Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food for thought (The Process)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    I am not disagreeing with not playing Morin. Just wondering if hex is thinking of sanheim's shakiness.

    Comment


    • #12
      A real big decision will have to be made by Hextall; soon.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by toothless joe
        Anybody watching the leafs rangers game?
        holy shit!! The leafs are for real lundqvist getting lit up.
        Check the score again ... 5-5 after two ...

        I live in leafs nation ... so sick of hearing about them.

        They’ve sucked for five decades ... finally have a good team ... but ... they aren’t winning the cup, yet, with THAT defense corps ....


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
          How much better are the Maple Leafs for those 6 playoff games? Would finishing with 6 fewer points and landing Nolan Patrick had been a better end result for their 2016-17 season?

          Is there a benefit to chasing wins? Is there a benefit to the "anything can happen" idea of scraping into the playoffs? Did the Flyers not prove that literally anything can hppen by taking home the #2 pick? Would they have been better served limping into the playoffs instead of landing Patrick?
          I completely understand your point here. You are right in the sense that if a teams feels that the current roster is not ready to compete for the stanley cup; then they shouldn't be running around come deadline time looking for the 1 or 2 guys that will eek them into a 7-8 seed. Conversely though; I'll just submit that us getting the #2 pick overall was ridiculously against the odds, so using it as an example is really stretching what could happen versus the way Tor did it. I recognize you noting that point, but it's still a very small chance that it could happen

          I will say that trying to be a dynasty is just damn near impossible. Look at Chicago, Boston, LA.... They all had their time in the sun. Their (former)GM keeps wanting to have the dream keep going , so it's sell the youth to keep the core + trade replacements. That was our problem with Holmgren. Is the nearly 100% opposite approach any better? The jury is surely still out, but I personally would rather have a crappy but competitive team for 2-3 years knowing that the next 2-3 could be truly awesome. If the latter 2-3 are not as skilled as hyped; then that's when you lay it at the feet of the GM and coach. (sorry for the drawn out response)
          Last edited by smkruzik; 10-07-2017, 10:33 PM.
          "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by smkruzik View Post

            I completely understand your point here. You are right in the sense that if a teams feels that the current roster is not ready to compete for the stanley cup; then they shouldn't be running around come deadline time looking for the 1 or 2 guys that will eek them into a 7-8 seed. Conversely though; I'll just submit that us getting the #2 pick overall was ridiculously against the odds, so using it as an example is really stretching what could happen versus the way Tor did it. I recognize you noting that point, but it's still a very small chance that it could happen

            I will say that trying to be a dynasty is just damn near impossible. Look at Chicago, Boston, LA.... They all had their time in the sun. Their (former)GM keeps wanting to have the dream keep going , so it's sell the youth to keep the core + trade replacements. That was our problem with Holmgren. Is the nearly 100% opposite approach any better? The jury is surely still out, but I personally would rather have a crappy but competitive team for 2-3 years knowing that the next 2-3 could be truly awesome. If the latter 2-3 are not as skilled as hyped; then that's when you lay it at the feet of the GM and coach. (sorry for the drawn out response)
            I guess, for me, the Flyers had a better chance of walking away with the #2 pick than the Leafs had of winning the Cup last year. I fully realize mathematically that's not true...but there are issues beyond the raw math when it comes to likelihood of winning the cup...but that goes to the point you made about recognizing when you're not truly competitive.

            My concern with the current direction of the club, is that Hexy shows a similar penchant for veteran players...he just signs them to curious FA deals...while stocking youth on the farm that he's exceptionally hesitant to let loose...you can;t take a build thru the draft approach and also be afraid of turning your roster over to the kids....it's self-defeating...

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post

              I guess, for me, the Flyers had a better chance of walking away with the #2 pick than the Leafs had of winning the Cup last year. I fully realize mathematically that's not true...but there are issues beyond the raw math when it comes to likelihood of winning the cup...but that goes to the point you made about recognizing when you're not truly competitive.

              My concern with the current direction of the club, is that Hexy shows a similar penchant for veteran players...he just signs them to curious FA deals...while stocking youth on the farm that he's exceptionally hesitant to let loose...you can;t take a build thru the draft approach and also be afraid of turning your roster over to the kids....it's self-defeating...
              well put. I can't disagree
              "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

              Comment


              • #17
                You need a solid balance of both, and with a slow transition. I've seen first hand what happens when you put in too many skilled youth at once (who are much higher picks than the Flyers prospects)... Edmonton Oilers.

                It's a horrible mess and hard to recover from when a prospects confidence is shot and the team goes into a tail spin and there are little vets to rely on. Thrusting them into the spot light too soon can be a huge detriment to their careers and long term plan of the team.

                Unless you have a McJesus, I agree with Hextall's patience.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Rev your man crush on Morin is cute . I think you might be overthinking this tho. Perhaps Morin is 8th on the depth chart. I too would like to see Sam get his first game as he has been patiently waiting and working...but maybe in the eyes of the org he is not quite there.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by irvdog View Post
                    Rev your man crush on Morin is cute . I think you might be overthinking this tho. Perhaps Morin is 8th on the depth chart. I too would like to see Sam get his first game as he has been patiently waiting and working...but maybe in the eyes of the org he is not quite there.
                    *Yawn*

                    Damn near everyone watching the preseason gave Morin the nod over Sanheim, the problem with Morin (or more aptly with the team) is they have a mancrush on two-way dmen...it continues to hurt the blue line development...

                    Any time someone brings up "but maybe in the eyes of the org.." I look at everything they say about MacDonald that is demonstrably false...and realize that stepfords will always agree with the org...no matter how bad it gets..

                    that said...the problem with Morin is that he needs to be playing, if it's not with the big club, in the AHL...bringing him on this road trip and letting him sit out is ludicrous....they don;t play again until Tuesday....did the purse strings get tight after Ed passed..they can;t afford to fly him back on his own?

                    Hextall..tho this is unpopular for folks with *crushes* is doing exactly what he said wouldn't happen...a kid has been sitting in the box instead of playing...and if it's not a big deal..why not let someone else sit for a game...because it's.not.a.big.deal. right?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      The blue chip prospects, Provorov (#7), Patrick (#2), Couturier (#8), made it immediately. Not to say draft position is everything, but they were far more ready to be NHL players, because they are... better players.

                      However not every prospect is that great. Sanheim was considered a stretch at the time and Morin was a project even at #11. Lindblom was also a project with upside. Laughton was a late 1st pick but how long has it taken him to be effective? We're not drafting a lot of blue chip prospects, we're drafting lots of sleepers and projects, because those are the picks we have (because we have a team built to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs every year, but thats a diff issue...) And kudos to the scouting staff for finding the players they have.

                      I was all wtf? at keeping both sanheim and morin on the roster, but I'm cool with it until the road trip is over. Keeping Morin around to absorb the NHL experience is more beneficial than a few more games in the AHL. We're just getting them acclimated as makes sense.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X