Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Flyers at Kings, Game two, Day two.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hexy's Axe View Post
    Serious question...if Morin is the odd man out yet again this year, at what point does the organization move him?

Four years of Jr hockey, and now potentially a third year in the AHL!? At what point does he stop becoming a prospect?

I believe he is the only 1st rounder from that draft that hasn't played more than one game. I've got a really hard time believing he can't be a bottom pairing d-man on this club. His size, physicality and skating alone should make him a #6 on any club...
    Not sure why this is such an issue for you.

Morin is 22, and a few months younger than Gostisbehere when he made his debut at 22...did we talk about bagging Gost because he hadn;t made the NHL yet or did we give him a pass because he was a college player? Development is what it is whether it's college or the AHL..Sanheim will be 22 before the end of the season..if he's not secure in his roster spot do we stop calling him a prospect too?

Given Morin looked like the better and more needed piece on the blueline all preseason....at what pinit do we question the Flyers..and specifically Hextall for not getting the kid into the lineup (this also happened with Gost..who needed a key injury and a historic run to remain on the club)

the playstyle bias Morin has to fight from fans, the media and the front office is also ridiculous...Sam will not ever have break out year like Gost, but his physical presence eclipses that of even gudas...that he hasn't gotten the roster spot he earned only doubles down on the problem being an outside force...

Morin, Gost, Sanheim and even Hagg all point to a flaw in the front office, not the kids....and while many people arent shy about blaming Hakstol...it's clear the issue is trickling down from above...

When do we stop treating Hexy like a genuis....how many underachieving, DNQ seasons does the guy get?

And if turns out that MacDonald is occupying the Sanheim spot...and gudas the Morin spot...they need to either move the vets or move the kids and use the return to address needs at forwards..

there's no point to the blueline depth we have..and not maximizing it...by either playing it or trading it.

That's again, a Hextall issue, not a player issue. provorov made the team last season because of the fan/media pressure and hubris....he looked no better/mo worse than either Sanheim or Morin when allowing for playstyle differences in preseason last year. Likewise nolan Patrick is a Flyer because of hype/expectation...I like the kid...have no problem with him being here..but he didn't outplay Oskar for a spot....(Oskar who will be 22 before the start of camp next year..so hopefully he secures his spot this year...right?)
    Last edited by Rev_Bully; 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
      And if turns out that MacDonald is occupying the Sanheim spot...and gudas the Morin spot...they need to either move the vets or move the kids and use the return to address needs at forwards..

there's no point to the blueline depth we have..and not maximizing it...by either playing it or trading it.

That's again, a Hextall issue, not a player issue.
      I really wonder if Hexy would have the Homer balls to make a trade involving one of the blue chip dmen.

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post

I really wonder if Hexy would have the Homer balls to make a trade involving one of the blue chip dmen.
        Have to believe you can put a package together with Sanheim or Morin, a young forward and a pick and get damn close to addressing the need for a 1C/2C

..it's not my preferred method, but we have depth at the second tier of prospects as well..dmen who aren't bluechipper but are expected to be everyday Dmen in the league..

At some point something has to give...

Comment

Have to believe you can put a package together with Sanheim or Morin, a young forward and a pick and get damn close to addressing the need for a 1C/2C

..it's not my preferred method, but we have depth at the second tier of prospects as well..dmen who aren't bluechipper but are expected to be everyday Dmen in the league..

At some point something has to give...
          I don't think the time is now, but a shoe will have to drop at some point, if only because you have 6 spots and can't have a 4 million dollar player in each.

It seems pretty clear that you get rid of AMac and Manning and we still have 6 young NHL defenders, with Friedman and Myers very likely to also reach that level. So now you're talking about 8; four of whom (Ghost, Gudas, Hagg, and Provorov) can already convincingly be called a real top 4.

So at some point, moves have to be made. I don't think it automatically makes sense to say Gudas is blocking a spot so he should be traded. Having Gudas and Moran is both sensible and appealing, particularly with Gudas appearing to really round out his game. To me the Myers, Sanheim, Gost, Friedman contingent is where we have the most potential redundancy.
          "Oh, We got five. Ohhhhh."

Comment

Not sure why this is such an issue for you.

Morin is 22, and a few months younger than Gostisbehere when he made his debut at 22...did we talk about bagging Gost because he hadn;t made the NHL yet or did we give him a pass because he was a college player? Development is what it is whether it's college or the AHL..Sanheim will be 22 before the end of the season..if he's not secure in his roster spot do we stop calling him a prospect too?

Given Morin looked like the better and more needed piece on the blueline all preseason....at what pinit do we question the Flyers..and specifically Hextall for not getting the kid into the lineup (this also happened with Gost..who needed a key injury and a historic run to remain on the club)

the playstyle bias Morin has to fight from fans, the media and the front office is also ridiculous...Sam will not ever have break out year like Gost, but his physical presence eclipses that of even gudas...that he hasn't gotten the roster spot he earned only doubles down on the problem being an outside force...

Morin, Gost, Sanheim and even Hagg all point to a flaw in the front office, not the kids....and while many people arent shy about blaming Hakstol...it's clear the issue is trickling down from above...

When do we stop treating Hexy like a genuis....how many underachieving, DNQ seasons does the guy get?

That's again, a Hextall issue, not a player issue. provorov made the team last season because of the fan/media pressure and hubris....he looked no better/mo worse than either Sanheim or Morin when allowing for playstyle differences in preseason last year. Likewise nolan Patrick is a Flyer because of hype/expectation...I like the kid...have no problem with him being here..but he didn't outplay Oskar for a spot....(Oskar who will be 22 before the start of camp next year..so hopefully he secures his spot this year...right?)
            I don't know if you are agreeing with me or not?

Your first line and last line seems to suggest I'm out for lunch, and everything in between is my argument.

The youth are better than what we have, and they've received plenty of "seasoning." The league is getting younger and faster. We seem to love the opposite.

To think Morin will be 23 by the time he cracks this lineup is ridiculous. We're not the two time defending champs. We're a borderline shit show, especially on the blueline.

Comment

Morin has to be in the lineup tomorrow and moving forward. Watching Hagg perform, i have little doubt that Morin will make an impact on this team. Yes, he will make some mistakes, but if the coaching staff are honest, all of their current players make mistakes. As Hexy's Axe said, this league is pushing kids up as fast as they can....and none of these kids are mistake proof. You as a coach need to work harder to teach the kids...so unless you're not interested in teaching (why are you in this profession?), let the kids play!

Comment

I was mostly impressed with last night's performance. Playing the second of back to back games on the west coast against a rested team in their opener, they skated with them all night. Outshot them 17-5 in the third period! That's a big positive. The negative, of course, was the inability to finish. And that led them to trying to be too fine, passing up good shots looking for that perfect play which wasn't there. Nothing wrong with going to the basics of shooting and driving for rebounds/deflections. Ugly goals count too.

In terms of individual performances, it was mostly good. Sanheim was definitely shaky, but I really don't fault him too much on that first goal. He was within a couple feet of Lewis, not out of position at all, and it was a perfect pass which was perfectly handled. Give credit to the Kings for a nicely executed play. I don't want to see Travis sent immediately to the Phantoms, he needs to play at the NHL level to learn. He'll get better with experience. Manning should not see the ice unless there are short term injuries...he's the 7th defenseman period.

A guy that frustrated me last night was Filppula. He has to pull the trigger and not ALWAYS slow down the play. He's become predictable and the Kings ate him up. I also do not like him on that first power play unit in Schenn's old spot. You need someone with a shooter's mentality there. Might be a good spot for Patrick who has an excellent shot and quick release. I know you don't want to overburden the rookies, but this is something that could get him into the offensive flow.

But overall, I liked what I saw. This team is fun to watch and should only get better as the season goes on.
                Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
                  Morin has to be in the lineup tomorrow and moving forward. Watching Hagg perform, i have little doubt that Morin will make an impact on this team. Yes, he will make some mistakes, but if the coaching staff are honest, all of their current players make mistakes. As Hexy's Axe said, this league is pushing kids up as fast as they can....and none of these kids are mistake proof. You as a coach need to work harder to teach the kids...so unless you're not interested in teaching (why are you in this profession?), let the kids play!
                  The Leafs played four rookies last year - Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Brown. They ran around bitch slapping the league. They weren't perfect every night, and some days they were crap. But overall they took the league by storm and had a great coach who was willing to mentor and teach them. The easy part is to overcook the steak, the hard part is getting it just right...I thought Mr. College was brought in because of his experience with "kids", yet all they want to do is play "veterans."

Comment

I watched the first 2 periods...the thing that really stuck out for me was the speed of the 4th line. It seemed like they really controlled the play whenever they were on the ice, making me wonder if they deserve more time. Also, i feel bad for TK. He is playing at a totally different level compared to his linemates (Filppula and Weise). How do we fix that? TK is a weapon and deserves better than that.

I thought Provorov struggled yesterday. But when i woke up this morning, i was questioning if what i was seeing was #9 or #8 or #6. So that might have been as issue with my eyesight.

Lastly, very happy with Neuvirth's performance. He was very good yesterday for the first 2 periods. He played big and showed off his athleticism multiple times. If we can get that type of goaltending, we should be in good shape (unlike what we have seen from Mason in game 1 for WPG and Murray for the Pens' first 2 games).

Comment

so, Murray was in goal last night for the Pens! Haaaaa!

Comment

Working...
                      X