrick dropped the gloves with veteran Bruins skill forward David Krejci. They engaged in a lengthy and tiring bout that was more wrestling match than fisticuffs but the Wells Fargo Center crowd and the Flyers players got a big charge out of it.

                    “It kind of happens fast on the ice. Adrenaline kicks in. I’m not scared to do it if it happens but still it’s not a huge part of my game,” Krejci said.

                    Asked who was the oldest person he’d ever fought before the 31-year-old Krejci, the 19-year-old Patrick grinned and replied, “Not THAT old.”

                    Patrick has shown multiple times during camp that he has high-end ice vision and playmaking ability on top of a two-way game. However, he's had only a few bonafide scoring opportunities of his own and he has lacked the first-stride burst that would get him separation from defenders. Partially for that reason and partially because of a pass-first mentality throughout camp, Patrick's shot -- which is an very good one -- has rarely been on display.

                    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Hits/45/87703
                    Philadelphia Flyers #1
                    Winnipeg Jets a very distant #2
                    The rest of the 28 teams can KMA!

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Another excellent article.
                      .
                      .
                      "Perry the Platypus! I swear, of all the aquatic mammals I hang with, you are TRULY the most uncooperative!" - Dr. Doofenshmirtz

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X