Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food for thought (Couturier/Schenn)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Food for thought (Couturier/Schenn)

    Couturier and Schenn

    Flyers fans spent the last 6 seasons debating who was better, but will separation give us a better means of gauging these two?

    This isn't a debate about trading Schenn, it was necessary -

    What this season offers is a chance to see the two in a similar situation for the first time...

    In the very early goings of the season...

    Couturier offers up
    3 games played, 1 Goal, 3 Points, 0 PPP, +5, 19:38 ATOI, 44FO, 21 FOW, 47.7 FO%

    Schenn
    2 games played, 1 Goal, 4 Points, 1 PPP, +3, 18:15 ATOI , 28FO, 15FOW, 53.6 FO%

    **Both are second on their teams in FO


    I'm curious to see this one play out...


  • #2
    I dunno why we compare players. As if we have to pick one.

    I'm more interested in evaluating the Schenn trade by itself. You're likely talking about trading a 60pt player for 2 late 1sts, which aren't worth that much. (oh and we had to take a salary dump back) Was Schenn's overall game contribution muted by his bad corsi numbers and poor NZ play? Was his power play prowess just a function of Giroux?

    I agree with the principle of the trade: recycle one dimensional second line wingers into new prospects. However I also feel like what we got back was a little light. I also thought it was strange to make a fairly big move like that at the draft... couldn't we have gotten more by shopping him? Maybe it was all pre-arranged.

    Comment


    • #3
      I find this to be an iinteresting thread and one many of us will be going back and forth on. For me, there are also intangibles in Colts game that are not visible in stats. But there is no denying that they both have had very good starts.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe hextall will turn the two first rounders we have into a top 8 pick. Who the f$ck knows!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by clumsysnake View Post
          I dunno why we compare players. As if we have to pick one.

          I'm more interested in evaluating the Schenn trade by itself. You're likely talking about trading a 60pt player for 2 late 1sts, which aren't worth that much. (oh and we had to take a salary dump back) Was Schenn's overall game contribution muted by his bad corsi numbers and poor NZ play? Was his power play prowess just a function of Giroux?

          I agree with the principle of the trade: recycle one dimensional second line wingers into new prospects. However I also feel like what we got back was a little light. I also thought it was strange to make a fairly big move like that at the draft... couldn't we have gotten more by shopping him? Maybe it was all pre-arranged.
          I think one of the biggest things to watch in this..is if Schenn finds his legs as a center... the Flyers remain hesitant to push Couturier out of the C spot (even G makes way for Coots).

          The notion of Schenn as 1-dimensional is curious...he scored at ES and on the PP, was also a physical presence...

          Comment


          • #6
            I predict Schenn will score 30 goals this year.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              I predict Schenn will eat all the desserts on the dessert tray... nightly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by krash
                I predict Schenn will score 30 goals this year.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Hope so ... have him in my hockey pool ...

                I Always liked him as a player...tough for me to see him not here

                But realistically ... we arenít winning the cup any time soon ... that was an excellent return the Flyers got for him ...





                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Strohs72

                  Hope so ... have him in my hockey pool ...

                  I Always liked him as a player...tough for me to see him not here

                  But realistically ... we arenít winning the cup any time soon ... that was an excellent return the Flyers got for him ...





                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad trade, but I still wouldn't be surprised if Schenn nets 30+ this year. Plus, it sure would be nice to have him centering Simmonds and Weal instead of Filpulla. Realistically, I suppose they needed to clear space for Patrick down the road. However, the fact that they moved G to LW would have created space for Schenn, Coots, and Patrick for years to come.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    http://donttellmeaboutheart.blogspot...lue-chart.html - I always refer to this chart to get a sense of pick value

                    I'm just wondering how much value those picks really have. it was a #27 and their 1st rounder this year. Late first rounders are more like 2nds than 1sts. Schenn was the #5 overall... would you try the #5 overall for #27 and the blues 1st this year?

                    But actually according to that chart a #5 is worth a little less than #27 + #20. We also absorbed their cap problem. So maybe this was actually a fair trade. GMs are so analytical and rational!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X