No announcement yet.

GDT: Flyers at Preds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno, heartbreaker, but lots of weird things happen in the first 10 games of a season. Teams, players, referees, and coaches arent in "mid-season form" yet. The weise penalty was definitely a make-up call. He was jumping out of the way of the defender, who then obstructed him, and then weise dragged him down. Thats a non-call normally.

I'm not that butthurt. This team can score, has heart, speed, grit, and they are fun to watch! That's more important to me than winning or losing a single game. And all the kids are improving every game.

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone else noticed a marked improvement in ghost's defensive zone coverage? He'll never be a shutdown guy but he doesn't look lost anymore like he did sometimes in his first two seasons. I really like his game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post

i agree with that in a way..people are blowing it out of proportion when ultimately..11 goals were scored and Rinne is supposed to be an elite goalie..so neither team played fantastically
      I was watching the game with my fiance and told her how much this game reminded me of the Laviolette days.

Comment

Originally posted by IceHokie
        The Weise penalty seemed like bullshit, but that MacDonald penalty was one of the dumbest things I've seen. I hate him so much I don't care if he scored.
        I thought the Weisse penalty was a penalty (lame considering the time of game and score), but I thought the mcd penalty was the NAS player stepping on his stick as she was moving his stick away. I thought that was an awful call. Baffling as per Bill Clement...

Really tough loss love how they battled back in a hostile territory ... but to lose like that has to be heartbreaking ... hopefully it doesn’t carry over ...

Thought it was a bad challenge if they had access to the views that were eventually shown on the broadcast ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wouldn't Morin have been useful in the 5 on 3?

Comment

Originally posted by lynchmob450 View Post
            Wouldn't Morin have been useful in the 5 on 3?
            Wouldn't a goalie with a spectacular 27 save performance less than a week ago been nice in stopping quite a few of those soft goals that got us in the 3-0 hole in the first place? Seriously Hak...

Agree with most of the others though that the team on the ice did not play terribly. Showed a lot of heart out there and it's promising to see 4 lines that all look competent out there rather than relying on 1 line, or a 4-5 guys alone.
            "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post

i agree with that in a way..people are blowing it out of proportion when ultimately..11 goals were scored and Rinne is supposed to be an elite goalie..so neither team played fantastically
              I'll admit I was caught up in the moment and had some reactions to the way it went down. Looking back, if we're gonna lose, it might as well be on the road to a West Coast team. The Flyers aren't perfect, but they showed a lot of heart last night. It just ran out at the end.

Comment

I don;t get blaming Elliott, there are a lot of saves he'smade in the early goings (Neuvirth too) that have kept this team alive, especially early...

This D is still a work in progress...even on the "soft goals" last night you can find someone who didn;t make the right coverage or pick up the play...that hartnell goal where he literally skates past macDonald for the scoring opportunity...yeah....

Comment

Don't blame the refs for those calls. Weise was stupid -- you know you've had 5 power plays to the opposition's 1 so the officials are going to call something if given the chance. That's just the way it is. Could you have called offsetting minors, giving the defenseman interference as well? Sure. But Weise grabbed the guy around the head as he jumped through and essentially bulldogged him to the ice. That's what was called -- holding. If he doesn't grab the guy there's no call. And on the MacDonald call, he may have been pulling his stick back but when stick hits skate and the player goes down, the call is going to be made most of the time. Unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

I want to know who ultimately made the call to challenge the goal. That was STUPID and it most likely cost us at least one point. I didn't see anything in all of the reviews they showed which could be considered definitive, and in that situation knowing the consequences you just have to let it go. Why risk it? You're on the road at the end of a four game trip and can grab a point then take your chances in overtime. It was a horrible decision and that's on the coaching staff (whether it's Hak or their video guy being adamant about it). You simply have to look at the situation and it feels like they didn't do that. They played Russian Roulette and lost.

All in all, a gutsy effort and this team is fun to watch. They skate 60 minutes and roll four lines. I think the defense is settling in nicely with Sanheim now looking pretty good after a few games. I actually thought MacDonald played a very strong game until the end. Same for Weise (and I can't stand him most of the time). But those mistakes at the end were extremely costly. Hopefully they learn from them. Elliott had an okay game, the first Hartnell goal being the soft one (kicked the rebound out to him and didn't get set for what was really a weak shot). I kind of question the fourth goal as well...looked like one of those "butterfly effect" goals where Forsberg had no angle and Elliott went down giving him that short side top corner. Stand up and there's nothing available.

Anyway, hoping there's no road trip hangover and they come out firing on all cylinders for the home opener Saturday.
                  Mike Barr, Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Rev_Bully View Post
                    I don;t get blaming Elliott, there are a lot of saves he'smade in the early goings (Neuvirth too) that have kept this team alive, especially early...

This D is still a work in progress...even on the "soft goals" last night you can find someone who didn;t make the right coverage or pick up the play...that hartnell goal where he literally skates past macDonald for the scoring opportunity...yeah....
                    I agree Rev...Elliott made some saves to keep them in it (especially the breakaway in the first minute of the game)...it's those very soft goals (Hartnell and Forsberg's game winner), at the worst time, that stick out most!

Comment

It's not that I'm playing the hate Elliott game. I realize there's going be good games and bad; tough goals, and soft goals. It's Hak going with Elliott that was more mind boggling to me. If Neuvirth had gone into LA, and let in 4-5 goals on 27 shots; then sure; you're just going with the odds in your 1A/1B style of goaltending. Problem is; you should be going on the odds with your 1A/1B style of goaltending. Elliott got the start in ANA. He didn't play bad; he got the win, but there was nothing there that said "my God, we need to ride this guy for all he's worth".

Again, my issue last night was not with Elliott as much as it was with Hak.
                      "When over a quarter of young adults are too fat to fight, we need to take notice," Barnett said. He noted that national security in the year 2030 is "absolutely dependent" on reversing child obesity rates

Comment

Working...
                      X